• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loopback Latency Testing

carat

I'm trying to get a reasonably accurate measurement of a DAC's latency. I Have the DAC on an input of my audio interface (MOTU UltraLite-Mk5). Then, in Audacity, with the DAC as the playback device and the audio interface as the recording device, I simultaneously play and record a click track. This gives me 58ms delay in the recording, but what are all the additional sources of latency I have to subtract to isolate the DAC?
  • Audacity's buffer length is set to 20ms with latency compensation disabled, so that's 20ms I need to subtract, right?
  • The latency of the UltraLite-Mk5 seems to be negligible (~3ms RTL or something at the settings I was using) but there's that.
  • What about the host interface. I set Audacity to WASAPI. How do I determine the latency of that?
  • Are there any other sources of latency I need to be mindful of in this loop?
Thanks.

Top Bottom