• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low-cost center channel output??

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe that the 5 ch extraction works only for AC3 type encoded Audio on HDMI, it will not work for true 5 channel PCM streams.

Thanks for the info - I am not familiar at all with the many A/V formats and their interactions. Here are the specs for the decoder in my diagram.
  • 1X HDMI input and 1X HDMI output can sync separation HDMI audio signal.
  • Supports 1x SPDIF optical digital audio output, multi-channel RCA analog audio output
  • Supports 12-bit Deep Color Full HD,3D and 4K2K video
  • DC 5V US power adapter, High quality, low noise support 4K video
  • Supports 3 modes for audio output. You can switch among multi-channel, stereo (2CH) and mute.
  • Support multi-channel LPCM digital audio to analog output, up to 7.1CH.
Most of the video I watch is MP4 x264 with AAC audio. When I play an MP4 video file with AAC 5.1 audio on a Linux PC with Kodi, if I am reading the Kodi info correctly, multi-channel audio output to HDMI is 5.1 PCM.

From a Kodi Forum discussion:
Personally I'd set 'Number of channels to 5.1' and then disable all passthrough settings initially - which will mean DD/AC3, DTS, Dolby True HD, DTS HD MA/HRA, AAC, FLAC, PCM etc. multichannel audio should all be output in 5.1 or 7.1 PCM. That will then tell you whether 5.1/7.1 HDMI multichannel PCM is working.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the info - I am not familiar at all with the many A/V formats and their interactions. Here are the specs for the decoder in my diagram.
  • 1X HDMI input and 1X HDMI output can sync separation HDMI audio signal.
  • Supports 1x SPDIF optical digital audio output, multi-channel RCA analog audio output
  • Supports 12-bit Deep Color Full HD,3D and 4K2K video
  • DC 5V US power adapter, High quality, low noise support 4K video
  • Supports 3 modes for audio output. You can switch among multi-channel, stereo (2CH) and mute.
  • Support multi-channel LPCM digital audio to analog output, up to 7.1CH.
Most of the video I watch is MP4 x264 with AAC audio. When I play an MP4 video file with AAC 5.1 audio on a Linux PC with Kodi, if I am reading the Kodi info correctly, multi-channel audio output to HDMI is 5.1 PCM.

From a Kodi Forum discussion:
Hello,
My comment about Mch extraction from HDMI were wrong, I was thinking digital extraction. For analog all is good and the said box will do as advertised. It would be really good if the quality of these boxes could be measured.

Top Bottom