• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loudness War, the limit of the 0dB in digital or Analog better than Digital?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@fieldcar it's only been in the past few years that a healthy headroom below FS has become a standard, and I am sure the news has yet to reach some mixing engineers. I'm fairly sure that 32-bit (often 64 for a long time) mixers have been the standard for close to 20 years. I actually started using FLStudio back when it was still called Fruityloops - it's on version 21.x now and I started with 2.7x... I have never had a mixer track clip internally, it was FP even back then.

If you'll note, the video you posted is 9 years old, and it wasn't a new thing even then!

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I actually started using FLStudio back when it was still called Fruityloops
Nice. Similar experience here too.

If you'll note, the video you posted is 9 years old, and it wasn't a new thing even then!
It just illustrates that it's even more sad that this is still an issue.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Devil's advocate: I don't know what the rest of the recording looks like from the waveform you posted. I would argue that the very highest, short peaks on a high dynamic range album SHOULD be soft-clipped a little. This is what you'd see if the mixing engineer got as much loudness as they could out of the recording without going overboard, and doesn't imply heavy compression overall.

What you posted looks more like they clipped every other bass note in a totally heavy-handed way, but in theory a few ms of soft-clipping here and there is nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom