• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

loudspeakers L/R matching are sometimes terrible !

Is this an audible problem when listening to two loudspeakers ?

• 1. Yes, very audible

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • 2. Yes, slightly audible

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • 3. No, not a big problem

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • 4. No, not audible

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From my own experience, 1 dB difference in the midrange is audible as a slightly worse stereo perception.
A wide 1 dB deviation can be audible also in my experience.

So why are there still people who says that much larger deviances between L/R speakers doesnt matter ?
Who said that? Also on most loudspeakers measurements you linked from HFN the deviation in the important mid range seems not to be higher than that 1 dB limit.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Such quality analysis posts are what I love in ASR, thank you! :cool:
Thanks. I struggled with this concept of matched components for years. I remember the first time I built a pair of expensive DIY kits (Seas Thor) I got the drivers in matched pairs from the distributor for extra money. I then got the supposedly matched-pairs mixed up in my shop, and was so unhappy. Then, I started making measurements and I got happy again realizing the matching criteria was bogus, except I realized I wasted money on paying the distributor the extra money. Same with building the crossover, I did every snake-oil move on the planet (except cryo, it wasn't invented when I built these...;))
1658014451898.png

The money I wasted, but it sure was fun!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I struggled with this concept of matched components for years. I remember the first time I built a pair of expensive DIY kits (Seas Thor) I got the drivers in matched pairs from the distributor for extra money. I then got the supposedly matched-pairs mixed up in my shop, and was so unhappy. Then, I started making measurements and I got happy again realizing the matching criteria was bogus, except I realized I wasted money on paying the distributor the extra money. Same with building the crossover, I did every snake-oil move on the planet (except cryo, it wasn't invented when I built these...;))
View attachment 218672

The money I wasted, but it sure was fun!
Yes, since it is a hobby the trip and fun counts more than the wasted money and time almost all of us had at some time point.
Luckily I never really believed in such crossover legends and was confirmed when I changed all crossover components of my quality 1979 Technics SB-10 to brand new and "better" ones:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1979 Technics SB-10
I ran the aluminum cabinet Technics bench monitors for years and they sounded fantastic and the tweeters where priced very very well for when I fried them. I drooled over the SB-10's a lot. A very intriguing speaker model.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I ran the aluminum cabinet Technics bench monitors for years and they sounded fantastic and the tweeters where priced very very well for when I fried them. I drooled over the SB-10's a lot. A very intriguing speaker model.
I agree and am glad to have them in my vintage loudspeaker collection, not many loudspeakers out there with an AES paper about them!
https://www.aes.org/e-lib/online/browse.cfm?elib=3882 (free download here http://jahonen.kapsi.fi/Audio/Papers/Loudspeaker with honeycomb disk diaphragm/ )

Also some more measurements and comparisons with references like the B&W 801 of that time here:
and
index.php

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Yes, since it is a hobby the trip and fun counts more than the wasted money and time almost all of us had at some time point.
Luckily I never really believed in such crossover legends and was confirmed when I changed all crossover components of my quality 1979 Technics SB-10 to brand new and "better" ones:
Thanks for pointing me this thread. Very nice experiment and analysis. Nice old speakers too!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also some more measurements and comparisons with references like the B&W 801 of that time
I was test driving a B&W 801 Matrix and I bashed the voice coil to bits with a Luxman M-03. It was some very thumpy music and I was dialing in the bass and whamO thwack! It took a hit and was dented/destroyed. The sales rep came over and replaced the woofer in warranty and never said a word. I felt bad but the Infinity Kappa 9's took it and so I figured why not give it a try with the B&W's.
Luxman-M-03-19.JPG

Luxman-M-03-15.JPG

Ruhled

With conventional speakers with identical crossovers, I think it's time well spent to measure then swap L and R, and remeasure. I found usually one of these will result in overall slightly more cohesive response when the room the speakers have to live in is factored in. I've gone so far as so even swap tweeters around and remeasure twice again. Or in the case of compression drivers swap diaphragms between the two channels. I've fixed some 5 or 6db narrow band anomalies this way. Just my .02. There's some variables you can play with here having two of everything. I have a set of old Snell speakers in my arsenal that also have slightly different crossovers in their attempt to voice all their speakers as close to a production ideal as possible but once the speakers are in a room all that goes out the window imho.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread is interesting. I've bought and collected matched tweeter sets and now I'm learning that it was in vain.

MAB

Major Contributor
I was test driving a B&W 801 Matrix and I bashed the voice coil to bits with a Luxman M-03. It was some very thumpy music and I was dialing in the bass and whamO thwack! It took a hit and was dented/destroyed. The sales rep came over and replaced the woofer in warranty and never said a word. I felt bad but the Infinity Kappa 9's took it and so I figured why not give it a try with the B&W's.
Luxman-M-03-19.JPG

Luxman-M-03-15.JPG
Uff da! Kappa 9's at running at full-beans makes me more scared for the amp!
Neat amp!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Neat amp!
Lol. Yes it was a bit of a load for the amp but stuff like the M-03 could take it. High wattage, under-rated amp.

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
This thread is interesting. I've bought and collected matched tweeter sets and now I'm learning that it was in vain.
No its not . If the matched tweeters measures more alike , then there is a real difference .

Just because one person says its bogus doesnt mean that its true in all cases.

Just like the importance of calibrated microphones within 1 dB - everyone with a dsp should also calibrate each of their speakers so they sound the same within 1 dB .

The room will change the sound , but its still the direct sound from the speaker thats gonna do most of perceived listening experience depending on the precedence and HAAS effect,- the first arriving sound , where your brain will focus on the direct sound from the speaker , and the room sound will be attenuated in the brain as much as -10 dB .
(You dont hear like a microphone with distances bigger than 5 ms soundtravel .
The brain selects sounds, the microphone takes up all the sound . )

So - yes , matching loudspeakers L/R sometimes DOES make a difference in the spatial sound experience .

This discussion is needed for better high fidelity and better sound with 2 channels in stereo.:)

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Neat amp!
Luxman M-03 at quiescent condition had +/- 81VDC for a peak-out possibility of 410W RMS peak @ 10A DC peak/ch. It was renowned for power output exceeding it's factory rating of 200W/ch RMS.

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
With conventional speakers with identical crossovers, I think it's time well spent to measure then swap L and R, and remeasure. I found usually one of these will result in overall slightly more cohesive response when the room the speakers have to live in is factored in. I've gone so far as so even swap tweeters around and remeasure twice again. Or in the case of compression drivers swap diaphragms between the two channels. I've fixed some 5 or 6db narrow band anomalies this way. Just my .02. There's some variables you can play with here having two of everything. I have a set of old Snell speakers in my arsenal that also have slightly different crossovers in their attempt to voice all their speakers as close to a production ideal as possible but once the speakers are in a room all that goes out the window imho.
I agree. But the room does not destroy your ability to hear differences , if they are big enough .

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor

Another example of a loudspeaker that gonna do less good in a stereo setup because of the differences between L/R speakers . Red is R , black is L .

”Pair-matching, again, was a slightly poor 2.2dB as one of our speakers possessed a higher 2kHz-20kHz output than the other”

27845CD0-04A3-46AD-819D-60A61D76614A.jpeg

MAB

Major Contributor
Actually, hold your horded goods for just a minute more before you post it all on eBay...
Manufacturers do change over time.
For instance, current Seas Excel W18 driver (V2) vs. V1 from 20 years ago.
They look different (V2 on left, V1 on right). Aside from the cosmetic differences, the surrounds, and voice coil former to cone junction are different. The surrounds appear different. The baskets are slightly different (not likely interesting). Spider looks different too.
1658024006827.jpeg

Datasheets for V1 vs. V2 show significant differences:
ParameterW18E001 E0018 v1W18E001 E0018 v2
Voice Coil R6.1 Ω6.1 Ω
Voice Coil L0.4 mH0.65 mH
Force Factor7.2 N/A6.6 N/A
Free Air Resonance31 Hz34 Hz
Moving Mass15.5 g15.5 g
Suspension Compliance1.6 mm/N1.4 mm/N
VAS37 l30 l
QTS0.340.42
QMS2.52.91
QES0.390.49

I tried to attach both datasheets below. While the cone and motor appear unchanged, the changes to the surround and suspension components appear to have made a systematically different speaker.
1658025193265.png

The driver doesn't even look the same on the baffle, the surround and VC to cone junction stand out. They both sound similar sweeping a variety of tones. You can certainly still hear the 4-5 kHz shriek cause by the breakup mode of the cone, but I can't tell that it has moved up in frequency by 400 MHz or so.:eek:

Also, manufacturers struggle mostly with changes over time, all sorts of reasons. Many are not reported, or noticed. Seas actually releases new datasheets to reflect the fact that they changed stuff. Many don't notify, and surprises happen.:cool:

Attachments

• e0018_w18e001_datasheet v1.pdf
    64.3 KB · Views: 42
  • e0018_w18e001_datasheet v2.pdf
    134.5 KB · Views: 38

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, hold your horded goods for just a minute more before you post it all on eBay...
Manufacturers do change over time.
For instance, current Seas Excel W18 driver (V2) vs. V1 from 20 years ago.
They look different (V2 on left, V1 on right). Aside from the cosmetic differences, the surrounds, and voice coil former to cone junction are different. The surrounds appear different. The baskets are slightly different (not likely interesting). Spider looks different too.
View attachment 218685

Datasheets for V1 vs. V2 show significant differences:
ParameterW18E001 E0018 v1W18E001 E0018 v2
Voice Coil R6.1 Ω6.1 Ω
Voice Coil L0.4 mH0.65 mH
Force Factor7.2 N/A6.6 N/A
Free Air Resonance31 Hz34 Hz
Moving Mass15.5 g15.5 g
Suspension Compliance1.6 mm/N1.4 mm/N
VAS37 l30 l
QTS0.340.42
QMS2.52.91
QES0.390.49

I tried to attach both datasheets below. While the cone and motor appear unchanged, the changes to the surround and suspension components appear to have made a systematically different speaker.
View attachment 218691

The driver doesn't even look the same on the baffle, the surround and VC to cone junction stand out. They both sound similar sweeping a variety of tones. You can certainly still hear the 4-5 kHz shriek cause by the breakup mode of the cone, but I can't tell that it has moved up in frequency by 400 MHz or so.:eek:

Also, manufacturers struggle mostly with changes over time, all sorts of reasons. Many are not reported, or noticed. Seas actually releases new datasheets to reflect the fact that they changed stuff. Many don't notify, and surprises happen.:cool:
I dig the physics of drivers and think it's beaucoup cool. Most of it goes over my noggin. The speaker guru/experts here @ASR make my knowledge look pretty base...lol. So I leave it to them. But yeah I collected matched pairs of Energy Connoisseur 22 and KEF 107.2 tweeters.
1206769-382b1108-energy-22-reference-connoisseur.jpg

2543469-008aeb56-kef-1072s.jpg

MAB

Major Contributor
I dig the physics of drivers and think it's beaucoup cool. Most of it goes over my noggin. The speaker guru/experts here @ASR make my knowledge look pretty base...lol. So I leave it to them. But yeah I collected matched pairs of Energy Connoisseur 22 and KEF 107.2 tweeters.
1206769-382b1108-energy-22-reference-connoisseur.jpg

2543469-008aeb56-kef-1072s.jpg
Candy

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor

And another ….

”Pair matching over the same frequency range is poor at ±2.3dB”

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor

”Pair matching is disappointing at ±2.0dB, the largest disparities again occurring in the treble.”

Top Bottom