• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 vs NAD D3020 V2

Zero_Day

Hey there guys.

I am in the market for budget amp for my pair of wharferdale diamond 12.1

It so happens that shipping a Loxjie A30 from France (I love in EU) costs the same as a used NAD D3020 V2, they both come at ~200€

I will use the digital input to connect to my tv from which I stream music and watch movies in equal parts. In the future I might add a sub which both support and I've also been thinking about a turntable. Which one would be best?

SMc

My D3020 has been a dependable part of my tv system for years but it won’t do phono without a phono preamp.

delta76

Major Contributor
where will you buy Loxjie A30 from? If it's amazon or some retailers that allow free return (30 days etc.), then go with it and return if you don't like it.

delta76

Major Contributor
It is a retailer. Audiophonics.fr
I'm quite sure amazon.de sells this product as well (and other amazon EU pages). Heard good things about audiophonics but they probably don't have convenient and generous return policies like amazon

OP
Z

Zero_Day

Sure, the problem is that this whole process will take days and since Greece is a small country I am afraid the nad will have dissapeared.
Since the posting is not for the v2 nad I was thinking the Loxjie could be better since it it is way newer and as far as i know class d amps have gotten better in recent years.

Ismapics

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 6.40.11 PM.png
Hello Fellow Forum Members: I happen to have both here in my desk. I will listen to both at my normal levels. The Loxjie is the biased favorite as it has been here almost a year now. Pics may come in the weekend. Yes thats a 30 pin Apple connector (old iPod nano) and the headphone extension connected to the mini for conferencing.

OP
Z

Zero_Day

Oh that’s great! Although I have already bought the loxjie that’s gonna be really interestng.
Since you own the a30 I have a question. At what point do you hear clipping? For me when using a toslink input form the tv, it starts at about 41. Is this normal?

Ismapics

Oh that’s great! Although I have already bought the loxjie that’s gonna be really interestng.
Since you own the a30 I have a question. At what point do you hear clipping? For me when using a toslink input form the tv, it starts at about 41. Is this normal?
Yesterday I was listening at 44 up to 47, but the impedance of the speaker has also to do with that. As far as I know, I have never clipped the A30. I have for today a set of Micca RB42, as I am buying a set of ELAC Debut 6.2 from the FB market place tomorrow.

Ismapics

I listend to both on new to me Elac Debut 6.2 & Energy Sub in my Computer Audio Room. Verdict: I dont see a reason to keep the NAD. Its not bad, its just not the improvement I was expecting. Actually, to me the Loxjie sounded louder -no clipping- and fits perfectly under my computer and it has something the NAD does not. The Loxjie connects via USB to the M1 Mac Mini, with the NAD you need an external DAC or a way to convert to Optical or Coax the Computer Audio. The remote on the Loxjie feels better and the amp is more responsive to commands. In terms of size the NAD is almost double its size the A30. I have seen photos off the inside of the A30 that are scary in terms of QC control. However, my copy is working perfectly fine. It runs perfectly cool and its coming on to year 2 with ease.

So the NAD is going for sale right now. drop me a line if interested.

Attachments

• tempImagevOcD7l.png
    tempImagevOcD7l.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 163

SIK

I listend to both on new to me Elac Debut 6.2 & Energy Sub in my Computer Audio Room. Verdict: I dont see a reason to keep the NAD. Its not bad, its just not the improvement I was expecting. Actually, to me the Loxjie sounded louder -no clipping- and fits perfectly under my computer and it has something the NAD does not. The Loxjie connects via USB to the M1 Mac Mini, with the NAD you need an external DAC or a way to convert to Optical or Coax the Computer Audio. The remote on the Loxjie feels better and the amp is more responsive to commands. In terms of size the NAD is almost double its size the A30. I have seen photos off the inside of the A30 that are scary in terms of QC control. However, my copy is working perfectly fine. It runs perfectly cool and its coming on to year 2 with ease.

So the NAD is going for sale right now. drop me a line if interested.
The D3020 V1 has USB input, the V2 doesn't but has phono instead where as the V1 doesn't.

Absolutely love my D3020 V1, but love the stereo sound of my NAD AV-716 more althought it's a different beast.

Ismapics

The D3020 V1 has USB input, the V2 doesn't but has phono instead where as the V1 doesn't.

Absolutely love my D3020 V1, but love the stereo sound of my NAD AV-716 more althought it's a different beast.
I just saw your comment and Although I am still happy with the Loxjie, I just upgraded to a pair of ELAC DUR6 Debut Reference. I now feel that I need more power, but difficult to maintain the form factor. Looking at Yamaha Rotel and Cambridge see what I find. Keep in mind that this is for my Computer/home office.

NoMoFoNo

How far do you sit from the speakers when playing? If you are sitting in near field you likely need vanishingly low power for almost any speakers.

Ismapics

How far do you sit from the speakers when playing? If you are sitting in near field you likely need vanishingly low power for almost any speakers.

I am near, but the room also has a couch that I can get a bit away, not that I need much more, its just that dont like running things all the way to max, headroom is nice.

NoMoFoNo

Sure, but if you're within three feet, say, of the speakers and you're almost never using even a watt, even just 10 watts gives you all the headroom you'll ever need unless you want to destroy your hearing.

SIK

I just saw your comment and Although I am still happy with the Loxjie, I just upgraded to a pair of ELAC DUR6 Debut Reference. I now feel that I need more power, but difficult to maintain the form factor. Looking at Yamaha Rotel and Cambridge see what I find. Keep in mind that this is for my Computer/home office.
NAD D3020
58w @ 8 ohm
68w @ 4 ohm

Loxjie A30
18w @ 8 ohm
39w @ 4 ohm

Do you still have the NAD?

Otherwise there are other small amps (smaller than the Loxjie) that can put out 100w per channel, I don't remember off the top of my head but I can look them up if you're interested.

Ismapics

NAD D3020
58w @ 8 ohm
68w @ 4 ohm

Loxjie A30
18w @ 8 ohm
39w @ 4 ohm

Do you still have the NAD?

Otherwise there are other small amps (smaller than the Loxjie) that can put out 100w per channel, I don't remember off the top of my head but I can look them up if you're interested.
No I sold it to receiver $$, but I tested it, really did not like it. Specially the form factor.

Top Bottom