• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Losing low end with wireless sub kit

doc2c

Hi everyone

I have a dual svs 12 in sealed subs hooked up to a demon 3500. I was running wires to both subs, but it was an ugly looking setup and our kittens were chewing on the long wire.

Long story short, I got the REL HT Air for the sub that sits across the room, leaving the other one sitting next to my tower speakers as wired.

When I run Audyssey 32 on my Denon receiver using the MultiEQ app, the pre and post calibration reaults show that there's a huge drop below 30hz. When running wired, I get a flat post calibration all the way to 20hz

Another peculiar thing is that it sets BOTH subs to the exact same distance, down to the inch of about 30ft, where we before they were 10 and 16ft. I understand the wireless one being set to 30ft, not the other one.

I have ran Audyssey several time, with similar results. Any thoughts on what's going on and what I can do. Amir's review didn't show any loss in frequency in the 20-30hz region for the wireless HT. Do I need to have both subs on wireless for it to work properly?

Thank you in advance

CBM

The wireless sub is delayed 20-30 ms and likely your getting a cancellation that's causing the drop. Try delaying the wired sub and see if it goes away.

OP
D

doc2c

The wireless sub is delayed 20-30 ms and likely your getting a cancellation that's causing the drop. Try delaying the wired sub and see if it goes away.
Isn't Audyssey already doing that, making the distance 30ft?

CBM

Maybe. But I had to adjust my delay to get a flat FR.

CBM

Yes. REW. I got the best response I could by moving the subs and adjusting the delay before running Audyssey.

GalZohar

Audessy delay tries to time align, but sometimes you get less cancellations after manually adjusting delays.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I have had this issue with a wireless Link for my subs.. The delay was horrendous .. Audyssey reported the subs were at 40 ft or so .. Physically they were at 10 ft/3 meters from the listening position.
I believe such this creates some issues for Audyssey. In any algorithm, there has to be case where incongruous input lead to erroneous results. I mean, mains at 10~15 feet yet sub at 40 feet could lead to wrong calculations, thus the results you had. It may be wise to revert to wired, like I did.

Peace

tusing

Audessey displays curves on a "per-speaker" basis. It does not display your curve editor, frequency response, or frequency correction results as a "summation" of all speakers - it only shows the per-speaker contribution.

As such, you're probably seeing a drop - like I did - because your speakers cannot reach below 30Hz even with EQ. But, if you switch the active speaker to the subwoofer, you should see a reasonable pre- and post-correction curve.

I'm running a KEF KC62 in wireless mode and this is what my response looks like, pre-correction:

B61A97DF-8B8C-4C23-B207-3EE8603BBA18.png

Post correction is basically the same but smoothed out.

Bass sounds fine and reaches low.

It's a shame Audessey doesn't offer a curve summation editor in the app, though.

Top Bottom