• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

Steve.

In case anyone is interested, I recently tried this exact setup (Computer USB output routed through a USB-Toslink converter (Douk Audio U2) then connected to Loxjie A30 via Optical input) and found the sound to be noticeably improved in comparison to connecting to the Loxjie directly via it's USB input.

For context, I bought the Loxjie A30 about a month ago intending use it for 2 purposes: 1) As part of a desktop system connected directly to my Mac via USB, and 2) As part of multi-room system connected directly to a standalone music streamer via digital input (coaxial).

I immediately noticed that audio files played through my Mac via USB had a slightly lower volume output than identical files played through the streamer, which I assumed had something to do with the output levels of each device. But even when I adjusted the volume to compensate, I noticed that the sound played through the USB connection was noticeably less clear and dynamic than the digital connection, and couldn't figure out why.

More out of curiosity than anything, I decided to see if I could find some way to convert the USB signal to optical or coaxial in order to connect to a different input on the Loxjie. I honestly wasn't expecting much difference if any, but after converting the input signal, the difference was immediately apparent - much fuller and clearer. Like not subtle.

In addition, I noticed that when connected via the USB input, the display merely says "connected" but when routed through the optical converter it displays the actual output signal (44.1KHz, etc.)

I can only conclude that the device is set up in such a way that the signal received via USB input is processed differently than the other inputs. Why they would do it that way I have no idea, but I don't know how else to explain it.

Overall, I still think it's a great sounding little unit and don't regret buying it, but just be aware that if you are considering this device and planning to use the USB connection as your primary input, you may be disappointed unless you're willing to shell out some extra $$ for a USB/Toslink converter.
Thanks for doing this, I suspected as much and somewhat abandoned USB altogether. I currently use the digital input for my chromecast audio and toyed with the idea of adding a DAC but it became cost prohibitive. Makes me consider getting a larger integrated with more inputs. Thanks again

Overseas

Major Contributor
I use it for phone streaming by USB OTG, sounds just fine with Wf Diamond 9.1

Andy svk

I tried to put the power supply number LCAP 37 into Google, I found a power supply for LG tv which, however, has significantly lower performance than the Loxjie label

Pep2020

Just received the A30. Connected optical to optical on marantz cd5005 but shows 'no signal' on A30??

Zek

Major Contributor
Look in the optical cable on the DAC side for a red light.

Pep2020

If anyone is interested it was the marantz CD player that was the issue needs quite a specific configuration to activate the digital outputs. All works fine now. I saw above that some people were questioning sound via USB. Picoreplayer/pi4 seems to work well via this interface.

TheAgaveFairy

Anybody have contact information for Loxjie? Bought one on recommendation here, optical receiver on it is clearly broken and the seller is being *awful* about helping. Hoping for a repair option or something, I'm really disappointed we can't use this unit

Overseas

Major Contributor
Try another source. My optical input os from tv, it works swell.

TheAgaveFairy

The port won't accept a cable, it just falls out. We are using a full sized cable, not a mini, to be sure.

Andysu

Major Contributor
nope i don't need it ,

The micro-USB just floating and not fastened to the backplate properly scares me after my experience with SMSL micro-USB connectors.

kronosh

Hello,
I'm a fledgling audiophile (or so I think). I have been using the Loxjie A30 with ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2 since about the middle of the year.
Please write which way of conducting sound from your smartphone to Loxjie A30 will be the best (except BT, which will probably be the worst).
Below is the configuration:
(1) Smartphone: Motorola Moto G7 Plus;
(2) Soft: USB Audio Player Pro;
(3) Apple dongle cable dac (usb-c - mini jack);
(4) Cable minijack - 2xRCA;
(5) Loxjie A30 AMP&DAC
Is running an audio stream (e.g. Tidal -> master) with the track: 1->2->3->4->5 optimal and makes sense?

threni

Major Contributor
Hello,
I'm a fledgling audiophile (or so I think). I have been using the Loxjie A30 with ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2 since about the middle of the year.
Please write which way of conducting sound from your smartphone to Loxjie A30 will be the best (except BT, which will probably be the worst).
Below is the configuration:
(1) Smartphone: Motorola Moto G7 Plus;
(2) Soft: USB Audio Player Pro;
(3) Apple dongle cable dac (usb-c - mini jack);
(4) Cable minijack - 2xRCA;
(5) Loxjie A30 AMP&DAC
Is running an audio stream (e.g. Tidal -> master) with the track: 1->2->3->4->5 optimal and makes sense?
Can't you connect 2 to 5 via USB, and remove the need for the dongle and cables?

kronosh

Can't you connect 2 to 5 via USB, and remove the need for the dongle and cables?

of course I can connect directly to the USB port on the Loxjie A30. Nevertheless, I delude myself that the converted signal by Apple dongle and given to the aux input in Loxjie will give me more quality?

threni

Major Contributor
of course I can connect directly to the USB port on the Loxjie A30. Nevertheless, I delude myself that the converted signal by Apple dongle and given to the aux input in Loxjie will give me more quality?
Amir has reviewed both the DAC and the dongle. The dongle will be quieter.

Top Bottom