• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 (ES9023) vs Loxjie D30 (AK4493) DAC

au3dio

Hi guys. Newbie here. Appreciate all the solid information and reviews put together here.

Current setup is (was) Mac Mini -> SMSL Q5 via USB -> Q Acoustics 2010i. I say was because the SMSL Q5 died after about 6 years of use, so currently in the market for a DAC + AMP. It's a modest desktop setup in a small room for casual listening.

I'm planning on getting a Loxjie A30 (when I can eventually find one). I understand this utilises the AK4493 DAC chip which is good but not great.

Could anyone tell me if there would likely be a significant improvement in my listening experience if I also opt for the Loxjie D30 which utilises the more respected AK4493 chip instead? In which case I'd feed the D30 via USB from my Mac Mini and connect that to the A30 via RCA. Or is the DAC of the Loxjie A30 more than capable?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys. Newbie here. Appreciate all the solid information and reviews put together here.

Current setup is (was) Mac Mini -> SMSL Q5 via USB -> Q Acoustics 2010i. I say was because the SMSL Q5 died after about 6 years of use, so currently in the market for a DAC + AMP. It's a modest desktop setup in a small room for casual listening.

I'm planning on getting a Loxjie A30 (when I can eventually find one). I understand this utilises the AK4493 DAC chip which is good but not great.

Could anyone tell me if there would likely be a significant improvement in my listening experience if I also opt for the Loxjie D30 which utilises the more respected AK4493 chip instead? In which case I'd feed the D30 via USB from my Mac Mini and connect that to the A30 via RCA. Or is the DAC of the Loxjie A30 more than capable?

No brainer- the A30 performs much better with digital input than analog https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/loxjie-a30-amplifier-review.17547/ Save your pennies.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand this utilises the AK4493 DAC chip which is good but not great.
Is that so?!

Anyway, don't go by the chip alone. Implementation is way more significant.
Could anyone tell me if there would likely be a significant improvement in my listening experience if I also opt for the Loxjie D30 which utilises the more respected AK4493 chip instead?
Absolutely not. You have to understand there is some kind of bottleneck anyway: The D30 performs waaay ahead relative to the A30 Amplifier abilities. The built-in chip in the A30 is more than capable enough relative to its speaker outputs performance.

Save your money.;)

Chrisr

Another newbie wanting to revive this thread as I am in a similar situation as OP. Basically I am trying to decide on if getting a D30+power amp is worth the extra money over just getting an A30?

I'm thinking about pairing the D30 with something like the project amp box s2 (open to suggestions though). The main reason for doing this would be if it could offer me better audio, driving both (low budget) headphones and (sorta decent) bookshelf speakers. Long term higher upgrade potential is nice, but definitely not crucial for me.

So yeah, is the D30 + amp a "better" setup than just going straight for the A30?

(Or should I just go straight for something completely different?)

Chrisr

Not quite. Pro Jext Amp S2 specs are nothing to rave about. Virtually as powerful as A30, and hasn't been measured there...

What speakers are you willing to drive?

The speakers are a bit of an issue (it's a long and not very interesting story). Basically for a limited time I want to drive a pair of (not yet purchased) floor standers that can be paired with more powerful (and perhaps higher end) system once I can afford it. At that point I want to move this amp to the home office and drive a pair of old bookshelf speakers.

So long term the A30/D30 would be paired with something like my old Zensor 1's that I have lying around, or possibly something new if I find they are worse than I remember them.

lkiss

Hello Everybody!
I have an idea on this issue. If I want to build a new small sound system for a small room which one is better.
Loxjie A30 + Polk Audio S20E or Loxjie D30 + Adam Audio T7V.
The source will be Raspberry Pi with Spotify (USB port) + TV (SPDIF) + Phone (BT).

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think i would go with D30 plus T7V.
Agreed. Better speakers and better headphone amp. But good luck finding a D30, and the V2 cost more and hasn't been reviewed yet. Also, the T8V is a better speaker for usually not much more money.

Walter

Sorry, just noticed that the post I replied to is almost 3 weeks old.

lkiss

Agreed. Better speakers and better headphone amp. But good luck finding a D30, and the V2 cost more and hasn't been reviewed yet. Also, the T8V is a better speaker for usually not much more money.

Unfortunately i missed to buy a D30 and i have to search an other model. I would like to buy a dac with AKM in similar price.
The T8V is too large for my room (3,6x6m; 11,8x19,7ft). And T8V is more expensive with 160dollars than T7v (in pair).

i thank your comment.

Walter

Unfortunately i missed to buy a D30 and i have to search an other model. I would like to buy a dac with AKM in similar price.
The T8V is too large for my room (3,6x6m; 11,8x19,7ft). And T8V is more expensive with 160dollars than T7v (in pair).

i thank your comment.
I absolutely do not think the T8V is too large for your room, but I did not know the price difference where you are. In the USA it is only $100.

Due to the fire, it is extremely hard to find an AKM DAC at a good price now. However, an ESS DAC should sound just as good or maybe better, if implemented correctly. The problem is finding a good one with Bluetooth.

Top Bottom