• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Love the YouTube channel, but many clueless and low-value comments there.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reading the comments at the YouTube version of the Dan Clark Stealth review, I noticed that, as is typical on YouTube, there were some very lame comments and a fair amount of whining about the cost of these superb limited edition headphones. While reading the comments, I realized how much I appreciate the much higher level of discourse in many threads here at ASR.

I was going to post the below comment, but backed off and deleted it before hitting the reply button. Some clueless commenter who obviously operates from the common internet position of babbling before checking anything out, posted "Would be cool to see you measure and listen to some new R2R DACs" when the subject has been already been thrashed thoroughly here at ASR via reviews and heated discussions. When @VintageFlanker pointed this out, the defensive whining began, and I was going to reply with the below, but backed off and deleted the comment before posting. (The same commenter also stated " I love measurements as well , but no one with a serious system has a topping DAc. Get over yourself.")

That was a painfully obvious defensive "lashing out" comment, likely from a young and inexperienced audio fan - the kind of comment that the younger generation might call "butthurt" motivated. Vintage Flanker is indeed a valued and experienced contributor at ASR - one among many intelligent amateur and professional participants who participate there, and someone whose opinions are usually worth reading. The "opinions" of those discussion participants (not just VintageFlanker) who demonstrate familiarity with and an understanding of evidence-backed "facts" are far more valuable than those of people whose opinions are based simply on emotion without any backing evidence.

-------------------

On a more productive note, my morning ASR session prompted me to think of a possible couple of topics for @Amir for future videos:

R2R vs Traditional Audio DACs - which technology works best?

and

Are superb performing DACS like Topping and SMSL - suitable for "serious" audio systems?
(I would guess that the answer is yes - especially for those who recognize that speaker/amplifier matching and room treatment and/or DSP are the most important factors in making any system - entry-level or 'high-end" system - sound good. I can easily visualize a system with a Topping D90SE DAC, Benchmark or Mark Levinson amplifiers, and top-of-the line Revel loudspeakers that would be very "seriously" good. (Although I would probably go for an RME ADI-2 DAC.)

D

Deleted member 21219

I have several interests. You can find entries on YouTube for each and every one of them, and each and every one of them elicits "clueless and low-value" comments.

That's the internet for you. Jim

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reading the comments at the YouTube version of the Dan Clark Stealth review, I noticed that, as is typical on YouTube, there were some very lame comments and a fair amount of whining about the cost of these superb limited edition headphones. While reading the comments, I realized how much I appreciate the much higher level of discourse in many threads here at ASR.
YouTube is what it is: a new medium of communication for ASR, obviously more on the vulgarization side: It brings a very new audience as a result. This is a good thing, and I'm glad to see Amir's audience growing.

Still, as this actual forum is going bigger and bigger, you will see more and more half-cured subjectivists who still don't understand that measurements are not "opinions" of any kind. Then, when data doesn't match their personal preference, suddenly they go again with the "measurements don't tell the whole story blablabla" stuff...
When @VintageFlanker pointed this out, the defensive whining began, and I was going to reply with the below, but backed off and deleted the comment before posting. (The same commenter also stated " I love measurements as well , but no one with a serious system has a topping DAc. Get over yourself.")
As a perfect example of what I'm talking about:
who I’m dealing with? Lol. You’re not curing cancer buddy. You’re doing measurements for audio equipment. Big deal. Your and my opinions are the be all end all. They are just opinions. Yes measurements are definitely a great tool for audio. I wouldn’t want to be without them. But again they are another tool. Not the whole picture.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have several interests. You can find entries on YouTube for each and every one of them, and each and every one of them elicits "clueless and low-value" comments.

That's the internet for you. Jim
That's the main reason I don't 'do' YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and the rest. Everybody's entitled to their opinions, and, boy, do they express them! Regardless of whether their opinions are of any value.

It's just noise, which does nothing for the S/N ratio of any thread. Shannon was completely right about information and noise.

S

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No we are not curing cancer here. But we are trying to do something with excellence, the scientific method, and great personal committment and passion. Not everyone gets to cure cancer, nor go to the moon. One problem with the whole internet and maybe much of its "generation" is the confusion of opinions and feelings with facts. This also bleeds over into our political discourse. So I am not surprised.

And ASR may be becoming a victim of its own success. Often there are threads I might have some interest in , that are only a few days or weeks old but there are already hundreds of responses. Those are frequently "noisy."

I would invite the moderators to tighten up very much on anybody that said, "Get over yourself"

I am not in favor of being humorless (I'm the guy that says "It ain't th Space Shuttle , it's a record player" with thanks to Taryl Dactyl) But I think we should have zero tolerance for bad manners. It is not bad manners to carefully point out to someone that their opinion is just that.

If I ran the circus , I would instantly ban anyone who indulged in interpersonal unpleasantness.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mate just look at John darkos battle. He couldn’t stand the hordes of zombies posting on his videos and fighting in the comments section. Then everyone got super pissed when he turned comments off!

There is just no reason to fight or argue over audio gear. Really we all want the same thing, we should be on the same team, and we should all be helping people on the way to the top instead of kicking someone off just because they use a topping DAC or a “mid-fi” amplifier. At the end of the day remember to use your ears and if you like the sound then just enjoy it! Don’t listen to people online who don’t, because they’ve probably never heard your system anyway!

Last edited:

Daverz

Major Contributor
Reading the comments at the YouTube version of the Dan Clark Stealth review, I noticed that, as is typical on YouTube, there were some very lame comments and a fair amount of whining about the cost of these superb limited edition headphones.

Yeah, what could they cost? $600? $800? Hardly unusual for excellent headphones.

<Checks Review>.

Holy shit!

UniPolar

Fortunately, the gods were listening and they created the 'ignore' feature.... :)

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  1. Don't blame the clown. Ask yourself why you are going back to the circus.
  2. Youtube doesn't filter or ban people. This forum does.
  3. Fact: Half of all the people on this planet are more stupid than the average.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well, I think that all I can add to a discussion like this one is...

1645919236862.png

:cool:

sorry! sorry!
:facepalm:

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
A reminder (for me at least) to be thankful that ASR does not run on ad revenue. A web property like YouTube is built on an ad revenue model that requires "engagement". Yes, a lot of that comes from an almost bottomless pit of content, a great deal of which can be interesting / useful. But YouTube certainly doesn't discourage flame wars in the comment sections; the more time people spend on YouTube arguing back and forth the more ad dollars YouTube racks up.

Also a reminder to be thankful for our moderators (@AdamG247 & @BDWoody). They do a great job letting discussions flow -- even heated ones -- but in my experience are also great about shutting things down when someone crosses the line. With such a steady influx of new members every month I'm amazed how the discussions on ASR have remained civil. They deserve a ton of credit.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In this hobby, you have to very carefully pick the spots where you're spending your money. There are opportunities to blow kilobucks on power cables, resin cast speakers from Utah, and headphone amplifiers that look like they have the bumper of a 1957 Buick bolted on as their front plate.

So if you're careful, and patient, and save yourself for Mr Right (component, that is) so you can give the thing you value most (your money, of course) for the component of your dreams.

Otherwise, you'll just be wearing a Wilson, or PS Audio tattoo as your "tramp stamp." Your choice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom