• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loudspeaker driver comparisons

Mivera

Major Contributor
If we compare the measured perimeters between these 2 drivers, what does it tell us about the difference in the tonal qualities we should expect between the 2?

18wu-8741t00.jpg
18wu-8747t00.jpg

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Used within what frequency band?

Let's say a 4th order crossover was used at 2400hz, and they ran full range below that.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
We won't hear the drivers per se, but rather the system. Room interaction dominates <500Hz too. However, that said, I would not use the upper driver >1k. The wiggle in the impedance and corresponding drama in the FR at around 1.1k would alarm Floyd Toole. Me too.:)
Your off axis would be a mess too crossed that high. Those Scan drivers are nice looking. Is this a design for audiophiles?

cheers,

AJ

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
We won't hear the drivers per se, but rather the system. Room interaction dominates <500Hz too. However, that said, I would not use the upper driver >1k. The wiggle in the impedance and corresponding drama in the FR at around 1.1k would alarm Floyd Toole. Me too.:)
Your off axis would be a mess too crossed that high. Those Scan drivers are nice looking. Is this a design for audiophiles?

cheers,

AJ

They are completely interchangeable drivers. Some companies offer an option of either one without modding the crossovers at all. They are Scan-Speak illuminator 7" mid woofers. Some of the best 7" midwoofers available. They have a very advanced underhung motor system. Yes mainly used for home audio.

18WU_full size rear.jpg

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
They are Scan-Speak illuminator 7" mid woofers.
Yes I know.:) I'm in the speaker business as Amir might say.

They are completely interchangeable drivers. Some companies offer an option of either one without modding the crossovers at all.
Absolutely not, especially at 2.4k 4th order. That would be woefully insufficient for the aluminum cone (never mind the disastrous off axis and very audible 1.1k resonance with the paper). They would require different notch filters to deal with the quite different cone breakups. Any company doing that has no clue acoustically. However, if the package looks good enough, it will do well with audiophiles. Throw in a rave review from a magazine shepherd for icing. No question some companies have that down to a science.

cheers,

AJ

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Absolutely not, especially at 2.4k 4th order. That would be woefully insufficient for the aluminum cone (never mind the disastrous off axis and very audible 1.1k resonance with the paper). They would require different notch filters to deal with the quite different cone breakups. Any company doing that has no clue acoustically. However, if the package looks good enough, it will do well with audiophiles. Throw in a rave review from a magazine shepherd for icing. No question some companies have that down to a science.
AJ

Hi there, I know I'm resurrecting a very old thread, but I am investigating possible upgrade 6.5" or 7” drivers for my speakers. I was drawn to the Scan-Speak 18WU/8741T00 due to its potential use in acoustic suspension designs, but your comments are somewhat off-putting!

Are there any mid bass drivers with a low EBP that you'd recommend for a ~2khz crossover?

Last edited:
Top Bottom