• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lost in the jungle of suitable AVRs

witchdoctor

Congratulations on your new Denon. One nice thing about Crutchfeild is their return policy. IDK why to buy a receiver and then not use its amps. It seems like that is a waste. If you don't need the amps you could save around $2K and just get a pre/pro.

Golfx

Forum Donor
You are right it does seem like a waste. But I tried to find an AVP with as good mathematical accoustics as the AVR 8500 and could find none. That AVR’s tested best numbers resulted from the internal amps being disconnected before measurements were taken. Hence if all the internal amps are disconnected then likely the results will be the best numbers I could hope for. I also considered the yet to be available Anthem AVM90. But it is delayed again (2nd to 3rd time hmmm) and will start at $7000.00. I do believe it’s improved audio section “could” match the Denon’s but as PENG pointed out it will likely have reliability/bug problems early on. Trinnov, lyngdorf and Bryston all come with good reputations (but no tested measurements) and start at $16000.00 and up. So, $5500.00 for the Denon a110 with a likely guarantee of being the best mathematical accoustics I could find—seems reasonable to me.

witchdoctor

You are in a good situation with Crutchfield. You can try that Denon out for a month, send it back then try the Anthem AVM 70 out for a month and decide which to keep, all good. :)

Golfx

Forum Donor
Well thank you. Was considering that very scenario. I will likely keep the Denon until late summer or longer. I’m still intrigued by the Anthem AVM90. I will watch for Gene’s or Amir’s test numbers first. If none I will order from Crutchfield and have it sent to Amir for testing. If it tests poorly I will just return it and keep the Denon until “the” right prepro shows up.

witchdoctor

Well thank you. Was considering that very scenario. I will likely keep the Denon until late summer or longer. I’m still intrigued by the Anthem AVM90. I will watch for Gene’s or Amir’s test numbers first. If none I will order from Crutchfield and have it sent to Amir for testing. If it tests poorly I will just return it and keep the Denon until “the” right prepro shows up.

That's what keeps us interested in this hobby. So many trade offs re: features, price, quality, etc. I am thinking of just visiting a local dealer to audition the Anthem processors when they come out.

OP
D

digitech1

Hey everbody, the denon is setup, atmos virtual height speakers are wired and all of that so that I can find out that my subwoofer is broken. I am now willing to invest in a proper (or two?) subwoofer for my room. The thing is - the current one is behind the couch and its downfiring. now I am thinking to put one on my front lowboard (that you can see in the first post) which is front firing - would you recommend going for two? Another one behind my couch again - downfiring?

always happy for your opinions/input

witchdoctor

I would start with one sub and get it dialed in. Two subs will help smooth out bass response but try one first so you can compare.

OP
D

digitech1

I would start with one sub and get it dialed in. Two subs will help smooth out bass response but try one first so you can compare.

which one? Front firing on my lowbord in the front or down fired behind the couch?

witchdoctor

which one? Front firing on my lowbord in the front or down fired behind the couch?

I would try the Sunfire SDS, it has a front firing port and a down firing passive radiator. For the price of one 12 inch sub you can get two 8 inchers on sale. As for placement place the subwoofer in your listening position. Then go listen around the room for where the bass sounds best, that is where to place your subwoofer. It might be a spot you haven't even considered yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunfire-SDS8...=1&keywords=sunfire+sds&qid=1607904317&sr=8-3

OP
D

digitech1

Thanks, to not get me wrong. its my living rooms and there is a female person with me, so placing a sub anywhere will not work :D I only have two choices: On my lowboard next to the center and behind my couch where my current one was placed. Thats why I was thinking either two or one sub in exactly these positions. I cant place a downfire sub obv on my lowboard, any placing a front firing sub behind my couch doesnt make sense to me either, so I guess is it a good idea to combine both models or go with downfiring only (12inch) or preferably front firing only?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use JBL CRV speakers for height channels in the man cave, they are shaped to fit right between the wall and ceiling:

These look great if they could be attached to the ceiling on their flat end and face toward the seats? Maybe with an Omnimount?

Edit: -10 dB at 80 Hz, nevermind. Would struggle to meet a subwoofer crossover.

Webninja

Forum Donor
Two Rythmik subs would be great, but they might be too expensive when factoring in shipping to EU. Erin’s Audio Corner tested a few subs, you can read reviews - https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/ (he’s also active on this forum - hardisj). Data-bass is a good site to check too. I think Rythmik, SVS, JTR, Monoprice, and I’m sure I’m forgetting some, all make excellent subs.

Vivek

Forum Donor
I will vote for SVS Pb 2000 for your setup. They are pretty small, easy to configure and go decently low. I think they won the EISA award of the year as well.
I like them and have 2 of them .-)

witchdoctor

These look great if they could be attached to the ceiling on their flat end and face toward the seats? Maybe with an Omnimount?

Edit: -10 dB at 80 Hz, nevermind. Would struggle to meet a subwoofer crossover.
That's a good idea. The speakers come with mounts and you could do that easily. I chose a corner mount, you would use a horizontal mount on the ceiling. Here is a link to the manual with instructions. You can get them on Amazon and deals come up on Ebay all the time. The mounting hardware comes with the speaker and if you are buying them off E bay just double check with the seller that they are including the mounts. Here is a link to the manual, check page 3:

https://jblpro.com/en/site_elements/crv-owner-s-manual

Last edited:

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
Does anyone have any experience with Audio Control based in WA? Specifically their home theater pre/pros?

OP
D

digitech1

Hey guys,

I wanted to give you an update on my home cinema setup.

What happened so far: I got the Denon X8500H which really seems to be a superb receiver, first thought about using an external amp for my fronts but with my current 5.2.2 setup I decided against because it should be sufficient.

I got myself two subs (SVS sb-200 pro) and used audyssey xt32 to equalize my frequency responses and used the subs DSP that has a parametric EQ to level a couple of simple room modes I checked with REW and UMIK-1 mic.

In order to minimally optimize my room acoustic, I ordered myself some bass traps, which effectively work from 80-130 hz and so far placed them in my corners of the room. I wanted to show you the full size of the room in the pictures attached and where I placed the bass traps. The FR and SBR speaker is now directly in front of the trap, would you recommend placing it somewhere else per se or what is you professional feedback on the current situation?

thanks guys and happy new year by the way

Attachments

• IMG_3897.jpg
    IMG_3897.jpg
    985.8 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_3899.jpg
    IMG_3899.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3898.jpg
    IMG_3898.jpg
    980.9 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_3900.jpg
    IMG_3900.jpg
    907.3 KB · Views: 191

Vivek

Forum Donor
Hey guys,

I wanted to give you an update on my home cinema setup.

What happened so far: I got the Denon X8500H which really seems to be a superb receiver, first thought about using an external amp for my fronts but with my current 5.2.2 setup I decided against because it should be sufficient.

I got myself two subs (SVS sb-200 pro) and used audyssey xt32 to equalize my frequency responses and used the subs DSP that has a parametric EQ to level a couple of simple room modes I checked with REW and UMIK-1 mic.

In order to minimally optimize my room acoustic, I ordered myself some bass traps, which effectively work from 80-130 hz and so far placed them in my corners of the room. I wanted to show you the full size of the room in the pictures attached and where I placed the bass traps. The FR and SBR speaker is now directly in front of the trap, would you recommend placing it somewhere else per se or what is you professional feedback on the current situation?

thanks guys and happy new year by the way

Vivek

Forum Donor
Those subs look fantastic. I would prefer them to be on the ground to prevent any vibrations. Am working on my room correction and room acoustics myself and will watch this thread intently

Top Bottom