• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low Watt Speaker Recommendation Appreciated

sjenerik

I would love a recommendation if you are so inclined. I've been vinyl offline since my Bang and Olufsen turntable, which I purchased in 1982, went to meet the choir invisible a few months ago. Today my new U-Turn Audio: Orbit Special, with Ortofon 2M Blue stylus showed up. The sound is just stunningly phenomenal for such an inexpensive unit. I'm currently running it in my studio through powered Dynaudio Acoustics reference monitors. I am excited to hear how it melds with the Yaquin MC-13S Stereo Integrated Tube Amplifier I just purchased. The one piece I haven't determined yet are the speakers. Many that I see as potentials need more power than the Yaqin's Maximum Output: 40W per channel (8Ω). Any recommendations for speakers that work brilliantly with this amp? Cost needs to be under $1000 and closer to $500 or less if possible. Looks are a necessity as well as we are creating an audio-centric focused display in the living room. The listening space is roughly 12' x 14' x 9', so rather small. I'm looking for clarity of sound over volume (good thing as the amp isn't beefy). Max listening volume ay 6' is typically 80db, except for "those" times....

Amp Specs
Tubes: 6CA7T x 4 12AX7B x 2 12AU7 x 2
Maximum Output: 40W per channel (8Ω)
Output Jacks: Two channels with two groups gold plated jacks
Output Impedance: 4Ω and 8Ω
Input Sensitivity: 0.25V
Input Impedance: 20KΩ
Input Jacks: 4 Groups gold plated isolated RCA jacks (CD, DVD, Tape, and Tuner)
Distortion of Harmonic Wave: ≤0.9% (at 28W)
Frequency Response: 10Hz ~ 76KHz (-2dB)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >85dB (A weight)
Supply Voltage: AC 110V / AC 220V, 60/50Hz
Power Consumption: 220W
Net Weight: 18kg (40lb)
Shipping Weight: 23kg (47lb)
Shipping Dimension: 60 * 45 * 30 cm (24" x 17" x 12")

Daverz

Major Contributor
Most speakers should be fine, even not particularly efficient ones, as long as their impedance doesn't drop below 4 ohms.

Love the old B & O turntables.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I've heard the RP-600m . (Subjectively, no dbt) they have a good amount of detail. Pleasant sound. A little bit of chestiness in the low mids and not a whole lot of bass support. It's not a bad speaker. Its stregnth is that it knows what "not to do". So what it can't do, it smartly does not.
Personally I would take the Emotiva T zero (or t1) over it. I have heard the T2 which I thought provided better speed, soundstage, dynamics and bass. Their stregnth is that it provides that illusive "holographic soundstage" that people like.

As for your amp - as people have mentioned most speakers will work just fine with them. I have listened to a setup with 7 watt, 20 watt (Bob Latino) and 35 watt monoblock tube amps. Both had no issues in a very large living room and providing room filling sound with a variety of speakers including bookshelves and large tower speakers.

I'm glad you are enjoying your vinyl. I visited a record store and got myself some nice jazz and really enjoyed myself. My vinyl setup isn't all that great though.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
After extensive research, these are the ones I'm purchasing. Thanks for the recommendation.
Good choice, you won't be disappointed. If later more bass, and even better sound are desired from the Klipsch, add a good subwoofer or two.

OP
S

sjenerik

Have been burning in the system. I am not in any way a bass head, but damn these speakers have nothing on the bottom end. I didn't realize when in the reviews they said minimal bass, they meant "no bass" So indeed I shall be adding a sub. The clarity in the mids and up is quite lovely though. I do have a bit of a bias as my ears are dialed to my studio monitors that are 4x the price. So.... Regardless, it is nice to have a very different sounding system, once there is some low end.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Have been burning in the system. I am not in any way a bass head, but damn these speakers have nothing on the bottom end. I didn't realize when in the reviews they said minimal bass, they meant "no bass" So indeed I shall be adding a sub. The clarity in the mids and up is quite lovely though. I do have a bit of a bias as my ears are dialed to my studio monitors that are 4x the price. So.... Regardless, it is nice to have a very different sounding system, once there is some low end.
Understood. That's been a problem since the very beginning of the popularity of small stand mount speakers. No matter how you do the math, a 6.5" woofer can only do so much. Most reviewers will write glowing sentences on how builder X has "bent the universe" and designed a small speaker to deliver Bass of the Gods. Ain't gonna happen.
You didn't mention your setup, some placement options in your room might improve the situation.
But none will do what a good subwoofer or 2 can do. Save your lunch money. LOL

Last edited:

garbulky

Major Contributor
Yep. As I mentioned in my post when I heard it, it's a bookshelf which isn't a lot of bass support.

Note: Subjective impressions:
I've tried to also figure out how to deal with GREAT bookshelfs and speakers with lackluster bass response by integrating subwoofers. I have failed and no longer want to bother with that ess. Now bigger speakers with good bass response and integrated subwoofers have been a great experienceIf you want bass from a small footprint...

The Emotiva's T2's would solve your issue and there's a good chance you would not need a subwoofer with it...but they are not bookshelf speakers.

kevinh

There is Always a trade off between speaker efficiency and low freq response.
The laws of physics change for no one.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Absolutely true, but it's still a kick in the ass to buy "45Hz +/-3dB" to find no bass. Honest specs, please!
According to Stereophile measurements, it seems to measure just like what the spec sheet says.
chrome_bqKEbLZj0w.png

OP
S

sjenerik

Though I agree a 6.5 speaker can only push so much bass. My Dynaudios have a far superior bass response with the same size. And yes given the specs I really didn’t think the Klipsch would be so lacking. Placement with the RP-600Ms is more touchy than I’ve experienced before. But am having fun dialing in the difference of soundstage and bass.

An issue is that on a somewhat limited budget and locked in on the amp, there is only so much experimentation that I can afford to do. As mentioned here and in reviews elsewhere, subs can be problematic. Especially since most all are active and the amp doesn’t have a line level out. I do have a crappy home theater active sub that I’m thinking of using for a test. I think this will work to take the line out from the amp and convert it so I can use it with the active amp. Any thoughts on such? https://www.abt.com/product/123762/...MIlt6jmMCN4wIV3h-tBh30zA4KEAQYBCABEgK-jfD_BwE

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

garbulky

Major Contributor
Though I agree a 6.5 speaker can only push so much bass. My Dynaudios have a far superior bass response with the same size. And yes given the specs I really didn’t think the Klipsch would be so lacking. Placement with the RP-600Ms is more touchy than I’ve experienced before. But am having fun dialing in the difference of soundstage and bass.

An issue is that on a somewhat limited budget and locked in on the amp, there is only so much experimentation that I can afford to do. As mentioned here and in reviews elsewhere, subs can be problematic. Especially since most all are active and the amp doesn’t have a line level out. I do have a crappy home theater active sub that I’m thinking of using for a test. I think this will work to take the line out from the amp and convert it so I can use it with the active amp. Any thoughts on such? https://www.abt.com/product/123762/...MIlt6jmMCN4wIV3h-tBh30zA4KEAQYBCABEgK-jfD_BwE
I had the opportunity to try an LSA-1 signature speaker. My living room is a small one. But I was shocked when I tried the LSA-1 because it was described as having better bass etc. There was almost no bass to be found! I was pretty stunned considering that I had much better bass from an airmotiv 4 with 4 inch woofers!
Though the LSA-1 was 6.5 inches and what bass there was had low distortion this was something you just couldn't get by without a sub. It was a dissapointment as it had some really nice tweeters, very fast with tons of detail, some of the best I'd heard.
http://www.stereomojo.com/LSA ONE MONITOR SPEAKER REVIEW/LSAONEMONITORSPEAKERREVIEW.htm
LSA_1HEADER.jpg

BillG

Major Contributor
Have been burning in the system. I am not in any way a bass head, but damn these speakers have nothing on the bottom end. I didn't realize when in the reviews they said minimal bass, they meant "no bass"

You could try backing them up closer to a wall. It'll make a difference - how much I'm not sure as I'm not familiar with those speakers... :cool:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I had the opportunity to try an LSA-1 signature speaker. My living room is a small one. But I was shocked when I tried the LSA-1 because it was described as having better bass etc. There was almost no bass to be found! I was pretty stunned considering that I had much better bass from an airmotiv 4 with 4 inch woofers!
So with the review claiming excellent bass down to 37hz (ha ha ha) how do you explain your impressions?
Room, amp, expectations? Did you have the Emo's there at the same time to compare or were you running on memory?
Yes there will be variances in bass between these small standmounts depending on design, sealed or ported, port tuning, the driver specs, etc. But there's just no changing the laws of physics, you can only milk so much bass at X spl from a approx 1/3 cuft box and a 6" driver.

Top Bottom