• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looks like Drop might be 'dropping' a HD800

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Marvin (SBAF guru) also measured the final version on EARS (with his own correction) compared with the HD800S.

index.php

Deeper 3kHz dip and treble level a bit lower.
Probably different pads judging from the padbounce difference seen in Jude's plots.
Bass extension does not seem to be improved as promised before.

Earlier impressions may not be valid any more.

edahl

My general impression is confusion, I think I'm sticking with my HEKse

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I overlaid the HD8XX a bit better than Jude did (on purpose ?) so the FR between the 2 is easier to evaluate.
HD8XX and HD8XX but level matched at 400Hz

HD8xx comp.jpg

Looks like the HD8XX has about 1dB more bass (30Hz) a bit more mids, less clarity (dip between 1 and 3 kHz) and a few dB less treble between 4kHz and 8kHz.

Last edited:

Takanaka

Forum Donor
FR doesn’t tell the whole story but it does look inferior to the HD800S, on the flip side THD might be lower.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is why I come here, quick takes on TOTL headphones after bar closing.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I overlaid the HD8XX a bit better than Jude did (on purpose ?) so the FR between the 2 is easier to evaluate.
HD8XX and HD8XX but level matched at 400Hz

View attachment 143068

Looks like the HD8XX has about 1dB more bass (30Hz) a bit more mids, less clarity (dip between 1 and 3 kHz) and a few dB less treble between 4kHz and 8kHz.
In other words, my new headphone sounds perfect. Thanks for the graphs.

VariousArtists

Well looks like Drop has stopped selling the 8XX to people outside US/Canada, so the discussion is getting a bit theoretical for the rest of us :)

edahl

Well looks like Drop has stopped selling the 8XX to people outside US/Canada, so the discussion is getting a bit theoretical for the rest of us :)
Seems to me like I can order it just fine.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just get Ananda and forget about these.
Yes I'd rather spend a day listening to the Ananda with a Khadas Tone Board on a JDS Atom amp, super combination. First time with the 880s when gaming I went pale realizing how big the sound stage is, but the Ananda was so much better out of the box for music. When I let the lady of the house hear that combo, the first thing she yelled was "Where's my checkbook!"

edahl

Seems like it's just an 800S with some tape though, making it a very good deal again, though you'll be voiding your warranty.

Attachments

• received_1002225190611973.jpeg
    received_1002225190611973.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 233

edahl

More than 100 people cancelled their pre-orders in 5 days, up to now, Both Sennheiser and Drop did not say anything. Something is happening
Drop has pretty arrogantly dismissed all running concerns about the direction of the tuning, and sent it off to mainly the most enthusiastic and subjective reviewers. Like, why was Zeos integral to its development? He's an entertainer almost exclusively.

Takanaka

Forum Donor
I hope they start selling the HD800S at the $1100 price mark now. :D

Takanaka

Forum Donor
Best deal in headphones next to H6se at $650?
You bet, still on the pricy side but you can’t beat that wide sound! I miss it severely after returning it months ago. :(

Svperstar

We're confident that the Drop + Sennheiser HD 8XX headphones will continue this tradition. Thanks for your support and helping make this product a reality.

Nice! I have been on the fence with the HD8XX for months. Last summer I got the Hifiman Arya and I already own the Audeze LCD-2. Like do I really need another ridiculous high end headphone? lol.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Nice! I have been on the fence with the HD8XX for months. Last summer I got the Hifiman Arya and I already own the Audeze LCD-2. Like do I really need another ridiculous high end headphone? lol.
You do because no headphones touch the HD800's Soundstage;)

Top Bottom