• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low notes really do get people dancing.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And when clumsy DJs drop the bass, everybody goes nuts. Kids! :)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At my previous job we wanted to do a study like this to prove there was something inherently worthwhile to better portable speakers that could reproduce some bass. Turns out we were on to something?

However, the assertion that they would not be aware of VLF is a little surprising. The bass at concert events can be at an SPL that the feeling of vibration is quite noticeable, not subconscious at all...

OP
P

poxymoron

At my previous job we wanted to do a study like this to prove there was something inherently worthwhile to better portable speakers that could reproduce some bass. Turns out we were on to something?

However, the assertion that they would not be aware of VLF is a little surprising. The bass at concert events can be at an SPL that the feeling of vibration is quite noticeable, not subconscious at all...
Not just bass concerts. At Liam Gallagher during the summer my clothes were vibrating even when the SPL wasn't crazy loud. It actually really creates an atmosphere.

donbernhardo

These Guys figured it out a while ago:
Blurred Vision is a new project by Schlachthofbronx with the aim to make the audience experience the tracks they produce exactly as they intended, with a focus on hearing as well as physically feeling the music on a very special and bass-heavy soundsystem.
http://www.schlachthofbronx.com/blurred-vision/

I can only recommend to check them out if they are in your area. It is quite the experience <basshead out> :)

Andysu

Major Contributor
bass does get the dancing going

to-the-rhythm-saturday-night-fever.gif

tuga

Major Contributor
Pavlovian.

I wonder if they would get the same result from "normal" people...

AwesomeSauce2015

I can confirm that in my limited experience doing live sound, when the LF section of the sound system is cranked a bit -- and also capable --, that people do dance more.
However, many systems are not capable of cleanly cranking the bass that heavily. It really is something special when you can feel the bass. Not just rattling you feel in the floor / your clothes. Literally feeling the air movement from the pressure waves generated by the excessive amount of subwoofer.

I remember one situation - a while ago - where I had a very capable sound system and I basically turned the subs up +10-20 db over normal. You could literally sit in front of the subs and feel the air coming out of them. Everyone there was dancing and having an awesome time. I have done stuff in many other spaces, and do not remember any other event where the crowd was as engaged with the music as that night, despite similar SPL levels, crowd composition, and music selection.

So yeah, low bass does help people to dance. But I think it has more to do with our perception of the 25-59hz region than whatever is below it. If you don't have that 30-60hz region, the music doesn't sound as "full", and people won't be as engaged with it. I propose that the quoted study is probably flawed. The VLF speakers could have perceptible output above 30hz, and the VLF speakers could be turned on during sections of the music which are more conducive to dancing.
In my opinion, bass below 20-30hz is generally perceived as "pressure" / activates a fear response.

Overseas

Major Contributor
People dancing at parties and concerts?! Wow
I believe that is poor empirical research.
They will convince me if and when they bring the music to places where people are doing their thing and then most of them quit what they are doing and start dancing like crazy.

Top Bottom