• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low Cost Music Server or Streamer With EQ

wacomme

I want to set up a music server or streamer in my living room. Upstairs in my home office I use a Macbook Air M1 streaming both Apple Music and Tidal. I use HLConvolver for my EQ to Kali LP-6 v2 monitors. Downstairs I have Adam T5V monitors in my living room connected to a Topping E30ii dac and optical to a Wiim Mini streamer. The problem with the living room setup is the difficulty in providing easy accessibility to EQ. Wiim's EQ is too basic. I've tried using Audirvana and I can set up EQ for the living room monitors. However, doing so interferes with my listening to my home office monitors. Also, if I'm downstairs and want to listen to music, I need to go upstairs to change the Audirvana EQ settings to the downstairs monitors. It's cumbersome. I'm thinking of different options. I don't have downloaded music (ok, I have some). But most of my music is streamed via either Apple Music or Tidal. Possible options:

1) Wiim Pro and Roon - not out yet and expensive subscription.

2) Raspberry Pi - I cannot find one for sale.

3) Mac Mini as server. The M1 Mini is too expensive. I hear the Intel Minis have fans - not sure if this is a problem or not. If I buy a used Intel Mini on eBay, which model - how much ram, what OS is needed, etc? Where can I find setup instructions to use the Mini as a headless streamer? Would I still need the Wiim Mini? The good news is that I'm familiar with the Mac environment.

I have REW calibration and subsequent EQ settings for my living room monitors (Adam T5V) that I'd like to use. I like the streaming capabilities of the Wiim Mini, but I'm lacking the EQ (at least not easily implemented). What is my best solution? I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd wait for the Raspberry Pi to become available, then add it between Wiim and E30II.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lladsp-set-up-instructions-for-newbies.30830/

Your can track Pi availability here:

X2

If you place an order on digikey for a rpi4 my experience is it will show up in a month or two (even though rpi4s will never show up as in stock on their website).

Michael

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I'd wait for the Raspberry Pi to become available, then add it between Wiim and E30II.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lladsp-set-up-instructions-for-newbies.30830/
Why the Raspberry Pi option over the Mac Mini? Being unfamiliar with the PC environment, setting up a Raspberry seems a little daunting. Would I need to use PEQ settings for EQ, or could I use convolver (.wav) EQ? I suppose that would depend of the EQ software, but can the Raspberry Pi run convolver software? Also, how long do I need to wait for availability?

OP
wacomme

wacomme

X2

If you place an order on digikey for a rpi4 my experience is it will show up in a month or two (even though rpi4s will never show up as in stock on their website).

Michael
Is this what I need to order - https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/raspberry-pi/RASPBERRY-PI-4B-2GB/10258782? What accessories do I need? Do I need a monitor? If so, what do I need? And is it possible with the Raspberry to have a small screen (7") showing the music being played? I see these devices on this site all the time, but I don't know anything about them.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Equipment needed for Raspberry Pi setup:

1) Raspberry Pi - which model and configuration?
2) Power supply? Other accessories?
3) Software? I need software to run the Raspberry and access wifi. How do I access Apple Music and Tidal?
4) For EQ - Volumio and Fusion Dsp - both free?
5) Do I need a keyboard and monitor (touch display)?
6) Touch display - suggestions? 5" or 7" - besides setup I would like to display music info being played. Is this included as a plugin for the touch display I purchase? Is there special software needed to display the music data?
7) Anything else?

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Though pricier, there seems to be Raspberry Pi's for sale on eBay. What am I looking for if I go this route? I'm not sure I want to wait 1-2+ months for the Raspberry to become available from suppliers.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Your can track Pi availability here:
It just dawned on me about the Raspberry placement - between Wiim and E30ii. So, the Raspberry is just providing EQ and nothing else, correct? So, how powerful of a Raspberry do I need? And I presume I don't need one with wifi either. I just need to download and load the EQ software - via a USB thumbdrive?

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Would this work - Raspberry Pi 4B 2GB RAM Mini PC w/ Vilros aluminum case and power supply? I found it on eBay, though a bit pricey.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

There's also this on eBay, though much cheaper: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2GB RAM Computer w/ HeatSink and 64GBMicroSD

Do I need an enclosure? Is a headsink necessary?

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Does the Raspberry come with operating software? If not, where and how do I get it? I presume I need a small touchscreen to set it up? I live in a Mac environment - no PCs. Is that a problem to set up the Raspberry, especially if I'm just using it for EQ (Volumio and Fusion Dsp)?

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I still don't think you can beat Paradigm PW-LINK for under $200 . Anthem Room correction is quite good and you get the streaming capabilities thrown in. I have three.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I still don't think you can beat Paradigm PW-LINK for under $200 . Anthem Room correction is quite good and you get the streaming capabilities thrown in. I have three.
I never heard of it, but I'll investigate.

Upon a little investigation I think I'll stay with the Raspberry, but thank you.

DTTOM37

Equipment needed for Raspberry Pi setup:

1) Raspberry Pi - which model and configuration?
2) Power supply? Other accessories?
3) Software? I need software to run the Raspberry and access wifi. How do I access Apple Music and Tidal?
4) For EQ - Volumio and Fusion Dsp - both free?
5) Do I need a keyboard and monitor (touch display)?
6) Touch display - suggestions? 5" or 7" - besides setup I would like to display music info being played. Is this included as a plugin for the touch display I purchase? Is there special software needed to display the music data?
7) Anything else?
1) https://www.headphonesty.com/2021/0...y-pi-network-music-streamer-with-touchscreen/
2) Stock or open end quality LPS ... your decision
3) Flavour of your taste - The software choice is usual very personal, Volumio for easy going or PiCorePlayer for the number of free plugIns .. Moode and Rune are other top dogs, but there are new flavours around.
4) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/rpi4-camilladsp-tutorial.29656/
5) Usually the RPI can be configured headless per ssh i.e using Putty or such, later you will use it via web interface on tablet, mobile or PC. Volumio has its own app.
6) https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/rasp...-screen-for-raspberry-pi-800x480-p-11161.html, but you sure find cheaper ones.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

1) https://www.headphonesty.com/2021/0...y-pi-network-music-streamer-with-touchscreen/
2) Stock or open end quality LPS ... your decision
3) Flavour of your taste - The software choice is usual very personal, Volumio for easy going or PiCorePlayer for the number of free plugIns .. Moode and Rune are other top dogs, but there are new flavours around.
4) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/rpi4-camilladsp-tutorial.29656/
5) Usually the RPI can be configured headless per ssh i.e using Putty or such, later you will use it via web interface on tablet, mobile or PC. Volumio has its own app.
6) https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/rasp...-screen-for-raspberry-pi-800x480-p-11161.html, but you sure find cheaper ones.
Thank you. I've placed orders and will be putting together a raspberry pi system soon.

Question: Since I have the Wiim Mini, should I replace the Mini with the Raspberry, or should I put the Raspberry between the Wiim and the dac and use the Raspberry for EQ and displaying playing music only? In other words, is there any advantage to using the Wiim as the actual streamer . . . or is that a waste?

KR500

Does your Mac Mini have the equalizer in iTunes ?

I use mine with High Sierra so maybe the Apple equalizer is not available after later versions and Apple Music

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Does your Mac Mini have the equalizer in iTunes ?

I use mine with High Sierra so maybe the Apple equalizer is not available after later versions and Apple Music
I’m looking for more specificity with EQ than the Mac eq provides.

Top Bottom