• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For people who want to go the optical way and save some bucks (well who doesn't ? :) ) I have a cheaper way to do it : instead of converting USB -> Optical I'm using an HDMI audio extractor -> optical instead. It's cheaper, 70€ for doug converter vs 26€ for this audio extractor.

Obviously it does work for audio sources with HDMI output (PC, raspberry, android tv boxes etc ) and not for phones.
That is a nice idea that might solve a problem I have using a RaspberryPI

Thanks.

grotesque

Hi everyone, I've been studying this rather long post and decided to take the plunge and order an A30. I'm setting up an arcade style gaming cabinet with a PC and a MiSTer inside, and was looking for a compact single unit that could handle DAC and Amp duties so this seemed to fit the requirement. The PC has an ASUS B650E-I motherboard that has both optical S/PDIF and 3.5mm outputs using a Realtek ALC4080 combined with a Savitech SV3H712 amp. The MiSTer can either output via mini Toslink or 3.5mm line out, it apparently doesn't have stellar analogue output quality but that's not super critical considering the audio of most of the games it will be outputting (1980's arcade games). There are 4 things I'd really appreciate some tips on so your guidance would be much appreciated.

1. Deciding which outputs from my devices to use with which inputs on the A30 (I've seen the extensive discussions regarding the USB vs Optical input). I assumed the simplest option was just to use the S/PDIF from the motherboard and the 3.5mm line out from the MiSTer to the corresponding ports on the A30. But considering the motherboard has (potentially) decent analogue output from its own DAC, would it make more sense to use the 3.5mm output of the PC and the mini Toslink from the MiSTer? Or to get an optical to digital coaxial converter and have both devices inputting digitally to the A30? That seemed excessive and probably the original plan is more than adequate for my needs. I saw that Amirm clarified on the 'low quality' analogue input so I just need to make sure the volume of the device outputting here is set to 90% for example?
  2. Would this amp have enough power to drive the Mark Audio CHR-90 full range drivers? I have looked at endless coaxial car speaker options and also heard great things about these full range drivers from Mark Audio so I'm just going round in circles there to decide which speakers to mount in the cabinet. These speakers are 8 Ohm / 40 Watt with 89.4dBSPL so I assume considering my distance from the cabinet (maximum approx. 2m playing light gun games) that the 18 W @ 8 Ohm output of the A30 will still be plenty.
  3. For a subwoofer to combine with the CHR-90's I was looking at the Cambridge Audio SX-120. Does this seem like a good option? It has a dial to adjust the frequency cross-over as it seems like this is definitely recommended when using a sub with the A30. Did I understand that correctly?
  4. Headphone output, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 400 PRO headphones and these are literally the only pair of wired headphones I own. They have an impedance of 120 Ohm so again I assume the A30 will have no problem driving them?

Thanks!

ClassicGuy

1. Deciding which outputs from my devices to use with which inputs on the A30 (I've seen the extensive discussions regarding the USB vs Optical input). I assumed the simplest option was just to use the S/PDIF from the motherboard and the 3.5mm line out from the MiSTer to the corresponding ports on the A30. But considering the motherboard has (potentially) decent analogue output from its own DAC, would it make more sense to use the 3.5mm output of the PC and the mini Toslink from the MiSTer? Or to get an optical to digital coaxial converter and have both devices inputting digitally to the A30? That seemed excessive and probably the original plan is more than adequate for my needs. I saw that Amirm clarified on the 'low quality' analogue input so I just need to make sure the volume of the device outputting here is set to 90% for example?

Optical is the better input on Loxjie, so I would connect your primary device via optical, and secondary device via whatever is convenient.

Analog input is adequate for normal usage, just not as good as optical. A high input signal helps eliminate sound quality issues.

Participant

Hi everyone.

I have just bought a Loxjie A30 and have spent hours reading all the posts in this thread.

Firstly let me say that this is my first foray into Chinese HiFi (my NAD D3020 having just broken and not wanting to spent £700+ on the 3045) and I am thoroughly delighted with what this thing can do. It runs super cool (especially compared to the furnace that was my D3020), is tiny, and sounds great through some fairly modest Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 floorstanders (88db, 4-8 ohm, 6 ohm nominal).

I too though am going through something of a 'journey' with USB vs. optical on this amp for my desktop PC stereo setup, starting with a bit of incredulity that they didn't use the best DAC for the USB input, moving to reluctant acceptance and eventually an optical connection.

Optical sounds better than USB to me (but that might just be because it's louder at a given volume setting), but I keep having this nagging thought about what the optical on my motherboard may or may not be doing to the signal before passing it to the DAC via optical, kind of like when your daughter goes on dates.

My motherboard is an MSI 450M Mortar Max, which I gather has a Realtek® ALC892/ALC897 audio chip. In spite of this average chip, is optical still a better approach than USB for me? I did find a thread about someone else using the USB connection on this amp who suspected that their Windows OS was doing something filthy to the signal, like restricting the frequency it passed to the amp, as the amp was recognised as headphones ( as it is in mine through USB, for some reason), but I think the muddiness they were hearing was probably just a symptom of a lower input signal through the USB input vis a vis the optical input.

Many thanks for any thoughts - hopefully assurance that optical is simply put, the best option?

P.S. I am not an audio technician nor audiophile, so please forgive any incorrect terminology.

ClassicGuy

Optical sounds better than USB to me (but that might just be because it's louder at a given volume setting), but I keep having this nagging thought about what the optical on my motherboard may or may not be doing to the signal before passing it to the DAC via optical, kind of like when your daughter goes on dates.

My motherboard is an MSI 450M Mortar Max, which I gather has a Realtek® ALC892/ALC897 audio chip. In spite of this average chip, is optical still a better approach than USB for me? I did find a thread about someone else using the USB connection on this amp who suspected that their Windows OS was doing something filthy to the signal, like restricting the frequency it passed to the amp, as the amp was recognised as headphones ( as it is in mine through USB, for some reason), but I think the muddiness they were hearing was probably just a symptom of a lower input signal through the USB input vis a vis the optical input.
Music/sound usually goes through a mixer before going to DAC in typical operating systems. That way the OS can notify you of your 2 o'clock meeting while Youtube is playing. Everything would be mixed to the sample rate and bit rate of the mixer setting. In Windows you can set the mixer sample rate.

Some applications can run in exclusive mode. I believe they can set the sample rate in those cases.

Participant

Music/sound usually goes through a mixer before going to DAC in typical operating systems. That way the OS can notify you of your 2 o'clock meeting while Youtube is playing. Everything would be mixed to the sample rate and bit rate of the mixer setting. In Windows you can set the mixer sample rate.

Some applications can run in exclusive mode. I believe they can set the sample rate in those cases.
Many thanks for this.

After my research I've done the following:

- Set Windows (11) volume levels to 100%
- Ensured all enhancements etc. are disabled in sound settings
- Set the audio output in Windows to 44.1KHz / 24 bit
- Set the amp to direct mode

From what I understand, aside from fiddling about with pass through to try and get bit perfect from optical on each source, this is as much as I can reasonably do to get the best sound quality in my setup.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Is this Audiophonics technically inferior to Loxjie A30 ? I love my A30 but need a second small amp so I am curious to try Audiophonics.

Participant

Well my A30 is going back. Optical stopped working. Shame as sounded great.

It was an open book so I might chance my arm with a brand new one...

Hapo

...I have just ordered one of these...did you try another...???... :oops:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this Audiophonics technically inferior to Loxjie A30 ? I love my A30 but need a second small amp so I am curious to try Audiophonics.
Why do people keep calling these audio processing chips DSPs? The TDA7419 is not. It’s an analog IC with digital control. This thing has an 80 SINAD at best, so is clearly the weak link. The A30 has a similar chip, however the NJW1194 boasts a 94 SINAD. The ESS DAC is totally wasted in the Audiophonics product. It does however have much more power and probably a more flexible EQ. It also lacks a headphone output.

Hapo

No, in the end I went separates and ordered an SMSL A300 amp and SMSL C200 DAC with headphone amp.

Very pleased.

...how do you feel the Loxjie A30 compares power wise...???...

...this German guy didn't think the SMSL A300 was as powerful as it claims to be...

...I almost bought one before I saw this:

I had the following devices at home for comparison:

1. Aiyima D03
2. Loxjie A30
3. SMSL A300
4. SMSL AO100

To 1.) Aiyima D03

- a permanent high-pass filter is active. There are no settings for this and also no on/off switch. As a test, I had an Elac Sub 3010 connected to the D03 and wanted to set the crossover frequency on the sub and noticed that my Wharfedale 11.1 (which goes down to 55 Hz), which was tested at the same time, was not really affected by the Elac (overlays). When comparing the Loxjie A30 and Aiyima D03, I was also able to clearly hear that the same speakers on the D03 no longer went down far enough in the bass range. Someone also shared this experience on the AudioScienceReview forum. This high-pass is a no-go because it is constantly active and also not adjustable. The D03 could then possibly work well in combination with a sub, but without a sub on the LFE, the frequencies at the bottom are missing.

- The display can neither be dimmed nor switched off; I found it annoying because the D03 was right under my TV and therefore in a straight line of sight of me.

- The font size is much too small; everything is still visible from a maximum of 1 m; nothing is legible anymore from my couch, where I am sitting at a distance of 3 meters.

- The D03 plays a bit louder than the Loxjie A30; obviously it had a bit more watts (the manufacturer's specifications are incorrect for all amplifiers); for me that was irrelevant, as I don't go over 25/60 with the Loxjie A30 anyway (volume current/max; for music) and usually set it to 11/60 (when I play movies and series with DRC or night mode activated).

- By the way, the most powerful power supply available was included here (36 watts 6 amps)

to 2.) Loxjie A30

- it has the best resolution of all four amps; you can hear more in all frequency ranges; the stage is wider than the other three; the bass is more intense, etc.

- the display can display in different colors; it can be switched off automatically and also completely deactivated; that's great when the amplifier is right under the TV, like mine. And the font size, at least the one for the volume, is large enough to to be able to recognize them easily even at a distance of 3 meters.

- The A30 plays louder up to volume 35/60 than the SMSL A300 (which should actually have twice as many watts) and also as the SMSL AO100. I tested this with Wharfedale 12.2 speakers (I had various speakers to test at home). “Younger” of the A300 (ASR Forum) and also the manufacturer themselves nevertheless claim that the A300 is twice as powerful as the other amps and that is due to the gain curve, which I think is mumbo jumbo, because it makes no sense to play quieter than half your performance up to 35/60 and then suddenly get crazy loud in the last 25 settings. So the A30 probably has more power than the A300 and AO100.

- The Bluetooth connection is absolutely stable; on the other hand, the AO100, for example, already had problems at the same position of my smartphone if I just turned the cell phone in my hand. The A30 also transmits using the aptX codec; if I remember correctly, not all the other amps do that.

- it outputs all frequencies on the stereo out (in contrast to the D03, for example, which filters out the low frequencies here)

- the test interplay with the Elac Sub 3010 worked wonderfully; if you want to use a sub, you have no problems with the Loxjie A30 - provided that the sub can set its separation or crossover frequency itself, as the LFE on the A30 (as with all other three amplifiers); On the A30, there is a fixed filter on the LFE, which removes the high frequencies without further ado Setting option.

To 3.) SMSL A300

- as described above, it didn't play as loud as it should have played; it should actually be twice as loud as the rest, but it was even quieter.

- Here too, the display font was much too small and could only be read at a distance of 1 m.

To 4.) SMSL AO100

- the A30 played a bit louder than the AO100, as I said.

- The font on the display was once again much too small (max. 1m distance readable).

- The resolution of the AO100 was significantly worse than that of the Loxjie and with the switchable, integrated surround modes, this could be improved somewhat artificially, but it also sounds correspondingly artificial; that wasn't for me. I can't say 100% whether the D03 and also the A300 had significantly worse resolution, as the D03 got out of comparison early because of its high-pass filter and the A300 because of its much too weak performance.

CONCLUSION:

The Loxjie A30 is miles ahead of the other three amplifiers and none of the three is a suitable alternative. With all four amplifiers, it is important to get banana plugs for the speaker cables, as the connections are very small and close together. There is also no counter screw connection, which will certainly make the screws loose again and again over time. That would be too annoying for me and the risk of a short circuit would be too high. Here I can absolutely recommend the Nakamichi plugs, which I bought after the bad Goaycer plugs. The Nakamichi protection sleeves also do not conduct electricity, which the Goaycers did, for example (that is negligent!).
Report abuse
Translated from German by Amazon

...I don't know if this guy is delusional or observant...I suppose he could be both...

...FWIW I am not even considering the headphone amp as a feature...

Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
The A30 plays louder up to volume 35/60 than the SMSL A300
This data does not show anything, because the ratio of the relative gain of the amplifier is different for different amplifiers and cannot be directly compared.

Reactions: MCH

grogi.giant

...this German guy didn't think the SMSL A300 was as powerful as it claims to be...

1. Aiyima D03
2. Loxjie A30
3. SMSL A300
4. SMSL AO100

To 1.) Aiyima D03

- a permanent high-pass filter is active. There are no settings for this and also no on/off switch. As a test, I had an Elac Sub 3010 connected to the D03 and wanted to set the crossover frequency on the sub and noticed that my Wharfedale 11.1 (which goes down to 55 Hz), which was tested at the same time, was not really affected by the Elac (overlays). When comparing the Loxjie A30 and Aiyima D03, I was also able to clearly hear that the same speakers on the D03 no longer went down far enough in the bass range. Someone also shared this experience on the AudioScienceReview forum. This high-pass is a no-go because it is constantly active and also not adjustable. The D03 could then possibly work well in combination with a sub, but without a sub on the LFE, the frequencies at the bottom are missing.

- The display can neither be dimmed nor switched off; I found it annoying because the D03 was right under my TV and therefore in a straight line of sight of me.

- The font size is much too small; everything is still visible from a maximum of 1 m; nothing is legible anymore from my couch, where I am sitting at a distance of 3 meters.

- The D03 plays a bit louder than the Loxjie A30; obviously it had a bit more watts (the manufacturer's specifications are incorrect for all amplifiers); for me that was irrelevant, as I don't go over 25/60 with the Loxjie A30 anyway (volume current/max; for music) and usually set it to 11/60 (when I play movies and series with DRC or night mode activated).

- By the way, the most powerful power supply available was included here (36 watts 6 amps)

to 2.) Loxjie A30

- it has the best resolution of all four amps; you can hear more in all frequency ranges; the stage is wider than the other three; the bass is more intense, etc.

- the display can display in different colors; it can be switched off automatically and also completely deactivated; that's great when the amplifier is right under the TV, like mine. And the font size, at least the one for the volume, is large enough to to be able to recognize them easily even at a distance of 3 meters.

- The A30 plays louder up to volume 35/60 than the SMSL A300 (which should actually have twice as many watts) and also as the SMSL AO100. I tested this with Wharfedale 12.2 speakers (I had various speakers to test at home). “Younger” of the A300 (ASR Forum) and also the manufacturer themselves nevertheless claim that the A300 is twice as powerful as the other amps and that is due to the gain curve, which I think is mumbo jumbo, because it makes no sense to play quieter than half your performance up to 35/60 and then suddenly get crazy loud in the last 25 settings. So the A30 probably has more power than the A300 and AO100.

- The Bluetooth connection is absolutely stable; on the other hand, the AO100, for example, already had problems at the same position of my smartphone if I just turned the cell phone in my hand. The A30 also transmits using the aptX codec; if I remember correctly, not all the other amps do that.

- it outputs all frequencies on the stereo out (in contrast to the D03, for example, which filters out the low frequencies here)

- the test interplay with the Elac Sub 3010 worked wonderfully; if you want to use a sub, you have no problems with the Loxjie A30 - provided that the sub can set its separation or crossover frequency itself, as the LFE on the A30 (as with all other three amplifiers); On the A30, there is a fixed filter on the LFE, which removes the high frequencies without further ado Setting option.

To 3.) SMSL A300

- as described above, it didn't play as loud as it should have played; it should actually be twice as loud as the rest, but it was even quieter.

- Here too, the display font was much too small and could only be read at a distance of 1 m.

To 4.) SMSL AO100

- The font on the display was once again much too small (max. 1m distance readable).

- The resolution of the AO100 was significantly worse than that of the Loxjie and with the switchable, integrated surround modes, this could be improved somewhat artificially, but it also sounds correspondingly artificial; that wasn't for me. I can't say 100% whether the D03 and also the A300 had significantly worse resolution, as the D03 got out of comparison early because of its high-pass filter and the A300 because of its much too weak performance.

CONCLUSION:

The Loxjie A30 is miles ahead of the other three amplifiers and none of the three is a suitable alternative. With all four amplifiers, it is important to get banana plugs for the speaker cables, as the connections are very small and close together. There is also no counter screw connection, which will certainly make the screws loose again and again over time. That would be too annoying for me and the risk of a short circuit would be too high. Here I can absolutely recommend the Nakamichi plugs, which I bought after the bad Goaycer plugs. The Nakamichi protection sleeves also do not conduct electricity, which the Goaycers did, for example (that is negligent!).
Report abuse

...I don't know if this guy is delusional or observant...I suppose he could be both...

Are you sure you are talking about SMSL A300? It has massive (blue and ugly) segment display - I find it hard to believe it was too small to read.

ClassicGuy

1. Aiyima D03
2. Loxjie A30
3. SMSL A300
4. SMSL AO100

To 1.) Aiyima D03

to 2.) Loxjie A30

To 3.) SMSL A300

To 4.) SMSL AO100

CONCLUSION:

Report abuse

I would ignore this review, he obviously does not know what he is talking about.

Hapo

...thanks...I understand that has no bearing per se on the overall value of the Loxgie A 30....

...methinks I like the SMSL A 300 better for what I need but do not really know...

...I want to connect a small computer that has aux out and an old tv...

...don't know if I need a DAC or an optical input...

...I know I don't want a poor headphone amp...

ClassicGuy

...thanks...I understand that has no bearing per se on the overall value of the Loxgie A 30....

...methinks I like the SMSL A 300 better for what I need but do not really know...

...I want to connect a small computer that has aux out and an old tv...

...don't know if I need a DAC or an optical input...

...I know I don't want a poor headphone amp...
Not sure if there is a device that would satisfy all your requirements, and still be of good price.

Loxjie A30 has all the connections you want, but the headphone amp is poor.

Very few amps that have good headphone connections, digital inputs, and sound good.

Hapo

...I do not care aboot the headphone amp except to wish it was not onboard...

...I do not know that I want all those connections...

...the computer has a simple DAC and the tv has rca output...

Top Bottom