• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loudspeaker Efficiency

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Well, here's another strike the greenies can hold against us.

"You will get a shock if you know how inefficient the conversion of the electrical power
Pe of the amplifier to the emitted (acoustical) sound power Pac of the speaker really is.
The efficiency is only around 2 percent."

Me (roughly):

upload_2018-2-10_16-54-2.png

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-efficiency.htm

(my "go to" calculating site)

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Is it just me or is there something more to sensitivity than just watts in and dB out? I always get the feeling a high sensitivity speakers (especially horns) are far more dynamic than less sensitive speakers. It seems like lower sensitivity cone speakers never could quite reach that dramatic emotional feeling associated with live symphonic big dynamics. Less sensitive speakers could never reach that level no matter how much power you throw at it.

Wombat

Master Contributor
A horn loudspeaker can be considered to be an acoustic transformer which improves the impedance matching between the 'heavy' driver diaphragm and the low density air which increases coupling and thus power transfer between the two. The result is higher efficiency than conventional drivers and theoretically better transient response.

High efficiency drivers utilise powerful motors with lightweight cones. The trade-off is inferior bass extension.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We need measurements. Big drum thrack on horns and on boxes measured by Rew or something.

Btw, speakers are about as efficient as incandescent bulbs for light output. 1 to 2 %. Big horns are like florescent bulbs. We need the LED version of speakers.

Wombat

Master Contributor
We need measurements. Big drum thrack on horns and on boxes measured by Rew or something.

Btw, speakers are about as efficient as incandescent bulbs for light output. 1 to 2 %. Big horns are like florescent bulbs. We need the LED version of speakers.

Just use the blink-test. ;)

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Big horns are like florescent bulbs. We need the LED version of speakers.

Big horns are more like a spotlight.

My panels are 4 foot flourescents.

Headphones are the current LED version.

PS: He should know we need measurements. Cheers.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to see that, but should they be taken in a real room, or in a anechoic chamber?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My Tune Audio Anima speakers are 109dB/watt so I am doing my bit for climate change on the hifi front, after 35 years of being on an international flight almost every other week I have a lot to make up...

Cosmik

Major Contributor
My Tune Audio Anima speakers are 109dB/watt so I am doing my bit for climate change on the hifi front, after 35 years of being on an international flight almost every other week I have a lot to make up...
The Devialet Phantom Gold does 109dB with a mere 4500W.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it just me or is there something more to sensitivity than just watts in and dB out? I always get the feeling a high sensitivity speakers (especially horns) are far more dynamic than less sensitive speakers. It seems like lower sensitivity cone speakers never could quite reach that dramatic emotional feeling associated with live symphonic big dynamics. Less sensitive speakers could never reach that level no matter how much power you throw at it.

I have the same "feeling". I live in a small house in the city so space is a constraint and big horns are er... big. Physics sucks sometimes.

Question: All else being equal, are dynamics directly proportional to the size of the speakers?

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'd love to see that, but should they be taken in a real room, or in a anechoic chamber?

Real Room is where we all end up using our speakers.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And yet, if we're talking about feelings, i.e. subjective impressions, I've always found high sensitivity loudspeakers horribly coloured, and have always preferred low sensitivity designs.

Before I went totally over to active 'speakers, I evaluated several and ended up with IMFs, followed by large KEF 105.2s as being the most correct for my ears. I currently use B&W 801s, albeit now active.

I too would love to see some measurements that related sensitivity to coloration.

S

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And yet, if we're talking about feelings, i.e. subjective impressions, I've always found high sensitivity loudspeakers horribly coloured, and have always preferred low sensitivity designs.

Before I went totally over to active 'speakers, I evaluated several and ended up with IMFs, followed by large KEF 105.2s as being the most correct for my ears. I currently use B&W 801s, albeit now active.

I too would love to see some measurements that related sensitivity to coloration.

S
Interesting Serge. I have liked and loathed speakers of every type and come to the conclusion it is about good engineering rather than type.
The most disappointing speakers I ever auditioned, given their reputation, were Spendor BC1s. They sounded delightful on speech and simple music but were pathetic on Mahler (which I listen to a lot).
I have heard screechy horns and mellow ones, and so forth.
It is difficult to measure horns in a conventional way because of the inevitable wide spacing of the drivers. Certainly waterfall plots from horns and panels that I have seen all look hideous compared to well engineered normal drivers.
My direct driver speakers probably are less coloured than the horns though not enough for the horns not to be played.

Top Bottom