• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 vs SMSL DA-9 ?

OP
P

pwn87

My setup is PC->Topping D30 via toslink->A20a
Since I have no idea what "analagous inputs" are and a google search was unsatisfying I must assume I am not.
I can also say that I had no hiss when I previously used other amps; yamaha r-s202, nad 3020v2 and aiyima a07 was my progression. The Yamaha was too big. The NAD ran far too hot. The Aiyima was solid. The A20a is far better.

Side note: since I use my PC as my only source I run the Peace UI on top of Equalizer APO with all other APO's disabled and apparently get a very satisfactory signal. The EQ for my Q150's is very minor but very noticeable. I made a half dozen profiles until I made one that made me happy. Switching profiles is just a click.
with analogous i meant inputs other than optical/bluetooth/usb, i guess you're running cinch cables from your dac to the amp which is an analogous method.

i just tried to unplug the balanced analogous cables from the amp and the hiss was almost gone, only a really slight amount of amplifier hiss, even at max volume.. so i guess it actually is my dac. i edited the paragraph in my review accordingly

Last edited:

bud947

@pwn87 the Sabaj A20a is analogous only (balanced XLR + line RCA).
From my research, DA-9 and A20a are very similar both in design and sound quality, but there is far less (none ?) issues with A20a this is why I ordered one for myself.
I think you should try the A20a as it may resolve the issues you have with the DA-9

OP
P

pwn87

the strange thing is that the loxjie has a perfectly flat frequency response on the review, while the da-9 definitively has more treble and i think also bass.
this makes it really hard to tell which one would sound better if you use an equalizer...
i wonder if the measurements would show a perfectly flat frequency response for the da-9 too

Last edited:

Pavko

the strange thing is that the loxjie has a perfectly flat frequency response on the review, while the da-9 definitively has more treble and i think also bass.
this makes it really hard to tell which one would sound better if you use an equalizer...
i wonder if the measurements would show a perfectly flat frequency response for the da-9 too

Which one in the end did you decide to keep? I'm thinking about Loxjie a30 or SMSL AO200 but can't make up my mind. I plan to pair it with Triangle Borea BR02 as a desktop setup and in the future add some good DAC.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
the loxjie might have like 5-10% less speaker hiss (absolutely unnoticeable), and the device itself is also very quiet so you can put it on your desk (this was unthinkable of with the da-9)
Maybe I misunderstood something, but why would it be unthinkable to put the DA-9 on your desk?

dunkink

I returned Loxjie A30 for DA-9 because DA-9 sounds punchier in the bass. Considering the dynamic range of the music that I am listening to, I believe DA-9 is more beneficial and has less distortion in higher peak power.

gasolin75

My Loxjie A30 has enough power to rock my 50m^2 / 540ft^2 room with Focal Aria 948s. It is really impressive. I don't think I have ever maxed it out. -25dB is super loud, and must be just a few watts. Inefficient speakers may need more juice, but most speakers and rooms will be fine.

shure, with 92.5 rated sensitivity and goes down to under 3 ohm

gasolin75

Warm sounding spwakers are without any doubt Dali Spektor 1, if spektor 2 also the same kind of wamr sound as the spektor 1 i don't know, i just know the spektor 1 are really good but have low senstivity

gasolin75

I have a Fosi Audio BT20A, I considered the Loxjie a30 but got the fosi audio amp over the amp and Aiyima A07

To me it's an fantastic amp, no pop noise on/off, sound is on with absolutely no delay, no noise,hiss, great power, 2x50 watt in 4 ohm (4 ohm,86db speakers) flawless bluetooth, it's exceeds my Rotel A11 Tribute in some areas, value for money and i think the soundstage might be wider than my rotel amp, sound fantastic when listen to the yello vidoes on tidal hifi.

Im highly impressed with the lowe noise,hiss,distortion the amp has, even power is surprisingly high, i just had to adjust the highs and lows since 12 o'clock isn't neutral.

D

Deleted member 9685

LOXJIE A30 is good enough with high enough SINAD and high enough SNR. SMSL DA-9 is more expensive than LOXJIE A30.

BlueCaiman

I have run the following integrate amp/DAC combos including the Loxjie A30, SMSL DA-9, and comparable setups. These have been run through Klipsch, Pioneer, and JBL speakers (old and new)

A30: best all around DAC/integrated amp. I have run this as a 2.0/2.1, and it does well with a range of inputs and speakers. I currently use this to run a 2.1 HT setup (optical) or as a stereo (USB/BT) and it sounds great with all the inputs I've tried. I wish it had a DAC/preamp out, but I can live without it.

SMSL DA-9/various DACs: very accurate and has the most adjustability in terms of eq. I didn't like the power amp eq at first (100khz and 10khz I believe), however, the SDB setting and running direct with another preamp works best.

Emotiva TA1- I don't like the TA1. Not to slam Emotiva, but I think they tried to do too much with the TA1. It's the jack of all trades and master of none. I have used it as a preamp for my tube amps, and used it as an integrated amp, but I don't think it excels in any of those roles compared to the other setups listed here.

Cambridge Audio AXA35/various DACs: Save the best for last. This is the best all around setup for my application. The AXA35 doesn't have as many features as the A30 or TA-1, but if you want a high quality class AB integrated amplifier that you can pair with multiple DACs/preamps, with multiple inputs, and a phono stage (I don't listen to vinyl), then it's probably the best choice in this range. My main setup is currently: Topping EX5, AXA35, and Klipsch Quartets, which sounds really good at all volumes, specifically for music. When I watch youtube videos, movies, etc, I swap out the quartets for Klipsch RF-3s, and this setup does well. For reference, my listening space is 15'x15', with the speakers placed in the corners approximately 1' from the walls.

If you have the space, my nod goes to the AXA35; if space is a constraint, I would pick the SMSL DA-9 and pair it with a good DAC. For a "one and done solution", you can't go wrong with the Loxjie A30.

D

Deleted member 9685

@BlueCaiman Simplicity is the highest form of sophistication. Make your setup simpler.

I would just use a good DAC and a good power amplifier. I would not use bluetooth because it complicates things too much.

I listen to music only when I'm in front of my computer. I have a smartphone but keep it off for months at a time. It forces me to be alone with myself and meditate when I'm not in front of my computer. That's the kind of simplicity I aim for.

Portable smart devices and bluetooth audio would pester me all day. I often want to be alone without technologies.

BlueCaiman

@BlueCaiman Simplicity is the highest form of sophistication. Make your setup simpler.

I would just use a good DAC and a good power amplifier. I would not use bluetooth because it complicates things too much.

I listen to music only when I'm in front of my computer. I have a smartphone but keep it off for months at a time. It forces me to be alone with myself and meditate when I'm not in front of my computer. That's the kind of simplicity I aim for.

Portable smart devices and bluetooth audio would pester me all day. I often want to be alone without technologies.
Agreed, and that's why my main listening setup is a DAC/AXA35 hooked up to Klipsch Quartets, with no eq or subwoofer. I have different applications, such as home theater, gym, garage, kitchen, backyard, parties where others want to play music, etc- hence I have different setups for each application. I think that's part of what makes electronics/audio equipment fun is that there are so many different options and combinations you can put together, and they will all be unique in their own way; some may sound great and some may sound terrible.

MarkWinston

I have run the following integrate amp/DAC combos including the Loxjie A30, SMSL DA-9, and comparable setups. These have been run through Klipsch, Pioneer, and JBL speakers (old and new)

A30: best all around DAC/integrated amp. I have run this as a 2.0/2.1, and it does well with a range of inputs and speakers. I currently use this to run a 2.1 HT setup (optical) or as a stereo (USB/BT) and it sounds great with all the inputs I've tried. I wish it had a DAC/preamp out, but I can live without it.

SMSL DA-9/various DACs: very accurate and has the most adjustability in terms of eq. I didn't like the power amp eq at first (100khz and 10khz I believe), however, the SDB setting and running direct with another preamp works best.

Emotiva TA1- I don't like the TA1. Not to slam Emotiva, but I think they tried to do too much with the TA1. It's the jack of all trades and master of none. I have used it as a preamp for my tube amps, and used it as an integrated amp, but I don't think it excels in any of those roles compared to the other setups listed here.

Cambridge Audio AXA35/various DACs: Save the best for last. This is the best all around setup for my application. The AXA35 doesn't have as many features as the A30 or TA-1, but if you want a high quality class AB integrated amplifier that you can pair with multiple DACs/preamps, with multiple inputs, and a phono stage (I don't listen to vinyl), then it's probably the best choice in this range. My main setup is currently: Topping EX5, AXA35, and Klipsch Quartets, which sounds really good at all volumes, specifically for music. When I watch youtube videos, movies, etc, I swap out the quartets for Klipsch RF-3s, and this setup does well. For reference, my listening space is 15'x15', with the speakers placed in the corners approximately 1' from the walls.

If you have the space, my nod goes to the AXA35; if space is a constraint, I would pick the SMSL DA-9 and pair it with a good DAC. For a "one and done solution", you can't go wrong with the Loxjie A30.

Which is more neutral and accurate, the axa35 or the da9?

Top Bottom