• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

Malis

On Tuesday I finally got my Loxjie A30. I ordered it back in February, only four month delay... but it was worth it. I am amazed how powerful and clean sounding is this little aluminium box. Just wow, and the headphone amp is much more powerful then I expected. It can power my Hifiman 4XX very well.

By the way, I plan on making a teardown video and put it on my friends YouTube channel, is anyone interested in that?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
On Tuesday I finally got my Loxjie A30. I ordered it back in February, only four month delay... but it was worth it. I am amazed how powerful and clean sounding is this little aluminium box. Just wow, and the headphone amp is much more powerful then I expected. It can power my Hifiman 4XX very well.

By the way, I plan on making a teardown video and put it on my friends YouTube channel, is anyone interested in that?
I would like to see a teardown.

Malis

Here is a quick unboxing video, there you can see how it looks in real life and what you get in the box.

Big thanks to @amirm, for making this review on ASR, it led me to buying this little amp and it sounds way better than I thought. I was still sceptical while ordering it, but now I am on board of the fanboy train for this amplifier.

The teardown video should come real soon, some time next week.

kniff

After almost six months of waiting i was finally able to snag one from Hifi-Express. Arrived yesterday without any customs charges since package was re-labeled in Luxembourg (unexpected but appreciated)

How much better is it than my previous desk amp, the Sabaj A4?

Truthfully, i don't know. It does at least not sound worse, and looks a lot nicer. For the price i think it's a winner, i don't see a reason to get anything else for a desk setup unless you like separates. It is powering a pair of XTZ Spirit 4s.

20210618_163409.jpg

ctakim

Forum Donor
I agree that it is a fantastic desktop amplifier! The headphone amp part may not be as great as some separates, but I certainly have no issues with the headphone use and most of my listening is on bookshelf speakers driven by this little amp with my computer and Roon as the main music source.

J_Paulo

The A30's speaker output omits a filter that prevents the emission of high frequency noise.
As a result, it radiates strong electromagnetic noise into the surrounding space and interferes with nearby electronic devices.

I was thinking about buying this amp, but this high frequency noise as put me off a little bit... at the moment I have a Sabaj A3 with no issues at all.

Will this issue (eventually) damage the speakers connected to the amp ? or will just add some noise to nearby devices ?

Toku

Major Contributor
I was thinking about buying this amp, but this high frequency noise as put me off a little bit... at the moment I have a Sabaj A3 with no issues at all.

Will this issue (eventually) damage the speakers connected to the amp ? or will just add some noise to nearby devices ?
The high frequency noise radiated from the A30 is not as powerful as you might imagine. If you use AM / FM radio near the speaker cable of the amplifier, it may not be received well due to noise.
It also damages equipment that handles weak radio waves.

kniff

In two weeks of ownership i've had an issue occur 3 times which is annoying (and maybe dangerous for my speakers..) making me re-evaluate purchasing the A30.

Coming back to my PC after not using it for an hour or so and resuming music playback via Spotifty (A30 left on) it's as if the A30 ignores it's preset volume (40) and blasts everything at maximum volume. The PC is a desktop comptuer where sleep is disabled, so there is no funny business in that regard.

I have Windows volume set to 90% and Spotify to 20% (i prefer to adjust volume per application) or by the amplifier.

It scares the shit out of me, it's like an audio explosion. It is connected to my PC via a normal USB-cable. I have never had this type of issue through maybe 4 or 5 other desktop amps like the Sabaj A4, Schiit DAC / Emotiva basx A-100 and the same computer has been used with at least two others.

Anyone else where this has happened? Like i said, it's like the A30 goes havoc and goes full blast until you restart it.

EDIT: I will try BT and Optical and see if the issue persists.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Strange. Not sure as I am using the analog inputs. Nine has never changed the volume setting on its own or without manual adjustment by me.

kniff

Strange. Not sure as I am using the analog inputs. Nine has never changed the volume setting on its own or without manual adjustment by me.

The display does not show any change in volume, but the feeling is that it blasts at full volume / extremely high volume.. or something else happens that makes me percieve it as being this way. Maybe som kind of USB-hiccup? I'm not sure.

I will try changing the cable, just in case.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The display does not show any change in volume, but the feeling is that it blasts at full volume / extremely high volume.. or something else happens that makes me percieve it as being this way. Maybe som kind of USB-hiccup? I'm not sure.

I will try changing the cable, just in case.
I've had that happen switching sources, but I know it was the source volume setting differential that caused it. With the Loxjie set at 40dB, it will definitely startle me and hurt my ears if the source volume is up with my speakers. That's not the Loxjie's fault though. I just need to be mindful of the source volume settings or turn down the amp before switching sources.

Sounds like you might have a different problem though, on the digital side. If you have the volume set to 40 and it's not super loud, i would guess the source volume is a lot (15-20dB?) lower.

ctakim

Forum Donor
In two weeks of ownership i've had an issue occur 3 times which is annoying (and maybe dangerous for my speakers..) making me re-evaluate purchasing the A30.

Coming back to my PC after not using it for an hour or so and resuming music playback via Spotifty (A30 left on) it's as if the A30 ignores it's preset volume (40) and blasts everything at maximum volume. The PC is a desktop comptuer where sleep is disabled, so there is no funny business in that regard.

I have Windows volume set to 90% and Spotify to 20% (i prefer to adjust volume per application) or by the amplifier.

It scares the shit out of me, it's like an audio explosion. It is connected to my PC via a normal USB-cable. I have never had this type of issue through maybe 4 or 5 other desktop amps like the Sabaj A4, Schiit DAC / Emotiva basx A-100 and the same computer has been used with at least two others.

Anyone else where this has happened? Like i said, it's like the A30 goes havoc and goes full blast until you restart it.

EDIT: I will try BT and Optical and see if the issue persists.
I have a similar set up but I don't have any issue similar to what you describe. But I have a MacMini music source connected via USB to the A30. I am using the Mac as a Roon endpoint but the volume setting from the computer is at 100% and I use the A30 to control the volume. No unexpected shifts in the overall volume.

kniff

I've had that happen switching sources, but I know it was the source volume setting differential that caused it. With the Loxjie set at 40dB, it will definitely startle me and hurt my ears if the source volume is up with my speakers. That's not the Loxjie's fault though. I just need to be mindful of the source volume settings or turn down the amp before switching sources.

Sounds like you might have a different problem though, on the digital side. If you have the volume set to 40 and it's not super loud, i would guess the source volume is a lot (15-20dB?) lower.

I've never changed the source, and you can't really do it by accident since you have to dig in the menu by pressing the knob. As i mentioned, the amp was never turned off. It had just been idling, and when i got back and resumed spotify playback the issue occurred.

Yes, if you have the Loxjie set to 40 and your PC output at 100% it is very loud, but as i also mentioned, i lock Windows output to 90, and every audio application is around 20% or so which is normal (might even be considered low) listening levels.

Either way i'm going to change the way i set things up, i was recommended to have the output volume fairly high from the PC some years back and control the rest by application, but maybe it's better to set both windows and apps to 90-100% and control volume by amp only, to avoid hearing loss if the issue happens again..

I'm beginning to think it might've been an USB issue, i paused instantly when the issue occurred but i do believe the audio was garbled like it wasn't just loud it was actually like a weird sound. When i searched through this topic i don't seem to be the only one having issues over USB. Maybe i'll get a Toslink switch and go the optical route since i have that in my PC.

I have a similar set up but I don't have any issue similar to what you describe. But I have a MacMini music source connected via USB to the A30. I am using the Mac as a Roon endpoint but the volume setting from the computer is at 100% and I use the A30 to control the volume. No unexpected shifts in the overall volume.

Yeah, i mean doing that is one way to dampen the fall if the issue reoccurs, but it still bugs me.. I mentioned above but it doesn't just seem to be loud now when i recall, it's like a static/buzz to it. I'm going to stick with BT for now and optical down the road probably.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I received mine today. Set-up with DAP source (Hidizs AP80 analog out at 98) and well kept ProAc Response 2. It seems well worth the price. Compared to the SMSL A300, it seems to offer a more authoritative mid-bass and more soundstage details. There must be something different in the design of the two amplifiers.

Last edited:

mikolaj

Forum Donor
I've recently replaced Yamaha A-S501 with loxjie a30 for driving Focal Aria 906 in an office setup.
Half of the volume is probably max level I'll be ever using. I don't think it sounds any worse, maybe even better?
Only A/B will show any difference in details so I'm going to make one.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just received my A30, for TV use with vintage JBL L25 Primas.
Compared to the Crown D75A I had been using with them, hard to tell any difference, but having tone controls and curves is helpful, esp when flipping between PBS and commercial station's audio.
Tiny in comparison, of course.
For ~50 yr old speakers (new woofs a few years ago), they sound darned amazing.
Will try measuring at some point...but not in any hurry they just sound So Good.
Huh.

mikolaj

Forum Donor
So I did the A/B test
  • Yamaha A-S501 VS Loxjie A30
  • Focal Aria 906

A/B test setup
  • Sound Blaster X3 with optical, passive multiplexer connected to Yamaha A-S501 and Loxjie A30
  • Direct input on in Yamaha
  • Direct input on in Loxjie
  • Left speaker connected to Loxjie A30 to left channel output
  • Right speaker connected to Yamaha A-S501 to left channel output
  • Equalizer APO configured to switch muted channel instantly
    1625508068701.png

• Left channel was played on both speakers, but only one playing at the time
  • Volume set in both amplifiers to have the same loudness in both speakers

Results
  • My girlfriend could tell no difference
  • For me they sounded a bit different. However no idea which one was better and I don't know if I could could pass the blind test

Loxjie is just perfect for my desktop setup, I had to keep Yamaha vertically under my desk as it's a big beast

edit: I played some tracks right after posting here. I'm sure I wouldn't pass the blind test to say if they sound different

Ismapics

Yessss I just got mine delivered from China, HiFi-Express. Delighted so far, Paired with an M1 Mac mini, Micca RB-42 (I know) and a few years old Energy 8" sub. For a desktop system, working from home I do spend time here, maybe more than the main system. Replacing an SMSL Q5 Pro.IMG_7142.jpgIMG_7141.jpg

ClassicalPilot

Since reading this thread, I was looking for an opportunity to buy the A30. I thought I picked one up on Amazon on Prime Day (marked down to $165 from the normal $185 these days), but a porch pirate stole it. (I have notes on file with all the major shippers to put packages over my backyard fence for this reason.) The seller, Hifi-Express, told me to contact Amazon because it wasn't their problem; Amazon requested a replacement, and instead I received a refund of the sale price, with an offer that I could buy it again at the regular price.

Is the SMSL SA300 the best alternative?

Top Bottom