• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LOXJIE D20

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Everything arrived and here is what a LOXJIE stack looks like:
View attachment 18481
And here is a size comparison to a keyboard and the Topping D50 on the left:
View attachment 18482
It all just looks .... Gorgeous !
The only thing i'm on the fence about keeping is the A10 amp (the triangle thing red) as it has a noticeable power amp hum after about 10 o'clock, there is also a channel imbalance in the low volumes...

I've got a few of the ~$30 tpa3116 amps. They also have the hum, and the volume knob issues, it's due to gain being set too high, I think around 32-36db. I've changed the tiny surface mount resistors on mine to bring the gain down to 20db. This eliminated the hum, and made the volume knob more usable.
tpa3116 gain settings.PNG

Last edited:

Noodles

My A10 has no hum I can hear. There is a teardown of the A10 on Youtube. The board looks well organized like the other SMSL/Sabaj stuff, and they are using nice looking well finished aluminum cases.

But the first 3 Loxjie releases seem sort of random...not designed to go with each other. Medium Priced Unbalanced DAC, Value Priced Balanced Hybrid Headphone Amp, and Cheap Oddly Shape amp. But I like all three except that connecting them to each other requires a couple of Y cables.

I think you have collected the majority of triangular audio components (2). ;)
I agree and I do like the LOXJIE products so far... However I did end up returning the D20 as my SMSL SU8is now serving as a balanced source for both SH8 and P20 and I also have it's unbalanced RCA split to the A10 and a JDS Atom.
Waiting to see if they bring out a nice colorful fully balanced version of the D20 .... If they do I will jump on that.
So far I'm fairly satisfied with my sources.

I love what LOXJIE has done ... They brought life to an otherwise very very dull space

Noodles

I've got a few of the ~$30 tpa3116 amps. They also have the hum, and the volume knob issues, it's due to gain being set too high, I think around 32-36db. I've changed the tiny surface mount resistors on mine to bring the gain down to 20db. This eliminated the hum, and made the volume knob more usable.
View attachment 18720
If I ever get an itch for soddering again, I'll make sure and do the same. Thanks for sharing your findings.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If I ever get an itch for soddering again, I'll make sure and do the same. Thanks for sharing your findings.

Might want to do it while your eyesight is still good. Those resistors are really tiny.

KR8NUX

Seeing that the SU8 is basically from the same company as the Loxjie, I expect them to make a rehash of it soon with the Loxjie branding, red colour and similar external case form.

yue

I did some measurements but since amirm already has his unit let's wait and see what his measurements will be.

Here's my amazon review:

This is a very interesting desktop DAC+Amp combo. I have pretty good impression on it. Here’s the Pros and Cons you should be aware of when buying the product.

Pros:

- Build quality is excellent. You have a very nice aluminum enclosure, and comfortable multi purpose volume knob.

- It is very easy to use. Works almost out of box (Windows needs the driver from their official website).

- This one uses premium grade AKM DAC AK4497. The sound is crystal clear and transparent. Compared to other offerings (such as Topping DX3 Pro which has dual AK4493) at similar price range this one has better DAC specs. In fact I cannot hear any difference between this DAC and those $500+ ones. If you take a look at the market, you won't find AK4497 products in similar price range.

- USB, Optical, and Coaxial input are supported. The DAC will virtually work with all your digital sources.

- There’s a built in AC transformer, so it is expected to have very stable and low-noise power for the DAC and Amp.

- It comes with a remote.

Cons:

- The accompanying power cord is a little bit too short. You may want to use a longer one. Built in transformer only supports 110V-120V, and won’t work in 220V countries. (Some DAC offerings have a switch for the two AC voltages).

- The screen is a too small. If you use it on your desk within reach of your hand it’s fine. But you can’t see it when you are a few feet away from it — with a remote control the screen is supposed to be readable in that situation.

- The build in amplifier doesn’t use off the shelf op-amp circuitry. It contributes more to the noise and distortion than the DAC part, and becomes the performance bottleneck. Power is quite limited compared to other offerings (such as the legendary Objective 2 amplifier). The output impedance is as high as 23 Ohms, making it unsuitable to pair with low impedance headphones — thus, I only recommend you use it with a high impedance headphones, such as the 300 Ohms Sennheiser HD600 series.

Nevertheless, this is only a small drawback, as the DAC alone is already very competitive among the sub-$300 DAC market.

Overall I am happy to see such a well designed DAC product at sub-$300 price range. You will get more than what you pay for.

yue

Works fine in 220v countries.
there's a 220v version and a 110v version. But you can't use the 110v version in 220v countries or vice versa. While for Topping DX7s and SMSL SU-8, you can as there's a switch

Noodles

Seeing that the SU8 is basically from the same company as the Loxjie, I expect them to make a rehash of it soon with the Loxjie branding, red colour and similar external case form.
I sure hope so as i like the brand more than the parent company ... they make me smile each time i look at my P20 and A10 :)

yue

View attachment 19054
Well not really, there's only 1 version and the power supply is switching.

sorry it doesn't automatically. the power supply has terminals for both voltage and needs a manual switch, which is not present on the device.

SU-8 has the same power supply. if what you said is true, could you explain why there's a manual switch?

yue

View attachment 19054
Well not really, there's only 1 version and the power supply is switching.
More proofs that you're not correct:

package has indication that it's 110v only

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 1.24.52 PM.png

device also has it

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 1.24.58 PM.png

in theory you can rewire the transformer terminal to make it able to work in 220v countries. but that voids the warranty and is dangerous if you don't have electrical knowledge.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
package has indication that it's 110v only
That just may mean which AC cable is supplied with it. I will test mine but the picture shown clearly indicates it would automatically work with 240 volt.

Kakleta

That just may mean which AC cable is supplied with it. I will test mine but the picture shown clearly indicates it would automatically work with 240 volt.
Please tell me, did you find out if this device supports a voltage of 220 v?

Top Bottom