• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low pass the highs or Low shelf the lows?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in a position where my response declines sharply right when the room get dominant (~500 Hz). Going off the FR curve, I need an LS filter with 5 dB to get closer to the Harman in-room target curve.

However the moment i boost the base, the modes get further excited, the dips remain dippy and the sound is farther away from neutrality than we began.

At the same time, I never heard of anyone EQing past 2 KHz. It's risky considering at these frequencies even a little bit of movement can significantly change the response.

I'm thinking of using the crossover tone knobs at the back of the speaker and see what they do; However, it's a vintage speaker and these knobs never sounded good when they were engaged.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is your loudspeaker anechoically relatively flat below 500 Hz? If yes I wouldn't recommend trying to bump it up to some predefined curve from another loudspeaker and room, a mistake I also did for a long time with very similar audible results like you write above. There are rooms and locations that absorb a lot of bass and bumping up the bass just make the sound muddy, I end up using anechoically flat loudspeakers (or EQing them to be so) and then only correcting a couple of excessive modal bumps up to approximately 200 Hz.

Top Bottom