• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

lots speaker measurment diffrence(for room correction) with omnidirectional microphone and silicon ear from minidisp hear

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I always thought there is something not correct in room measurment and i thought it is maybe because ears do not hear omnidirectional. so i bought the minidsp ears they named it ears (in front stand H.E.A.R.S). I do measure at same positions. the result maybe explain wy room curves have a falling slope for speakers . I was really shocked about the much diffrent result. And when i do the speaker corrections with the ears results after longer tests i always notice the correction with ears sound much more real in compare to omnidirectional microphone. the brain try to correct to a good sound, this can hear when reduce high freq and after some minutes hearing set it to neutral. then it seem highs are more less that neutral setting for some time. so it seem logical do room correction that make more linear for ears direction to sound better and not for omnidirectional microphones. omni mirophone tell me that i need only reduce 90 and 170 hz around 8 db and boost 450 hz 7 db should be good. but it sound very worse and do ear pain after longer hear. minidsp ears tell me that i have too few mids which is right and i hear this in headphone compares. increase mids (450 hz not so much as omni measure show) and reduce the 8.2 khz boost al littel at 10 khz is important and i do also on my self made fun hear eq corrections.

The reduction above 10 khz i think too is in in speakers in compare to headphones. but i am not sure if i can trust the values above 10 khz. maybe others or @amirm can try with a headphone measure system try measure a speaker. I think i need a 3d print do of my ears and put it on my omnidirectional measure microphone. :Dbut currently i am happen with the sound enhancement
the microphone and hrtf correction i do is in the minidsp ears called HPN files. this come closest what i hear. in the ears manual stand this

4.4 HEADPHONE MEASUREMENT COMPENSATION (“HPN”)
The HPN compensation is similar in intent to the compensation used in other published measurements. We have
also tailored it for a simplified headphone EQ target, as shown in Figure 14. Note however that for headphone
EQ we now recommend the HEQ compensation

the HEQ show the speakers have even more high boosts. thats too much mid/ high level. so correction depend on HEQ to linear sound too dull. but HPN fit very good. HPN on headphones and correct linear sound too bright. there is also a in ear curve for ears but this sound only for in ears good when correct them to linear

here is compare of measure. I measure both same distance around 70 cm and position. in omni directional is good to let look speaker FR nicer and diffrence between speaker are less.

this is kali LP6 1 and focal alpha 65 evo.

compare with ear

kali focal compare ears.jpg

this is with omnidirectional microphone

kali focal omnidirectional.jpg

dasdoing

Major Contributor
that's not how it works. if a perfect white noise existed in nature it would meassure flat on a perfect omni mic, but have a peak with the ears thing.
those ears things were not build in order to simulate our hearing, but in order to compare headphones. a compensation curve for it's error is than used

OP
B

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The ear thing explain wy hearing curve have a fall to high freq, seem because when a speaker is in stereo triangle the high freqs are boost because of ear auricle. you can see measure in this post https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...why-mono-is-better.21681/page-28#post-1251089 when have the speaker in middle and measure with the ear thing there get not the high boost . seem the diffrence of the measure at stereo angle degree and 0 degree is the curve to correct. it is simular a high shelf filter 1.5 khz -2 db. at least with this i hear no diffrence between my recorded guitar amp impulses on my stereo system in compare to the mono guitar amp.

I need admit the holy gral to the best sound it is also not measure with ear thing . Because the most problem on room correction seem the worse influence to the transients from the EQ when need high Q filters. and all speaker correction software use High Q filters to filter room modes. see here the burst with all the lots eq correction it use at 160 hz. it get even more worse because dirac use left and right independent EQ . the EQ did not only phase shift, it changes the peaks and valleys of the constant 160 hz frequency alot see here

burst dirac.jpg

without any EQ the burst of focal alpha 65 evo look as this and nice

burst noeq.jpg

Without EQ sound even more worse and boomy in my room. I need an EQ. I hear the best solution is to use gentle EQ with low Q . maybe you say this is only a little and can not hear much. but try it out it give huge diffrence. bring me the clarity i miss before and the boomy sound is gone. I use this EQ settings. the high boost i use because i have my speakers not much rotate inside so the high freq loss is on tweeter. it depend on how can hear. when not can hear ITD i think there is no problem to use high Q EQ. It sound also very simular to the headphones i have measure .

room eq.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom