• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loopback measurement of RME ADI-2 PRO FS (Black Edition)

OP
vitalii427

vitalii427

Forum Donor
11.png

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What happens if we take the parallel thing to an extreme? Add 12,18, 24 channels of a pro interface? Would it lower distortion and noise floor to APx555 levels?

Example: 8 channels per Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen for 500usd each. They can be Daisy chained. Say we use 3 for 1.500usd and add all 24 channels, how would it measure?
https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-18i20-Audio-Interface/dp/B018W7BW36/

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
What happens if we take the parallel thing to an extreme? Add 12,18, 24 channels of a pro interface? Would it lower distortion and noise floor to APx555 levels?

Example: 8 channels per Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen for 500usd each. They can be Daisy chained. Say we use 3 for 1.500usd and add all 24 channels, how would it measure?
Noise should keep going down distortion will not. You also may start running into issues with the input impedance dropping

Last edited:

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Whatever level of improvement you get by going to 1 signal vs averaging 4 signals, you should be able to get again by averaging 16 signals and so on. The square root rules, at least in theory and on random noise but, of course, there can be a lot of non-random stuff sneaking in too...

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If you want to use the RME as a measurement device, you can get higher performance by either using the balanced phone output, either directly summing the XLR outputs by using Y cables in mono mode (I didn't try this later one, but @MC_RME said that's how he's proceeding himself).

IMHO the correct sentence should have been:... you can get higher performance by either using the balanced phone output, or directly summing the XLR outputs by using Y cables into mono mode.

Just to avoid confusion.

And March is right, THD usually stays at the worst one of the multiple channels, while noise goes down a lot. The hardware channel averaging is quite handy as you immediately get valid numbers like noise floor RMS etc. And you can still FFT average to go more deep again...

OP
vitalii427

vitalii427

Forum Donor
When locked to the FFT length you should be able to use the rectangular window to eliminate any spreading. Otherwise better using Blackman-Harris 7 or Dolph-Chebyshev 200 than Hann.
Thanks!

exaudio

Forum Donor
IMHO the correct sentence should have been:... you can get higher performance by either using the balanced phone output, or directly summing the XLR outputs by using Y cables into mono mode.

Just to avoid confusion.

And March is right, THD usually stays at the worst one of the multiple channels, while noise goes down a lot. The hardware channel averaging is quite handy as you immediately get valid numbers like noise floor RMS etc. And you can still FFT average to go more deep again...

@Rja4000, @MC_RME, @March Audio, I'm trying to understand your setup for summing/averaging measurements from multiple channels. I assume the cabling looks something like this:

y-cable-loopback2.png

Do I have that right? Also, @MC_RME mentioned setting the ADI-2 Pro in mono mode. I'm assuming that by recording in mono the device mixes/sums the two input channels down to one (after the conversion to digital?). And @March Audio must be able to do that with his Motu so that all 8 channels are mixed down to one? If my ADC doesn't have a mono mode is there a way to get REW's RTA tool to average the input from two channels?

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
The quoted sentence refers to the output mono summing by using a simple 2 x XLR F to 1 x XLR M. This works a treat with RME devices, most probably many others as well, but for these I can't guarantee it. On the input side your drawing is correct and would use a 1 x XLR F to 2 x XLR M. Those cables are available online at low prices. The two input signals then must be summed and reduced in level by 6 dB. In the ADI-2 Pro the input option 'M/S Processing' does that, so the software can be used on input channel 1 without further modifications.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those cables are available online at low prices.
I use those cables
https://www.cordial-cables.com/en/products/cfy-fmm
https://www.cordial-cables.com/en/products/cfy-mff
Wiring is described.

On the DAC side, this is one way to do.

You average both channels of one of the DAC outputs.
The RME ADI-2 pro has 2 stereo DAC outputs.
(The RME ADI-2 DAC has 1)

The other way is to use front-panel balanced phone outputs.
Each channel (L R) is then a sum of that channel from both stereo DAC outputs.
The benefit is that you may push the level to +28dBu.
The drawback is that you don't have +4dBu, +19dBu and +24dBu ranges available.
Just +13dBu (low gain) and +28dBu (High gain).

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The other way is to use front-panel balanced phone outputs.
Note that you can NOT directly sum the 2 balanced phone output channels by using an Y cable.
If you do, you'll get a message saying that the protection was activated to prevent a short on the output.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Use the Multi-channel mode (6 In 8 Out).

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just performed some measurements on the RME ADI-2 Pro fs in loopback mode for the various methods:

RME ADI-2 Pro fs Loopback @4Vrms
Output and input +19dBu range
Balanced Y Cable on both outputs (Main out)
Balanced Y Cable on both inputs and M/S mode

2020-01-18 13_14_34-SINAD RME 4V.png

SINAD = 112dB

RME ADI-2 Pro fs Loopback @2.5Vrms
Output and input +13dBu range
Balanced Y Cable on both outputs (Main out)
Balanced Y Cable on both inputs and M/S mode
2020-01-18 13_19_04-SINAD RME Main Sum 13dBu 0,75.png

SINAD = 114dB

RME ADI-2 Pro fs Loopback @2.5Vrms
Input +13dBu range
Output Balanced Phone mode - Low gain (+13dBu)
Balanced cables of both channels to each input
(So NO output sum)
RME input in M/S mode
2020-01-18 13_21_50-SINAD RME BalPh Stereo out 13dBu 0,75.png

SINAD = 115dB !

I also received today my Linear Audio Autoranger II

RME ADI-2 Pro fs Loopback through Autoranger II @4Vrms
Autoranger in 1V output mode
RME Output +19dBu range @4Vrms
RME Input +4dBu range
Balanced Y Cable on both outputs (Main out) to Autoranger Balanced in
Balanced Y Cable from Autoranger Balanced out to both RME balanced inputs and RME input in M/S mode
2020-01-18 13_11_14-SINAD ARII 4V.png

SINAD = 110dB
or 2dB loss vs direct RME loopback

RME ADI-2 Pro fs Loopback through Autoranger II @2.5Vrms
Autoranger in 1V output mode
RME Output +13dBu range @2.5Vrms
RME Input +13dBu range
Balanced Y Cable on both outputs (Main out) to Autoranger Balanced in
Balanced Y Cable from Autoranger Balanced out to both RME balanced inputs and RME input in M/S mode
2020-01-18 13_37_16-SINAD ARII Main Sum 13dBu 0,75.png

SINAD = 110dB

All this means the loopback SINAD for the Autoranger II alone should run somewhere between 112dB and 123dB...
Should be good enough to perform basic measurements on speaker amps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom