• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low Cost Music Server or Streamer With EQ

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I'd wait for the Raspberry Pi to become available, then add it between Wiim and E30II.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lladsp-set-up-instructions-for-newbies.30830/

Your can track Pi availability here:
Since I have the Wiim Mini, should I replace the Mini with the Raspberry, or should I put the Raspberry between the Wiim and the dac and use the Raspberry for EQ and displaying playing music only? In other words, is there any advantage to using the Wiim as the actual streamer . . . or is that a waste?

DTTOM37

Since I have the Wiim Mini, should I replace the Mini with the Raspberry, or should I put the Raspberry between the Wiim and the dac and use the Raspberry for EQ and displaying playing music only? In other words, is there any advantage to using the Wiim as the actual streamer . . . or is that a waste?
I would think of the RPI as replacement (if it fits your Streaming needs with the available plugins) as you may want to use it especially for the DSP capabilities (CamillaDSP), the Ethernet network connectivity, the storage playback and the USB connection to your DAC.
Using the WIIM upstream would then only add to length of the signal path, which imho is unnecessary if you haven't specific needs for the WIIM functionality.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Alexa may be the reason to use the Wiim. It’s not my interface choice, but for my wife it’s preferred to using any phone or iPad app.

Though, with a 7” touchscreen display, the need for Alexa may change. Can you choose music with a Raspberry touchscreen display, or does the display only display what’s being played?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
You might want to wait to see what sort of parametric eq is added to the Wiim pro. It might be worth the upgrade.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

You might want to wait to see what sort of parametric eq is added to the Wiim pro. It might be worth the upgrad
Perhaps, but doubtful. I’ve already ordered them Raspberry and a 7” touchscreen.

I also need something at work. Work controls my pc and Internet. Though, for some reason I can stream Tidal. My primary streaming service is Apple Music. I have a dac and headphone amp at work, but I get error messages when I connect the dac to my work pc. I have minimal control over my work pc. Thus, I’d like to bypass the work pc, and use my iPhone as the streaming service via a G5 network; I have a good wireless connection on my iPhone. Though, I could use my work’s Wi-Fi too. I don’t want to physically connect anything to my iPhone, just use the phone to select and play music among other users. I tried to make a streaming connection with the Wiim Mini, both to my phone’s Wi-Fi hotspot, but also to my works Wi-Fi, but I couldn’t get it to work. I need accessory permission to join the work Wi-Fi, and I don’t think that’s possible with the Wiim’s setup.

With a Raspberry I should be able to access my work’s Wi-Fi, I hope, and then push music to the Raspberry from my iPhone, bypassing my work PC altogether.

DTTOM37

With a Raspberry I should be able to access my work’s Wi-Fi, I hope, and then push music to the Raspberry from my iPhone, bypassing my work PC altogether.
You bet on Ethernet ? And have the IPhone connected to your work Wi-Fi network? Then USB to DAC/AMP or Actives?

Why don't you use a dongle DAC for the iPhone to whatever output you are using? If it is about content, you could have that on a USB key locally connected to the RPI. And depending on th flavor of your RPI distro you may find a tidal plug in, which eliminates you IPhone from the equation/signal path (still there as a control point, though)

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I put together the Raspberry Pi 4B with the Raspberry touchscreen. I flashed Volumio to a microSD drive. It booted up just fine. But that's where my problems begin. I cannot setup the device. I somehow managed to name it (Living Room) from my mac via wifi as the screen now reads living-room.local. However, I can no longer access it via a web browser. I couldn't register - received an error, nor could I seem to connect to my home wifi - not sure why?

I'm now at a loss for how to proceed.

I can connect via ethernet, but I don't have a USB keyboard (need to borrow one from work tomorrow) along with a usb mouse.

It's now asking for my living-room login. I have no idea.

Also, does it matter which of the four USB ports I use? Two are blue, and two are black.

Any help would be appreciated.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

With Ethernet I got it working. Only now, for streaming music, Volumio requires a a subscription. Granted, I can stream Apple Music and perhaps drop Tidal, but it’s a subscription.

Maybe I need to find software that isn’t subscription based. Is there anything that provides streaming services - prefer Apple - and that can display what’s current playing on the touchscreen?

OP
wacomme

wacomme

How would I put the Raspberry between the Wiim mini and my dac for just Eq correction ( and screen display)? The Raspberry doesn’t have toslink.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I have a playing plugin with Volumio. My problem is that I don’t want to pay to stream music. Is there better operating software that allows one to stream music without a subscription to the raspberry software?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I have a playing plugin with Volumio. My problem is that I don’t want to pay to stream music. Is there better operating software that allows one to stream music without a subscription to the raspberry software?
There are a number.

I'll be setting one up using Picoreplayer in the new year, with the server and client both running on the same PI.

Also check out the free ones here:

Your issue might be on integrating DSP with any of those.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Just get roon and run it on your M1 macbook air. And flash Roopiee XL on the Raspberry pi. That gives you access to roon (with all dsp settings, and upsampling.. the M1 can handle DSD512 just fine with EQ and volume leveling).

You can have multiple EQ profiles and obviously it provides other useful stuff.

It's not the cheapest solution but the annual subscription will get more expensive soon. So you can still get the lifetime for 699 USD.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Just get roon and run it on your M1 macbook air. And flash Roopiee XL on the Raspberry pi. That gives you access to roon (with all dsp settings, and upsampling.. the M1 can handle DSD512 just fine with EQ and volume leveling).

It's not the cheapest solution but the annual subscription will get more expensive soon. So you can still get the lifetime for 699 USD.
Yeah - I'm never going to pay a subscription just to stream music I already own.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I just might consider that option.

Does Roopiee XL provide music playing on the touchscreen?

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Yeah - I'm never going to pay a subscription just to stream music I already own.
I don't own any music - just Apple Music and Tidal subscriptions. Thus, what is my best option?

1) Pay for the pro version of Volumio?
2) Just use the Wiim Mini. Nice solution, and my wife can use Alexa to play music, but this setup lacks EQ. I wish I could combine the Wiim and the Raspberry for streaming and EQ, respectively.
3) Roon - either with the Raspberry or the Wiim Pro.
4) A free alternative to Volumio that incorporates music streaming.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom