• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loudspeaker Management Systems

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anybody here except me care about these? I use an RCF DX 2006 as part of an in-home active system, which is a bit unusual; but for DJ use they are quite popular (think: DCX2496).

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not quite a loudspeaker management system, but I currently run my speakers through a BSS BLU-160 which is being criminally underutilized since I haven't had the time to implement all my original plans for it.

OP
fpitas

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not quite a loudspeaker management system, but I currently run my speakers through a BSS BLU-160 which is being criminally underutilized since I haven't had the time to implement all my original plans for it.
Yeah, that's certainly close to the subject.

gnarly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I used a DCX2496 for xover between subs and mains for a while.
Then I got into DIY speaker building and moved up to a Linea Research ASC-48. Nice unit.
But for speaker processing nowadays, I'm heavily into Q-Sys and QSC Cores....500i and 110f. The 500i is truly a beast !!

OP
fpitas

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used a DCX2496 for xover between subs and mains for a while.
Then I got into DIY speaker building and moved up to a Linea Research ASC-48. Nice unit.
But for speaker processing nowadays, I'm heavily into Q-Sys and QSC Cores....500i and 110f. The 500i is truly a beast !!
That Linea Research ASC-48 was on my short list when I upgraded my DCX2496. Glad it worked out for you. Those Q-Sys are from QSC?

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What features characterize a “Management System?” Not familiar with the term.

OP
fpitas

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What features characterize a “Management System?” Not familiar with the term.
It usually has DSP for EQ, selectable crossover slopes, and digital delay. Balanced inputs for each channel, and 3 or 4 balanced outputs to amplifiers for the drivers. Most have RS-232 control from an app on a computer or phone. Basically, it's all the processing you need for an active system.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It usually has DSP for EQ, selectable crossover slopes, and digital delay. Balanced inputs for each channel, and 3 or 4 balanced outputs to amplifiers for the drivers. Most have RS-232 control from an app on a computer or phone. Basically, it's all the processing you need for an active system.

Then I guess I’m confused how BLU-160 isn’t directly on point. The top tier AVPs (Storm, Lyngdorf, Trinnov) would be, too. Except for the RS-232 thing maybe, which I don’t really understand. That’s the ancient serial plug right? Is that a USB input in modern context?

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a DCX2496 in my home system as the crossover for my 3-way active 'speakers. Very convenient, easy to set up, pretty much fit and forget.
I use it with the DEQ2496 to provide graphic and parametric EQ for the 'speakers.

Can't fault either product.

S.

OP
fpitas

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then I guess I’m confused how BLU-160 isn’t directly on point. The top tier AVPs (Storm, Lyngdorf, Trinnov) would be, to. Except for the RS-232 thing maybe, which I don’t really understand. That’s the ancient serial plug right? Is that a USB input in modern context?
I'm not familiar with the BLU-160, but it seems to be far more than the normal management system. RS-232 is still used for a lot of basic communications. I imagine some of the recent systems have USB.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Then I guess I’m confused how BLU-160 isn’t directly on point. The top tier AVPs (Storm, Lyngdorf, Trinnov) would be, to. Except for the RS-232 thing maybe, which I don’t really understand. That’s the ancient serial plug right? Is that a USB input in modern context?
RS232 is still used in CI and pro audio as it is simplifies the software implementation and lowers cost as a couple of reasons.

Here is a good run down on why it is still in use.

JPA

Forum Donor
I use DCX2496 crossovers for my DIY LCR active 3-way speakers in my HT.
I've started designing a new set of 4-way LCRs for the family room. Those will use Ashly Protea 4.8sp crossovers.
Once you go active you never go back.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not familiar with the BLU-160, but it seems to be far more than the normal management system. RS-232 is still used for a lot of basic communications. I imagine some of the recent systems have USB.

That makes sense. I’ve used a few, most recently BSS BLU-50, BLU-100, and miniDSP 10x10HD (that one doesn’t have RS-232. I think the BSS units do). JBL Intonato seems interesting but I have no experience with it.

If you relax the balanced I/O requirement there are a few “car” controllers that are powerful and of reasonable cost. They can be used at home with a 12V SMPS. I was looking for something with min 2ch digital in, matrix routing, and 6-8 channel out with Dirac Live for our 2 channel system. The only thing at any cost I could find was miniDSP C-DSP 8x12DL. It uses the same Dirac as the “home” stuff, alas no DLBC.

OP
fpitas

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That makes sense. I’ve used a few, most recently BSS BLU-50, BLU-100, and miniDSP 10x10HD (that one doesn’t have RS-232. I think the BSS units do). JBL Intonato seems interesting but I have no experience with it.

If you relax the balanced I/O requirement there are a few “car” controllers that are powerful and of reasonable cost. They can be used at home with a 12V SMPS. I was looking for something with min 2ch digital in, matrix routing, and 6-8 channel out with Dirac Live for our 2 channel system. The only thing at any cost I could find was miniDSP C-DSP 8x12DL. It uses the same Dirac as the “home” stuff, alas no DLBC.
I'm not terribly worried about cost. The DX 2006 was right around $1300. My old DCX2496 was only $250 or so, but I fancied I heard some digital artifacts that I don't hear with the DX 2006.

OP
fpitas

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose part of what I was envisioning here was a "shoot-out" between the normal suspects one sees at Sweetwater etc. The right measurements would probably illustrate differences between older DACS, ADCs and DSPs vs the newer ones. DSPs have also gotten much larger lately, say 40 bits vs 32. These are things that recording engineers have claimed make audible differences when doing any serious EQing or shelving etc.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Symetrix makes some nice stuff . I would look into them .

OP
fpitas

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Symetrix makes some nice stuff . I would look into them .
There's a lot of promising looking stuff out there. Unfortunately, there's very little real data on most. Even user reviews are mostly non-existent once you get to top-tier stuff.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Reminds me I need to finish my media/ "studio" room setup. Gonna find a Clair iO somewhere... I mocked up settings to do stereo low/ top with my old Zenith Allegro's and Fostex PX5's, looks promising.

kipman725

There's a lot of promising looking stuff out there. Unfortunately, there's very little real data on most. Even user reviews are mostly non-existent once you get to top-tier stuff.
I have symetrix 8x8, DIGIO, Radius AEC. QSC BASIS series. From the limited testing I have done SNR is comparable to my TASCAM US HR-2x2 interface so there isn't much point doing further testing unless better test equipment is used.

Top Bottom