• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lost in choosing a SMSL or TOPPING DAC

Toph17

Goodnight all.
Very new on the forum, please excuse my bad translation because I am French. I often read your forum which is well known here and the superb tests which are carried out.
I'm lost in choosing a DAC from these two brands, there are so many references. Some could help me?

It would be for a typical hi-fi listening.
Equipment, klipsch rf82mk2 columns and crown xli-1500 amplifier.

I already have a Douk Audio P1 and a source selector that allows me to switch either to my integrated HC or to the Douk. I wonder if I can have better in DAC in a budget of 300€ max.

xeizo

As DAC:s from both of these brands measures near perfect from 150€ and upwards you can pick the one with the features to like the most, SMSL has remotes that works from longer distances, may be the biggest difference. And if your Crown has Balanced input you may want a model with balanced out.

OP
T

Toph17

As DAC:s from both of these brands measures near perfect from 150€ and upwards you can pick the one with the features to like the most, SMSL has remotes that works from longer distances, may be the biggest difference. And if your Crown has Balanced input you may want a model with balanced out.

Thank you for your reply. Actually, my big question is, will it be any better than my current Douk Audio P1 with tubes? I don't need a headphone jack and indeed my power amp has balanced XLR inputs. I hesitate a lot between the Topping dx3 pro+ or the SMSL DO100.

xeizo

It's hard to predict if you will notice any difference, one has to compare oneself, I saw one comment on Amazon saying it did sound better on rca in but who knows?

wacomme

My DO100 died on me, but I’m replacing it with the same dac. I thought of replacing it with Topping, specially the E70 to match my L70, but I can’t justify the $150 difference in price. I just got a bad apple with the first DO100, a rare occurrence that hopefully won’t be repeated.

raif71

Major Contributor
Speaking of lost... c'est le sport :facepalm:
:)
world cup aside, I have both smsl and topping dacs. smsl (m500, m400,) topping (e30, d10, d10s, d10b, d30 pro). I would say either brand is fine.

OP
T

Toph17

My DO100 died on me, but I’m replacing it with the same dac. I thought of replacing it with Topping, specially the E70 to match my L70, but I can’t justify the $150 difference in price. I just got a bad apple with the first DO100, a rare occurrence that hopefully won’t be repeated.

Not very reassuring. It died after how long of use? If not, how is the menu navigation level and can it be used as a DAC alone?

wacomme

Not very reassuring. It died after how long of use? If not, how is the menu navigation level and can it be used as a DAC alone?
It died after four months of use. I’m not happy about it, but . . .

I don’t understand your second question.

Bleib

Major Contributor
I prefer SMSL for 2 reasons:
The remote is more responsive
The units turn things off when something else is used. For instance, use BT and USB is turned off. This seems to lead to the units running cooler too.

OP
T

Toph17

It died after four months of use. I’m not happy about it, but . . .

I don’t understand your second question.

Ah yes after 4 months!! In fact my other question was to know if the menu is simple and if it can be used as a DAC alone (without its preamp part). I just saw that there is a smsl C100 at a very interesting price. I have an Amazon gift voucher and this will do it for me at 39€! But I don't know what it's worth.

wacomme

Ah yes after 4 months!! In fact my other question was to know if the menu is simple and if it can be used as a DAC alone (without its preamp part). I just saw that there is a smsl C100 at a very interesting price. I have an Amazon gift voucher and this will do it for me at 39€! But I don't know what it's worth.
I bought the DO100 for the balanced inputs and outputs. If these aren’t necessary I’d buy a cheaper dac like the 10s or the new Topping 30. The DO100 also has a volume knob, not just the remote, which I like.

Top Bottom