• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 Digital Power Amplifier

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Martynet

And what about Emotiva Airmotiv SE8?
Specs are:

Outputs: Stereo left and right unbalanced RCA stereo inputs
(with user-configurable 60/80/100 Hz high-pass bass management crossover).
Controls: Volume / X-Over Frequency (low-pass) / High-pass Crossover Frequency / Phase

Would that work better than the above or is it same case?

Attachments

• emotiva.jpg
    emotiva.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 261

escape2

In specs it says: Low Pass filter range 35–85Hz (10Hz steps)
Low-pass filter is to limit high frequencies going to the sub.

To prevent low frequencies going to your speakers, you need a high-pass filter.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Specs are:

Controls: Volume / X-Over Frequency (low-pass) / High-pass Crossover Frequency / Phase

It must be better. Except if you use a miniDSP or a tool like the ones you linked to, better to purchase a sub with both LP and HP filters, to relieve the mains and decrease distortion.

escape2

Specs are:

Yes, the Emotiva has a high-pass filter, which is what you want in your case.

Martynet

Yes, the Emotiva has a high-pass filter, which is what you want in your case.

Cost the double of SW150, but I'm sure it will also sound better :)
Thanks for the help. BTW I really like the A30 so far. They became best friends with my ifi Zen dac :)

escape2

BTW I really like the A30 so far. They became best friends with my ifi Zen dac :)
Any reason why you're not just connecting your A30 directly to your iMac? Wouldn't that be a cleaner setup?

Martynet

Any reason why you're not just connecting your A30 directly to your iMac? Wouldn't that be a cleaner setup?

Main reason is because ifi Zen dac is amazing and can do MQA. And I also think that the headphone amp is slightly better. But yes, as a basic setup A30 would be enough for most people.

mattzildjian

Cost the double of SW150, but I'm sure it will also sound better :)
Thanks for the help. BTW I really like the A30 so far. They became best friends with my ifi Zen dac :)

I still do not see how you will high pass your speakers with this sub though?
You cannot route your speaker wires through the Wharfedale sub, OR the emotiva sub.
The emotiva has high pass but only on RCA line level out.

I am in the same conundrum as you are, I am looking for a solution to this.

I noticed some subs like the Yamaha NSSW200 that have both speaker level inputs and outputs, but I cannot confirm if the outputs are actually applying any high pass.

escape2

You cannot route your speaker wires through the Wharfedale sub, OR the emotiva sub.
One set of RCA line level cables from preamp to sub. Second set of RCA line level cables from sub to A30. Speaker wires from A30 to B&W speakers.

mattzildjian

One set of RCA line level cables from preamp to sub. Second set of RCA line level cables from sub to A30. Speaker wires from A30 to B&W speakers.

Ah true, but I am using the USB-DAC on the A30, so I cannot route the signal through anything before it reaches the A30.

Not sure how Martynet is connecting, but he mentions he has another DAC so he can use that method.

Martynet

I am in the same conundrum as you are, I am looking for a solution to this.

I noticed some subs like the Yamaha NSSW200 that have both speaker level inputs and outputs, but I cannot confirm if the outputs are actually applying any high pass.

Was looking at the Yamaha sub and in manual it says that the nob on the back is to cut high frequencies out. So I think this could work.

Attachments

• yamaha.jpg
    yamaha.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 132

Martynet

Ah true, but I am using the USB-DAC on the A30, so I cannot route the signal through anything before it reaches the A30.

Not sure how Martynet is connecting, but he mentions he has another DAC so he can use that method.
Yes, I use Zen dac first. Just tested it with some Dire Straits songs and it sounds better than A30 dac, I think.

mattzildjian

Was looking at the Yamaha sub and in manual it says that the nob on the back is to cut high frequencies out. So I think this could work.

I also checked the manual and there is no mention of high pass on the speaker level outputs.

The knob you are referring to is the high cut for the subwoofer signal itself.

In your case, you are able to use your other DAC's line level output to pass through the emotiva sub, then into the A30, which will work.
However it is still not ideal, as it will be the only input on your A30 that will work with the sub, and all the other inputs like bluetooth, USB, optical, will not use the sub at all. Perhaps your other DAC has all these inputs anyway and you can just leave the A30 doing one job...

It's a real shame these little chinese amps don't ever seem to support a high pass feature for sub integration. It would solve this issue entirely.

Last edited:

Martynet

I also checked the manual and there is no mention of high pass on the speaker level outputs.

The knob you are referring to is the high cut for the subwoofer signal itself.

In your case, you are able to use your other DAC's line level output to pass through the emotiva sub, then into the A30, which will work.
However it is still not ideal, as it will be the only input on your A30 that will work with the sub, and all the other inputs like bluetooth, USB, optical, will not use the sub at all. Perhaps your other DAC has all these inputs anyway and you can just leave the A30 doing one job...

It's a real shame these little chinese amps don't ever seem to support a high pass feature for sub integration. It would solve this issue entirely.

True, but the RCA input is used most of the time... nearly 100%. So I'm ok with that. BTW, just for fun, I borrowed one of my two subs from downstairs setup, just to see how it sounds with A30. It's B&W ASW610 and I just connected it with one RCA to sub out on the AMP. And holy shit! It sounded fantastic... Totally forgot about frequencies cutoff, because whole system is much louder! And I use this setup mostly in lower volume. Which basically means, I can use any sub I want and it will sound just fine. I used 80Hz crossover on the back of the sub and turned on the low pass filter to IN position. Anyway, I'm returning the sub back downstairs, before I get used to it too much in here :) And will probably get the emotiva...

mattzildjian

True, but the RCA input is used most of the time... nearly 100%. So I'm ok with that. BTW, just for fun, I borrowed one of my two subs from downstairs setup, just to see how it sounds with A30. It's B&W ASW610 and I just connected it with one RCA to sub out on the AMP. And holy shit! It sounded fantastic... Totally forgot about frequencies cutoff, because whole system is much louder! And I use this setup mostly in lower volume. Which basically means, I can use any sub I want and it will sound just fine. I used 80Hz crossover on the back of the sub and turned on the low pass filter to IN position. Anyway, I'm returning the sub back downstairs, before I get used to it too much in here :) And will probably get the emotiva...

That's great! I am certainly thinking I might just use the A30 sub out and not bother about high passing the speakers. My speakers don't do a lot of bass anyway. (Wharfedale Diamond 220)

Pandawan

Hi everyone, I just received my Loxjie A30. Product at first sight very well finished, then I plugged it in to my android TV box in Toslink & immediately my speakers crackled very loudly. I tried after that to connect it to my TV directly & there it is not recognized at all. I tried to change the cable, to turn it over but nothing helped.

On the other hand, once in bluetooth, everything works fine.
Do you have any idea where this might come from?

Savi

Hi everyone, I just received my Loxjie A30. Product at first sight very well finished, then I plugged it in to my android TV box in Toslink & immediately my speakers crackled very loudly. I tried after that to connect it to my TV directly & there it is not recognized at all. I tried to change the cable, to turn it over but nothing helped.

On the other hand, once in bluetooth, everything works fine.
Do you have any idea where this might come from?

I use it with a Panasonic (2013) connected in toslink and it works well. Maybe try the toslink input of A30 with another device ? Have you already try your TV toslink output before ? Good Luck.

Top Bottom