• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low Cost Music Server or Streamer With EQ

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I struggled last night getting .wav files added to the Raspberry software. But after two bent micro SD cards I finally have my REW generated room EQ implemented via convolution implementation. However, in the process I've lost my gui interface. Volumio is fully functional, but my touchscreen shows a login prompt. Do I really need to login? I'm bring home a wired keyboard from work today to see if that prompts the gui interface. I didn't have this issue before. After the login prompt, the touchscreen went straight to the gui interface. Is there something wrong? If so, how do I fix it?

Madeintooting

Volumio is fully functional, but my touchscreen shows a login prompt.
You need to add the touchscreen plugin from volumio

OP
wacomme

wacomme

You need to add the touchscreen plugin from volumio

Will the install directions work on a Mac? I presume I'd use Terminal.

ezublab

Just install it from the store :
1670437282759.png

OP
wacomme

wacomme

In that case, I did install it from the store. I also uninstalled and reinstalled with the same effect.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I believe I have, but I'll check again.

ezublab

Installing the plugin may take a long time and or fails to download all dependencies. If you struggle, go to volumio forum and ask in the related thread. A user called Gvolt may really help you, even with exotic screen.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Installing the plugin may take a long time and or fails to download all dependencies. If you struggle, go to volumio forum and ask in the related thread. A user called Gvolt may really help you, even with exotic screen.
Since I've seemingly exhausted all normal and typical reasons why my gui screen isn't working, I'll check out the volumio forum.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I finally got the display working with Volumio. I'm using DSP with DSPFusion. The sound is good.

I now need to see if I can get monitor volume control with the Volumio app rather than the DAC remote. I hope that's possible.

The Volumio app is ok, but I like the Wiim app better. Also, my wife prefers to to use Alexa instead of a phone app to select music. Is there a way to use the Wiim mini as the streamer and the Raspberry Pi (and display) for just DSP and display functionality? If so, how? I have to use the optical cable to the dac (SMSL DO100) for the Wiim, and I only have USB on the Pi.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Here's my situation (problem) with RPi.

I had RPi working with Volumio in the Raspberry 7" display and had it running for two weeks. It then would boot intermittently, and then it died. I took the RPi out of it's display case, flashed several new good quality microSD cards with Volumio and Moode, but neither would boot. I'd get a solid red light (power), and 8 green light flashes and then nothing. With a little research it appears that 8 green light flashes indicate bad SDRAM. So it seems my RPi is faulty. I've tried to communicate with the EBay seller that the RPi he sold me isn't working, but I've heard no reply. Thus, I'm assuming I just have a bad RPi and nothing can be done about it. I'm contemplating buying another RPi, but at $100 I'm hesitating.

Does my rationale for what happened seem reasonable? Does it appear that my RPi is dead with bad SDRAM? Can it be repaired? Or, should I buy another RPi? With limited supply, it seems that EBay is my best bet for another RPi. Is that correct, or is there a better source for RPi's?

Tangband

Major Contributor
I want to set up a music server or streamer in my living room. Upstairs in my home office I use a Macbook Air M1 streaming both Apple Music and Tidal. I use HLConvolver for my EQ to Kali LP-6 v2 monitors. Downstairs I have Adam T5V monitors in my living room connected to a Topping E30ii dac and optical to a Wiim Mini streamer. The problem with the living room setup is the difficulty in providing easy accessibility to EQ. Wiim's EQ is too basic. I've tried using Audirvana and I can set up EQ for the living room monitors. However, doing so interferes with my listening to my home office monitors. Also, if I'm downstairs and want to listen to music, I need to go upstairs to change the Audirvana EQ settings to the downstairs monitors. It's cumbersome. I'm thinking of different options. I don't have downloaded music (ok, I have some). But most of my music is streamed via either Apple Music or Tidal. Possible options:

1) Wiim Pro and Roon - not out yet and expensive subscription.

2) Raspberry Pi - I cannot find one for sale.

3) Mac Mini as server. The M1 Mini is too expensive. I hear the Intel Minis have fans - not sure if this is a problem or not. If I buy a used Intel Mini on eBay, which model - how much ram, what OS is needed, etc? Where can I find setup instructions to use the Mini as a headless streamer? Would I still need the Wiim Mini? The good news is that I'm familiar with the Mac environment.

I have REW calibration and subsequent EQ settings for my living room monitors (Adam T5V) that I'd like to use. I like the streaming capabilities of the Wiim Mini, but I'm lacking the EQ (at least not easily implemented). What is my best solution? I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you.
Apple musics eq for Mac is only 10 band but it dont make the sound worse = useful. Roon eq is more advanced and also transparent .

According to many people you cant hear high Q resonanses so maybe a 1/3 oct eq is good enough in many cases ?

Last edited:

lewisrassel

I want to set up a music server or streamer in my living room. Upstairs in my home office I use a Macbook Air M1 streaming both Apple Music and Tidal. I use HLConvolver for my EQ to Kali LP-6 v2 monitors. Downstairs I have Adam T5V monitors in my living room connected to a Topping E30ii dac and optical to a Wiim Mini streamer. The problem with the living room setup is the difficulty in providing easy accessibility to EQ. Wiim's EQ is too basic. I've tried using Speed Test Audirvana and I can set up EQ for the living room monitors. However, doing so interferes with my listening to my home office monitors. Also, if I'm downstairs and want to listen to music, I need to go upstairs to change the Audirvana EQ settings to the downstairs monitors. It's cumbersome. I'm thinking of different options. I don't have downloaded music (ok, I have some). But most of my music is streamed via either Apple Music or Tidal. Possible options:

1) Wiim Pro and Roon - not out yet and expensive subscription.

2) Raspberry Pi - I cannot find one for sale.

3) Mac Mini as server. The M1 Mini is too expensive. I hear the Intel Minis have fans - not sure if this is a problem or not. If I buy a used Intel Mini on eBay, which model - how much ram, what OS is needed, etc? Where can I find setup instructions to use the Mini as a headless streamer? Would I still need the Wiim Mini? The good news is that I'm familiar with the Mac environment.

I have REW calibration and subsequent EQ settings for my living room monitors (Adam T5V) that I'd like to use. I like the streaming capabilities of the Wiim Mini, but I'm lacking the EQ (at least not easily implemented). What is my best solution? I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you.
I use mine with High Sierra so maybe the Apple equalizer is not available after later versions and Apple Music

Last edited:

yllanos

I have a playing plugin with Volumio. My problem is that I don’t want to pay to stream music. Is there better operating software that allows one to stream music without a subscription to the raspberry software?

Honestly I'd just use Plex server to index music and Plexamp app from smartphone to stream. But yeah, integrating with DSP could be a challenge

Top Bottom