• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low power DIY amp kit

tmortimer

I'm building a pair of the Passive Aggressive kit speakers from parts express for the office. I've been looking at all the usual class D chifi amp suspects to pair with a DAC (probably a Topping D10): Topping, SMSL, i.am.d, fx audio, etc. They all seem to be poor performers. Got me thinking about a Hypex or ICEpower kit but they all seem to be much more powerful than I need for the computer speaker application.

Can anyone recommend an amp module, or even better a kit, with quality/performance that stands up to closer inspection but doesn't require paying for the power?

Thanks
Tom

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably best not to get too carried away with this: I bought a moderately priced Topping amplifier based on a Texas Instruments class D amp chip, and for my modest desktop sound system, it's great: Very quiet with essentially no EMI. The ones I'd avoid would be the higher-powered Tripath TA2022-based amps as that chip is a real EMI beast.

Of the chip amps, Texas Instruments LM3886 maybe the best of it's type, but it's Class AB and you'll need a decent heatsink. Neurochrome offers some interesting DIY boards for this chip.

Last edited:

Bob-23

I'm building a pair of the Passive Aggressive kit speakers from parts express for the office. I've been looking at all the usual class D chifi amp suspects to pair with a DAC (probably a Topping D10): Topping, SMSL, i.am.d, fx audio, etc. They all seem to be poor performers. Got me thinking about a Hypex or ICEpower kit but they all seem to be much more powerful than I need for the computer speaker application.

Can anyone recommend an amp module, or even better a kit, with quality/performance that stands up to closer inspection but doesn't require paying for the power?

Thanks
Tom

There are lots of kits and modules around the famous LM3876/LM3886 or the LM1875 (Gainclone/Gaincard).
Here's a description of what they're capable of:
https://sound-au.com/
Projects>Project 19 and Project 72
You can get boards from Rod Elliott, too.
I'd get a kit with a muting circuit resp.muting relays (switch-on muting & dc-protection).

OP
T

tmortimer

Thanks for the advice and links. That Sound AU page is definitely max interesting.

@JeffS7444 which Topping amp did you find suitable for the desktop system?

Thanks
Tom

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Topping amp is a VX3, which probably isn't useful information since it's discontinued. It's just a basic amplifier with bluetooth and headphone output in addition to speaker output.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
3E's new integrated may be worth a look. It's a bit short on details as yet, but their earlier amp modules using the same chipset have a decent reputation. It's only been listed for a week or so, and in that time the page has gained more details.

OP
T

tmortimer

Thanks for all the links. Those 3e amps look interesting for sure. Nice price point too.

jimimonet

I build a LM 3886 amp from a web site called Circuit basics by Scott Cambell. He had circuit board layouts and a build tutorial. Did not do measurements but i think it sounds pretty good into my vintage JBL's.

Michou

Probably best not to get too carried away with this: I bought a moderately priced Topping amplifier based on a Texas Instruments class D amp chip, and for my modest desktop sound system, it's great: Very quiet with essentially no EMI. The ones I'd avoid would be the higher-powered Tripath TA2022-based amps as that chip is a real EMI beast.

Of the chip amps, Texas Instruments LM3886 maybe the best of it's type, but it's Class AB and you'll need a decent heatsink. Neurochrome offers some interesting DIY boards for this chip.
Cambridge Audio had some LM3886-based entry-level integrated amps, the Azur 340 and the AXA35, I believe and there's also the Akitika GT-102 which got good reviews, available in kit form or assembled. The IOTAVX SA3 is also a well-liked, fairly priced device with a built-in DAC. LM3386s do require a relatively easy load and good heatsinking.

raindance

Major Contributor
The LM3886 is a good chip to learn with. It's fairly forgiving, but you need a large enough heatsink and don't skimp on the heatsink compound. I fried a number of them in the past because of poor thermal coupling to the heatsink (I used 4 of them in pairs (bridged mode) to make high power amps for pubs). The reason for the heat issues is that you're trying to pull significant dissipation from a fairly small surface area.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The Neurochrome amps in #10 above use the LM3886 too. The lower end 'LM3886 Done Right' has a load of documentation about avoiding pitfalls while the higher end Modulus series are compound amps with impressive measurements shown both on that site and this one.

jimimonet

Thanks for info. Never measured mine but good to see measurements. It sounded good to me, but i have old ears.

levimax

Major Contributor
+1 I am using 4 Mod86 modules in a DIY tri-amp system. The specs speak for themselves and the boards and instructions and support from Tom are all top notch. These amps perform better than I can hear but for your purpose what is really good about these is the "THAT chip" based inputs which have very high CMRR. What that means is you can easily achieve dead quiet amps for your tweeters. It is not always that easy for DIY projects to end up dead quiet but it is with these.

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Top Bottom