• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

Malis

When I disassembled mine I did not see any Serial numbers on the case or mainboard.

PeterMac

Thank you, I watched your dissembly few moments ago :), I saw only Ver 1.2 and some number there but it's too short to be serial.
But maybe there is some combination on remote to show on screen S/N but who knows. I'm asking because I have to replace cardboard because I order from amazon with squashed box.

BTW. does it support DSD playback ?
Also what I noticed, when Bluetooth connection always set 48kHz, even when I force in phone to be 44.1.

bjd1

Not sure if this was mentioned already here - I confess I didn’t plow through all 28 pages of comments. The reviewer mentioned the prominent display of the active input, rather than of the volume level. Just wanted to say, when you turn the volume knob, or hit the volume buttons on the remote, the display does briefly change to show the volume level in large numbers. Works for me.

I’ve got my eBay 80s Technics turntable hooked to this thing, via the inexpensive Rolls VP29 phono preamp, into the RCA. Raspberry Pi for Roon into the USB. Driving Kef Q150 speakers - grabbed during their recent sale. A great little system in my small office, for not much money. Thanks for the recommendation of this nice little amp!

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Driving Kef Q150 speakers
So, are you using them in nearfield? If so, how do you like them in that setup? Do you have a subwoofer as well?

Thinking of picking up these KEFs next time they go on sale for my desktop setup.

PeterMac

@Malis - can you please test temperatures inside it during longer session on playing on PCB and elements ?

bjd1

So, are you using them in nearfield? If so, how do you like them in that setup? Do you have a subwoofer as well?

Thinking of picking up these KEFs next time they go on sale for my desktop setup.

They’re in a nearfield-type situation, but not on my desk. I’ve got a low upholstered chair, and the speakers are on low stands on the floor about 4 feet away. Speakers are about 18” from the wall behind them. I haven’t tried the foam plugs Kef provides. No subwoofer - trying to avoid clutter in this small room and bass is fine for my lo—med volume mostly-jazz listening. i use headphones for the desk.

bjd1

@Malis - can you please test temperatures inside it during longer session on playing on PCB and elements ?

i use the amp for an hour or 2 most days, usually at 20-30 on the vol knob. (Occasionally up to 50, like when I put on my old, scratched Saturday Night Fever LP during a Friday afternoon happy-hour-at-home situation :) The case has never gotten the slightest bit warm.

Malis

I have used it with 4 ohm, 6 ohm and 8 ohm speakers for several hours and the case from the outside has not been over 32 degrees Celsius (room temperature 23 degrees Celsius). I have loaned my amp to my local audiophiles who usually spend several thousands for amps so they can compare the audio quality. When I will get it back I can create a video of temperature measurements on case, on motherboard and the chip on board after several time spans and different loads.

Last edited:

PeterMac

@Malis - great, can't wait for this video.

PeterMac

Identifies as: Headphones (TX-384Khz Hifi Type-C Audio)

Question

I have Xonar STX II soundcard in my PC, how do you think is it worth to connect it via RCA to Loxije instead of USB connection ?
If I connect it via 2x RCA good quality cable to Loxije then it will be used DAC in Xonar II ? it use Texas Instruments PC1792 DAC.
What DAC is used in Loxjie ?

Last edited:

bjd1

The A30 page on loxjie-audio.com shows it has an ES9023 DAC. Not sure how that compares to your device's TI PC1792. The RCAs are an analog connection, so in the scenario you describe you'd definitely be using the DAC in your Xonar II. Bypassing the A30's internal DAC.

Not to get too into the weeds here, but Loxjie has set this thing up so one of the RCA jacks does double duty as a "Coaxial" connection. That *is* a digital connection, so in that case you would be using the A30's internal DAC. That's the one feature of this amp I don't like - you can't use the RCAs and the Coax connection at the same time. They could have squeezed in one more connector on the back for an independent Coax jack.

PeterMac

thank you bjd1 for cleaer answer.

I'm asking because when I want to play some SACD's from foobar WASAPI mode (DSD convertion to PCM @88.2kHz, 176Hz, 356Hz) there is unsupported by Loxjie DAC, only 44.1 works.

hamsta

Hello guys. I'm thinking of buying A30 and a pair of speakers. Can you answer if Loxjie A30 could run 8 ohms speakers or not? Or should I better look from 4-6 ohms speakers?

PeterMac

Yes, it can run 4-8ohm speakers without problem, I run KEF Q100 which are 8 ohms and runs perfect. They sound just a little bit quiter than my ELAc DBR-62 which are rated as 6 ohms.

Last edited:

audio86

I ordered focal aria 906 with loxjie a30. did I do wrong? will loxjie's power be enough for focals? omg

Last edited:

PeterMac

No problems, they are standard 86dB - 6ohms, Loxjie have enough power to play them loud.

Last edited:

PeterMac

No. Through the USB input PCM 88.2kHz, 176.4kHz, 352.8kHz and DSD are not supported according to Audirvana on my macbook pro. Even setting "DSD over PCM" gives no sound during playback.

View attachment 96750
Same problem, maybe it's some solution right now ?

Toku

Major Contributor
Same problem, maybe it's some solution right now ?
The Loxjie A30 is based on the SMSL SA300. Therefore, the corresponding sampling rate for digital input has the same specifications. This is a design specification, so it is not a defective product.

Top Bottom