• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lost in the jungle of suitable AVRs

OP
D

digitech1

guys not sure if this is also the right thread for my question, but seeing the below picture I am running freq response tests for L front, R front and both at the same time. Can somebody explain to me why I have that dip at 60hz when both at the same time keep playing music when each single line does not show any frequency that could amplify itself?!

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-06 um 18.22.59.PNG
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-06 um 18.22.59.PNG
    554.6 KB · Views: 97

Martin0312

Hi everbody,

this is my first post so let me say Hi to everbody reading this thread. Appreciate your input very much as I am kinda desperate looking for a viable solution for me.

I bought myself some proper Hifi Speakers (german, https://www.quadral.com/en/product-category/loudspeaker/platinum-plus-en/) to use in my living room (setup is as attached) connected to a Pioneer VSX-924 Hifi Speaker in a 5.1 setup with sub. My main use case is actually watching Movies and my plan is to upgrade to Dolby Atmos setup with indirect speakers (so no real atmos but just virtually) as I dont wanna but speakers on my ceiling due to the fact its a wooden ceiling and rented house.

10-20 percent is music streaming, mostly Tidal or Spotify, I plan on using a Playstation 5 soon but figured anyway that there is no suitable AVR for me where I could hook up the PS5 due to the HDMI 2.1 bug affecting Denon and Marantz receivers and probably others as well. I wouldnt mind just putting the PS5 into my TV (LG CX) and use eARC for my Audio.

Anyway my VSX-924 has way tooo less power to fire my speakers and also the measuring system (MCACC) is far from what Dirac or Audyssey XT32 are capable of, so I am not happy at all with my home system at this point in time. The room itself is very well balanced, so not alot reflections although not perfect, but hey...what is even perfect...

Due to my above described requirements I was looking at the following AVRs and then was reading up on the Reviews of the mentioned ones here and I just dont know what to go for or if I just need to wait 6month to a year until something proper comes out.

My budget for would allow up to 5k$ and so far I was planning to go for a full amplifier. My considerations are Denon AVR-X4700H, Denon AVR-X6700H, NAD T-778 and thats actually it - as I have found nothing that comes close to the above. First I was considering Arcam AVR20 as well but found too many complaints about the SW and the device itself. NAD T-778 got a - well - not so good review on that site here.

Is there any recommendation from you guys here? Anything that is worth considering? Shall I split my full amplifier into pre-amp and amp? I really appreciate any input that makes me think...;)

Thank you
Phil
Is there any negative to connecting the PS5 direct to the TV and just using eARC for the audio to “an AVR/pre-pro” that supports eARC? It should still be able to get you atmos? Also I read somewhere thT input lag may be an issue when outputting audio via optical from TV when gaming?

OP
D

digitech1

Is there any negative to connecting the PS5 direct to the TV and just using eARC for the audio to “an AVR/pre-pro” that supports eARC? It should still be able to get you atmos? Also I read somewhere thT input lag may be an issue when outputting audio via optical from TV when gaming?

I am having the same situation. You can plug it into the tv and use eARC however some TVs dont process DTS anymore, so you would give out PCM to your AVR and then use emulators like Auro-3D or NeuralX to emulate Atmos for instance.

Martin0312

I am having the same situation. You can plug it into the tv and use eARC however some TVs dont process DTS anymore, so you would give out PCM to your AVR and then use emulators like Auro-3D or NeuralX to emulate Atmos for instance.
I see. Well I don’t need atmos really, I won’t be using the Ps5 as a movie player, just for the games. This might open up my options getting an AVR without having to limit options to a 2.1 HDMI unit.

anish

Forum Donor
guys not sure if this is also the right thread for my question, but seeing the below picture I am running freq response tests for L front, R front and both at the same time. Can somebody explain to me why I have that dip at 60hz when both at the same time keep playing music when each single line does not show any frequency that could amplify itself?!
I am not sure whether this got sorted out. I had a similar issue around 100-110Hz and it was resultant of 1st reflections from hard floor cancelling out (when L+R played together, individually channels looked good). I placed a large (2m x 2.9m) rug in the floor and it completely eliminated the issue.

Top Bottom