• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looks like Drop might be 'dropping' a HD800

Tup3x

so they call it HD8XX and it has a different driver etc.

can anyone comment on the measurements?

my opinion:
1 I don't like the dip at 1.5k
2 I don't trust them after what they did with HD58X - they announced one thing and released a completely different one. The original was based on HD660S/HD700 driver, it was clearly visible in the photos. By release time they changed quite a lot, it's much less impressive imo.

t4aujSUeRmGCAKav8KI5_8xx-fR-Copy-2.jpg

JcasHy9BQIG2DENpfdez_004.jpg

P4cc49VkQjuLU1rcyeU0_8XX-FR-1-copy.jpg

CIFFUkv2SHGzW9WGdIoj_002.jpg
Looks good up to 1kHz and the rest doesn't make sense.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not if you are going to EQ both anyway. It could be interesting for US residents that want to buy an HD800S near the end of 2021 and don't own the HD800(S) yet but are thinking about it or saving up for one.

I checked the prices just now, and it seems to me like it the Drop version might turn out significantly cheaper here in Norway as well, even including shipping and Norwegian VAT. The cheapest online prices in Germany/the EU are about 390 euro cheaper than in Norway, so the difference isn't as big there.

The thing holding me back is warranty issues though. Norway has really tough warranty laws, whereas with Drop you're on your own. Do the Drop Sennheisers have any history of malfunctioning, or mostly not?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, it depends on the country and it's import rules. Some may even be lucky and dodge taxes.

The Drop versions are made by Sennheiser. I expect the same build quality. Everything can break, this too is a matter of (bad)luck.
The foam Senheiser uses is crap though. Pads are screamingly expensive and need to be replaced every few years when used often.
You don't need Drop for that though. Haven't seen many reports of HD800(S) failing catastrophically when handled with normal care. I am sure though that some broken HD800 exist. It isn't like electronics. Those can have many reasons to fail.

edahl

I checked the prices just now, and it seems to me like it the Drop version might turn out significantly cheaper here in Norway as well, even including shipping and Norwegian VAT. The cheapest online prices in Germany/the EU are about 390 euro cheaper than in Norway, so the difference isn't as big there.

The thing holding me back is warranty issues though. Norway has really tough warranty laws, whereas with Drop you're on your own. Do the Drop Sennheisers have any history of malfunctioning, or mostly not?
Also Norwegian here. Ordered last sunday for $1575. When VAT is applied in customs, the 8XX will total about $1375, and with the $200 drop credit it's looking like a pretty good deal to me. There's no balanced cable though, and I would still like more commentary on the 1.5 khz dip.

Like I've written elsewhere, I recently reported a problem with my two year old K7XX, and in lieu of replacement stock they immediately offered partial refunds in the form of money or store credit, or to fully refund it (though I have to return it). This leaves me unworried.

jfree77

Forum Donor
Why is everyone parroting the same nonsense about warranties? You get the same warranty with this that you do with other Senn products.

2 year warranty from Sennheiser, not Drop. It says right there on the product page.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is everyone parroting the same nonsense about warranties? You get the same warranty with this that you do with other Senn products.

2 year warranty from Sennheiser, not Drop. It says right there on the product page.

Yeah, but in Norway we are spoiled with 5 years, and when buying from a reputable shop they usually don't make any fuss if anything happens, as the warranty laws are well enforced. Getting warranties from the manufacturer isn't as safe I think, and more cumbersome if anything happens. It's good to hear that @edahl has had a good experience with Drop though, and from @solderdude that Sennheiser doesn't seem to have the same kind of quality issues that Hifiman is known for.

edahl

What I'm wondering is, with the HD 800S order already in, whether this is worth the wait. Having waited for the PS5 for getting close to a year, I'm getting good at waiting lol. To me whether or not it is worth it isn't just the price (I'd be glad to pay a bit more to get it now), but whether the improvements ultimately makes it an effectively "better" headphone.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Yes, but you cannot take the HD8XX to your local Sennheiser dealer or importer to have it fixed when it needs fixing.
It must go trough Drop. That is the difference.

leonidas

The little changes in the frequency curve can easily be eq‘d with the current offering. The big question is, will it have an effect on sound stage and/or overall tonality?

Can you return orders from Drop?

FulyenCurtz

Does anyone have any personal experience with Drop's customer service? I'm mostly concerned about how they handle warranties compared to other retailers.

edahl

Does these changes make the headphone flatter with respect to the diffuse field target? Kinda looks like it, and would ostensibly make a lot of sense for a "speaker like" headphone. Makes a bit more sense to me then.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'd be interested, minus the $1100 price tag. Don't have that kind of coin to drop on audio right now.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What is everyone's take on the distortion? The low end got less distortion so we can eq even more and enjoy the sub bass, the high end got a little more distortion, in your opinion is this change better or worse overall? JohnYang mentioned Ananda, maybe from frequency response point of view it is better, but what about sound stage that makes HD800 famous?

Regarding the warranty, I had very good experience with Drop warranty with all products I bought from them. I had bought a pair of HD800 pads from them, there are some wears on the pad and I wanted to change a new pair, they refunded the full price because there was no stock. I guess they don't want to bother with shipping fees because I live in NZ, but it was nice they took care of it and did not make me lose anything.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wonder if all this SENNHEISER move with DROP has something to do with them selling their consumer business. Boost sales to make that part of their company worth more.

dfuller

Major Contributor
What is everyone's take on the distortion? The low end got less distortion so we can eq even more and enjoy the sub bass, the high end got a little more distortion, in your opinion is this change better or worse overall?
The distortion increase in the high end is minimal. But... HD800s of any variety have never been basshead headphones anyway. None of the open back Sennheisers are.

Top Bottom