• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low cost USB audio interface with remote control?

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to take some money out of my system.

I have an RME ADI-2 Pro FS R, which is excellent and does everything I want, but I can't help feeling it's a bit overkill for what I need - both in spec and function.

Is there a cheaper alternative out there with a remote control?

I realise audio interfaces are aimed at the pro audio world, so remotes aren't high priority, but has anyone else added one like RME?

Ideal functions for me would be:

• 2 channels analogue in
  • 2 channels analogue out
  • DAC/ADC with specs good enough to be transparent for normal home audio use
  • All balanced operation with XLR connections
  • USB interface allowing computer to see analogue input and route to analogue output
  • Volume knob
  • Remote control
The only other thing I can see that might work is the Minidsp Flex, which would do everything and add more DSP capability, which would be helpful.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

James

MCH

Major Contributor
In one box, I cannot think on anything else than the flex.
Now, if you only need two channels and you don't mind two boxes, the possibilities multiply (virtually any balanced interface + any balanced DAC) and even the flex could be considered an overkill, in my opinion.

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
In one box, I cannot think on anything else than the flex.
Now, if you only need two channels and you don't mind two boxes, the possibilities multiply (virtually any balanced interface + any balanced DAC) and even the flex could be considered an overkill, in my opinion.
Thanks Marcos. Two boxes might work well - this part of my system already is two boxes really.

My current setup is:

Turntable (with MC cartridge) > Mic Preamp > RME > Mac (with Audio Hijack and DSP plugins performing both RIAA and room correction) > RME > Active speakers

I wondered about replacing the mic pre with a USB audio interface with mic inputs like an RME Fireface UC (again probably overkill for signal from vinyl). The setup could then be:

Turntable > RME Fireface > Mac > Good cheapish DAC with remote e.g. Topping D30 Pro > Speakers

Would having the DAC and ADC in separate boxes - each connected to the Mac via a separate USB cable - cause problems e.g. clocking errors - and would I notice them?

Or are there other ways to skin this?

Thanks,

James

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
If it works why change?
Keith
I hear you Keith. The thing is, since I bought this setup we’ve had twins and bought a house that needs renovating. So my system now feels a bit of an overindulgence - especially since I’ve learned from this site that you don’t need to spend a fortune on things like converters and preamps to achieve audibly transparent reproduction.

Top Bottom