• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 sounds horrible compared to my Sony receiver

Waloshin

Just got the Loxjie A30 today compared to my Sony DN860 receiver the Loxjie A30 sounds horrible. The Sony receiver sounds very musically and really makes the speakers sing even on low volumes.

The Loxjie sounds horrible tinny and hollow sounding. Both the receiver and the Loxjie are running on direct mode through optical. Am I missing something?

Klipsch RB-62ii Kef Kube 2 subwoofer. If I can ot
Figure this out the Loxjie will have to go
back unfortunately

EDIT:

The sound has got incredibly better I can barley tell a difference now. Maybe the amp needed to warm up more as it was outside today in -30 I did let it warm up to room temperature, but maybe it needed more than that or possibly a few power cycles helped?

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm kind of not surprised, the Loxjie A30 is a pretty low end product and your speakers would be revealing.

Habbe

Brand new device = brand new condensors? They break in in a couple of hours.

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I always let electronics warm up to room temperature after coming through shipping in winter. Just generally good practice, if nothing else, any condensation in a case has time to dissipate.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I'm gonna go with subzero temperatures also. If the interior hadn't reached room temperature, some of the components may well have been outside spec.

wayneCravat

Just got the Loxjie A30 today compared to my Sony DN860 receiver the Loxjie A30 sounds horrible. The Sony receiver sounds very musically and really makes the speakers sing even on low volumes.

The Loxjie sounds horrible tinny and hollow sounding. Both the receiver and the Loxjie are running on direct mode through optical. Am I missing something?

back unfortunately

EDIT:

The sound has got incredibly better I can barley tell a difference now. Maybe the amp needed to warm up more as it was outside today in -30 I did let it warm up to room temperature, but maybe it needed more than that or possibly a few power cycles helped?
I'm having the same experience, but it has NOT gotten better. I thought it was OK after a while but came back to it a few days later and it is unlistenable. I can't understand this given the high marks and good-looking test results on this site. Manufacturing variability? I tried everything. Analog from high bitrate FLAC through a Dragonfly DAC, output from my turntable through an RIAA converter, USB from Foobar2000, and so forth.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

back unfortunately

EDIT:

Without question speakers measure differently when very cold vs not.
I just measured the impedance of a set after being outside. Very very different. However this mainly affects bass (generally the bass is reduced) which could throw the balance off making the sound bright/tiny
-30 is definitely very cold
I'd bet the amp just needed to warm up.

That said I most definitely have not actually tested this with an amp myself yet

tomtoo

Major Contributor
If you bring electronic from cold to warm. Always let it warm up a while, i mean a huge while. Air humidity condenses on the electronic, this can lead from strang effects to complete shortcuts. The devices have to warm up long enough that the condensated water again vapors. If you have some experience you can use a hair dryer to shorten that time. But never bring electronic from freezing cold in a room and switching on directly. At least if you not like to have some surprise. In the good old times you could read this in the manual. ;)

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom