• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low residual noise class a- ab amplifier suggestions

Chrise36

Major Contributor
As i am in search for a class a or ab amplifier with low residual noise to bi amp my speakers i would like some suggestions for amps that have residual noise under 50μV. Integrateds receivers poweramps everything is welcome. I have only found specs and measurements for yamaha as301 to 801 until now. Any other suggestions?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
50 μV is -95 dB down from 2.83 V. That is below 0 dBSPL at 1 m for most speakers. Do you really need that low residual electrical noise?

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
50 μV is -95 dB down from 2.83 V. That is below 0 dBSPL at 1 m for most speakers. Do you really need that low residual electrical noise?
I want to match my ncores as far as noise goes else i would be downgrading

pma

Major Contributor

Remember you MUST count with output noise of the sound source, DAC or preamp. This will be multiplied by the gain of the power amplifier (your NCore) and there is no way how to avoid it, regardless power amplifier lowest noise. You need to know level diagram and noise of all the components in the audio chain, otherwise the considerations are pointless. In a real chain, it is the preamp or DAC that almost always determines the resulting noise.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
You're not downgrading the sound if you can't hear the noise. Would you consider it "downgrading" switching from an amplifier that goes to 100kHz to one that "only" goes to 30kHz?

I have only found specs and measurements for yamaha as301 to 801 until now. Any other suggestions?
You're more likely to find a S/N spec. You'd have to know the reference (signal) level and with some math (and maybe a spreadsheet) you could convert to volts.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
You're not downgrading the sound if you can't hear the noise. Would you consider it "downgrading" switching from an amplifier that goes to 100kHz to one that "only" goes to 30kHz?

You're more likely to find a S/N spec. You'd have to know the reference (signal) level and with some math (and maybe a spreadsheet) you could convert to volts.
The s/n is often misleading i started to give more attention to residual noise that gives an immediate impression about how noisy the amp should be besides it is not practical to find what you describe for every amp i would be interested.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Remember you MUST count with output noise of the sound source, DAC or preamp. This will be multiplied by the gain of the power amplifier (your NCore) and there is no way how to avoid it, regardless power amplifier lowest noise. You need to know level diagram and noise of all the components in the audio chain, otherwise the considerations are pointless. In a real chain, it is the preamp or DAC that almost always determines the resulting noise.
For the time the dac (D50S) is driving the amp that is a quiet dac. What do you think of the Yamaha AS 301? It has good specs although the older AS700 seems to be much better amp.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If these will be tweeter amps, maybe neurochrome is a good option:

groovybassist

Forum Donor
If you can DIY, Neurochrome is a great option. I run a Modulus-286 built by @tomchr as my DIY chops are nil.

Top Bottom