• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lou Ottens - Inventor of the Cassette and CD has died

ajawamnet

I guess for the most part so has his inventions. Yea I know, there's still a lot of people who love the stuff.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/11/lou-ottens-inventor-of-the-cassette-tape-dies-aged-94
Note:
"Ottens, who died on Saturday, had little patience with the renewed popularity of the cassette tape – or even vinyl.
“Nothing can match the sound of the CD,” he had told the Dutch newspaper NRC Handelsblad. “It is absolutely noise and rumble-free. That never worked with tape … I have made a lot of record players and I know that the distortion with vinyl is much higher. I think people mainly hear what they want to hear.” "

And yea - I know - what would you expect from the guy that invented the CD.

But I keep hearing Roger Nichols in the back of my head; from his book:
https://www.alfred.com/the-roger-nichols-recording-method/p/00-40830/

"Snap, Crackle, and Pop Music

By Roger Nichols

I originally got involved in recording music because I hated clicks and pops on records. I figured that the only way that I was going to get good quality recordings to play was to record them myself. I could then bring home two-track 15 ips copies to play on my stereo. Much better than the Rice Crispy sound of vinyl LPs.

When the Compact Disc became a reality, I was beside myself. I was also close by the side of any record company exec who could get me any discs to play on my new found CD player. Since CDs preserved all the characteristics of the original master tape, I could now enjoy music without the drawbacks of black vinyl.

VINYL VERDICT?

The first project I worked on that became a Compact Disc was Donald Fagen's Nighrfly album. I couldn't wait to get the CD in my hot little hands and compare it with the original mixes. When the CD arrived, I ran to my audio system and threw the CD into my player. After about 30 seconds I was ready to throw in the towel. The CD didn't sound anything like the final mixes. Was I wrong about digital audio? Was the Compact Disc truly inferior to the vinyl disc that it was to replace?

I started doing some checking with the mastering facility where we mastered the album. Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk in New York told me that the record company never asked for the 1610 digital master that we'd made. Instead, they had requested a 30 ips half-inch analog tape copy of our digital mixes. They then made the CD master from this analog copy. No wonder my CD didn't sound like the original mixes. After we raised enough hell, new CD masters were prepared and new CDs were pressed. I compared the new one to the original mixes. It matched perfectly. Whew!

This was in late 1982. I figured that there was a necessary learning curve for the record companies to get their act together and realize that digital audio Compact Discs should not be made from second or third generation analog tape copies. Isn't nine years enough time?

AJA-TA

In 1982, Donald Fagen, Gary Katz and myself gathered up all of the original Steely Dan tapes (15 ips analog) and transferred them to digital format so that they would not deteriorate any further. This was in anticipation of catalog re-release in the new Compact Disc format. The first two albums to be released on CD were Aja and Gaucho. I listened to the CDs and they were fine.

Mobile Fidelity is licensed to produce gold plated CDs of Aja and Gaucho. They called me up to ask me if I liked the sound of their pressings. I listened to them and compared them to the CDs from MCA. I figured that the only difference I would hear would be the difference between the gold plating and the aluminum plating on the stock CD. I was shocked! They sounded completely different. The gold ones sounded worse. The gold Gaucho CD was even a different speed, about a quarter tone sharper than the original CD from MCA.

A writer I know called me to ask if I heard any difference between the stock CDs and the gold CDs. I told him what I found. He said that he didn't hear any difference. The lightbulb went on in my thought balloon! The stock CDs that I had were produced seven years ago, and the ones that my friend used were just purchased at Tower Records. I jumped in my car and zipped over to the nearest record store and purchased new copies of the CDs in question. He was right, the new stock CDs sounded exactly like the gold CDs, including the pitch shift on the Gaucho CD.

The time we spent transferring all of the original masters was wasted. The record company in their infinite wisdom decided that when they needed new 1630 CD masters to send to the CD plant, that it would be better to use the EQ'd analog copy that had been sitting around for fifteen years instead of the digital tapes that we supplied to them nine years ago for just this purpose. And on top of everything else, they couldn't even make sure that the analog machine that played back the Gaucho tape was going the right speed.

I guess this is all just a part of a grander scheme - make all of the CDs sound worse and worse until we can't tell the difference between Compact Discs and the new Digital Compact Cassette that the record companies are pushing. I went to my storage locker and found all of my old vinyl LPs. I haven't thrown my turntable away yet either. Maybe the clicks and pops aren't quite so bad after all.

ta240

Major Contributor
.................. Maybe the clicks and pops aren't quite so bad after all.

What do people do with their records to make them click and pop so much? Mine, that were well cared for, don't do that.
And complaints about that stupid Paradigm PW-Link that popped/clicked between tracks, right at the most silent time, were dismissed as silly because it 'was still amazing'. :p

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Great stories but they make me so angry to hear how little understanding some of the owners/ custodians of these priceless masters have.

Newman

Major Contributor
I thought Roger Russell has principal credit as inventor of the compact disc?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess for the most part so has his inventions. Yea I know, there's still a lot of people who love the stuff.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/11/lou-ottens-inventor-of-the-cassette-tape-dies-aged-94
Note:
"Ottens, who died on Saturday, had little patience with the renewed popularity of the cassette tape – or even vinyl.
“Nothing can match the sound of the CD,” he had told the Dutch newspaper NRC Handelsblad. “It is absolutely noise and rumble-free. That never worked with tape … I have made a lot of record players and I know that the distortion with vinyl is much higher. I think people mainly hear what they want to hear.” "

And yea - I know - what would you expect from the guy that invented the CD.

But I keep hearing Roger Nichols in the back of my head; from his book:
https://www.alfred.com/the-roger-nichols-recording-method/p/00-40830/

"Snap, Crackle, and Pop Music

By Roger Nichols

I originally got involved in recording music because I hated clicks and pops on records. I figured that the only way that I was going to get good quality recordings to play was to record them myself. I could then bring home two-track 15 ips copies to play on my stereo. Much better than the Rice Crispy sound of vinyl LPs.

When the Compact Disc became a reality, I was beside myself. I was also close by the side of any record company exec who could get me any discs to play on my new found CD player. Since CDs preserved all the characteristics of the original master tape, I could now enjoy music without the drawbacks of black vinyl.

VINYL VERDICT?

The first project I worked on that became a Compact Disc was Donald Fagen's Nighrfly album. I couldn't wait to get the CD in my hot little hands and compare it with the original mixes. When the CD arrived, I ran to my audio system and threw the CD into my player. After about 30 seconds I was ready to throw in the towel. The CD didn't sound anything like the final mixes. Was I wrong about digital audio? Was the Compact Disc truly inferior to the vinyl disc that it was to replace?

I started doing some checking with the mastering facility where we mastered the album. Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk in New York told me that the record company never asked for the 1610 digital master that we'd made. Instead, they had requested a 30 ips half-inch analog tape copy of our digital mixes. They then made the CD master from this analog copy. No wonder my CD didn't sound like the original mixes. After we raised enough hell, new CD masters were prepared and new CDs were pressed. I compared the new one to the original mixes. It matched perfectly. Whew!

This was in late 1982. I figured that there was a necessary learning curve for the record companies to get their act together and realize that digital audio Compact Discs should not be made from second or third generation analog tape copies. Isn't nine years enough time?

AJA-TA

In 1982, Donald Fagen, Gary Katz and myself gathered up all of the original Steely Dan tapes (15 ips analog) and transferred them to digital format so that they would not deteriorate any further. This was in anticipation of catalog re-release in the new Compact Disc format. The first two albums to be released on CD were Aja and Gaucho. I listened to the CDs and they were fine.

Mobile Fidelity is licensed to produce gold plated CDs of Aja and Gaucho. They called me up to ask me if I liked the sound of their pressings. I listened to them and compared them to the CDs from MCA. I figured that the only difference I would hear would be the difference between the gold plating and the aluminum plating on the stock CD. I was shocked! They sounded completely different. The gold ones sounded worse. The gold Gaucho CD was even a different speed, about a quarter tone sharper than the original CD from MCA.

A writer I know called me to ask if I heard any difference between the stock CDs and the gold CDs. I told him what I found. He said that he didn't hear any difference. The lightbulb went on in my thought balloon! The stock CDs that I had were produced seven years ago, and the ones that my friend used were just purchased at Tower Records. I jumped in my car and zipped over to the nearest record store and purchased new copies of the CDs in question. He was right, the new stock CDs sounded exactly like the gold CDs, including the pitch shift on the Gaucho CD.

The time we spent transferring all of the original masters was wasted. The record company in their infinite wisdom decided that when they needed new 1630 CD masters to send to the CD plant, that it would be better to use the EQ'd analog copy that had been sitting around for fifteen years instead of the digital tapes that we supplied to them nine years ago for just this purpose. And on top of everything else, they couldn't even make sure that the analog machine that played back the Gaucho tape was going the right speed.

I guess this is all just a part of a grander scheme - make all of the CDs sound worse and worse until we can't tell the difference between Compact Discs and the new Digital Compact Cassette that the record companies are pushing. I went to my storage locker and found all of my old vinyl LPs. I haven't thrown my turntable away yet either. Maybe the clicks and pops aren't quite so bad after all.
Roger Nichols did finally get a chance to remaster the Steely Dan catalog using the digital reels he prepared in 1982, and then remaster it again in 1999-2000 using new 24/192 transfers. IMO, the best sounding discs were his last attempt. These are the current masterings still in stores/online. They easily have the best cover art and packaging of all the CD pressings, too. They are not “brickwalled” although do have the levels juiced a bit. RIP Roger.

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the Steve Hoffman forum, here is a list of the Steely Dan mastering campaigns with further comments from my listening. I’ve heard a lot of these masterings and the latest ones from 1999-2000 (which are the ones currently in print) are best. Probably second best are the first run CD’s from 1984-85. The Steve Hoffman discs from 1987 are also good. None of the masterings sound bad, contrary to Roger Nichols’ article.

1982-Steely Dan tapes transferred to digital by Roger Nichols, Gary Katz, and Donald Fagen. The medium used is 2” digital reel to reel, sampled at 16/44.1 using a Sony PCM 1610.
1984-First Japan for US CDs released (matrix codes 37xxx)
1985-US made CDs released (matrix codes 37xxx)
1987-Artwork for the CDs changed to plaid back; new masterings from original analog master tapes instead of the digital tapes prepared in 1982 (Matrix codes 31xxx on packaging and on the rim of the disc). Aja and Katy Lied masterings are by Steve Hoffman, others by different MCA staff engineers.
1991-Roger Nichols complains that incorrect masters have been used; the packaging of the CDs remain the same (plaid back) but original mastering is reinstated (the matrix code 37xxxx is now on all the discs); a brand new inferior mastering of Aja is released. All reissued discs contain “newly remastered by the artist” stickers on the plastic wrap.
1993-Citizen Steely Dan released with Glen Meadows mastering, from the original analog tapes. CEDAR was used on the fades of these transfers.
1998-2000-New remasters released, prepared by Roger Nichols from high resolution 24/192 digital transfers from the original analog tapes. Nichols claims that due to oxide shedding, these transfers sound worse that the 1982 16/44.1 transfers, but my ears tell me otherwise. Sonic Solutions NoNoise or CEDAR was used on the fades of these transfers as there is absolutely no hiss. However, the technology was used deftly as no adverse artifacts are audible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom