• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D10 - an interesting product to put on the radar?

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MLJVPZN/ - $129 and it has a SABRE 9038Q2M in it. So while it'll probably have the hump, and the shape of that DAC is ridiculous, what's not ridiculous is the possibility for the kind of performance we've seen from other 9038 devices for just a few bucks more than the Khadas Tone Board (and you get the benefit of three inputs you can switch between easily).

Unfortunately, the D20 kinda stinks: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-loxjie-d20-dac-and-headphone-amp.6011/

Fortunately, it uses a totally different DAC chip.

Hmm! Do wish it had a remote.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fortunately, it uses a totally different DAC chip.

Hmm! Do wish it had a remote.
Well the one thing these reviews have shown over the years is that the DAC chip itself isn’t as important as the implementation. There are often much bigger influences from power supply, board layout and the analogue output stage on the performance of DACs than the converter chip it uses.

OP
W

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Well the one thing these reviews have shown over the years is that the DAC chip itself isn’t as important as the implementation. There are often much bigger influences from power supply, board layout and the analogue output stage on the performance of DACs than the converter chip it uses.

Right, but with this being from the same parent company as SMSL, and them producing some good results with their Sabre products (eventually, in the case of the SU-8) and reports all over the place of issues with AK4497 DACs, I'm optimistic here.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This DAC needs to come with this here sign...

J5063.png

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, but with this being from the same parent company as SMSL, and them producing some good results with their Sabre products (eventually, in the case of the SU-8) and reports all over the place of issues with AK4497 DACs, I'm optimistic here.
Therein lies the problem. When the same company produces both good and poor implementations one wonders how many design teams they have or even if design (I don't mean the styling here) is sub-contracted.
When one looks at how many different stylings the products have this seems entirely possible to me.

Top Bottom