• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low-profile (<3RU) DD+ LFE to L/R downmixing processor?

tlag

Hi, I've been searching for a bit now, and the basic box I seek is seemingly unobtainium. Really hoping some of you more experienced HT folks will have some ideas. Have been content with stereo for movies, but would like to exercise the subs more.

Relevant requirements:
<6in height
Dolby Digital Plus decoding
TOSLINK or HDMI input
LFE downmixed into L/R mains (5.1->2.0, but .1 mixed into the 2, not discarded)

Would be nice, prioritized:
downmixed digital out, AES-EBU, S/PDIF or TOSLINK
balanced analog out (N/A if digital out available)
<$1000 (used is fine)
directly rack-mountable

Basically, a DD+ version of an old-school Lexicon, with SUB+FULL available for mains, or an Emotiva UMC-200 with Enhanced Bass, but better distortion. Amazingly, even the JBL SDP-5 rebadge of the Lexicon MC-8 disappeared the SUB+FULL option, never mind the MC-10. Denon/Marantz have LFE+Main, which is basically the opposite of what I want.

Something like a Crestron HD-XSP would be perfect, but haven't been able to verify that LFE can be mixed into mains. Dolby's own decoder boxes, of course, specifically disallow such. I think a number of modern pre/pros can do, but their heights are just ridiculous for my limited space.

I know the can of worms the +10dB LFE boost represents, but figure it's workable with gain adjustments and/or noise penalty.

Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom