• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low Volume Listening - Extreme Nearfield <$1,700?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today I had the opportunity to listen to a variety of studio monitors at Chuck Levin's in Wheaton, MD. Genelec, Neumann, Focal, Adam and others. At 55-60db all of them sounded the same to me. I believe I need to focus on getting loudness into my existing system. I'm also going to make more of an effort to integrate a sub.
Also consider a home trial and possibly other criteria such as hiss at idle. When sitting close to the speaker at your desk and no music is playing, is the speaker quiet eg does not hiss or hum. Ask yourself if that would be something you care or not care about.

As I care, I decided for Neumann KH80 vs the Genelec at the time. (Plus MA1 and KH750).
I can’t say anything about the other speakers but definitely try at least one of the cheaper category in your room at home. This it what counts. Listening at a dealer is futile for making a final decision.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
OP, I take it you haven't always been listening at 55-60 dB (which may be forced by external circumstances)? That would be the most likely explanation for why you seem to require loudness.

The LSX' would be further compounding the issue by being slightly shelved down in the bass.
KEF LSX Frequency Response Measurements Wireless Powered Speakers.png
I would want to address that via EQ if nothing else. In-room, it should even by a slight upward shelf. At these low levels, you can definitely afford it. Things can probably be flattened out to 50 Hz at least. 40 seems unrealistic, that would require a sub after all.

The LSX' built-in bass management options look pretty decent. You basically get a full crossover, output gain and phase 0/180° options. This should allow for pretty good sub integration... but please take some kind of measurements. They say that when going by ear, the pro will dial in 10 dB too much sub level and the amateur 20 dB too much...

Top Bottom