• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking to upgrade near-field studio monitors

fmessier6

Even cheap Presonus Temblor T10 will give you decent extension for EDM.

The Tremblor has awful reviews though, that's why I went with KRK. I am happy I bought a sub though because the bass of my Quested V2108 pales in comparison to the overall output and presence of the Neumann KH310 I had before these.

Despite that, I'm mostly using them without sub when I'm working.

fmessier6

Update #2

I guess there's no way around the fact that a 5" woofer just can't move enough air to really reproduce those lower frequencies. I'm having trouble mixing my kicks and sub sounds and I'm wondering which would be more effective; do I go through the somewhat difficult task of setting up a sub with my Geithain RL906 (I won't be able to afford a matching Geithain subwoofer), or buy a pair of budget monitors with 7 or 8" woofers (Adam or JBL perhaps) to switch over to while mixing to check the lows?

Did you already consider purchasing a good pair of cans?

Regarding monitors, the HS8 are relatively cheap (I owned them for seven years) and can deliver some solid bass, assuming your room acoustics aren't caca.

OP
U

unloren

3) in my opinion, if you really need more LF extension, you'll need a subwoofer due to simple fact that most of 2-way monitors have flat FR at -3 Db around 45Hz (JBL 308P mk2 and Adam A8X) and your 906 have -3Db at 50 Hz.

If you check the Geithain specs I think it shows 50 Hz at more like -5Db.

images.png

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think it shows 50 Hz at more like -5Db
Maybe.
That's why I prefer to measure what is going on.

By the way, did you try to use TT control? It controls amount of LF below 200 Hz if this manual is correct.

Anyway, I'm not sure that setting up another pair of big monitors in small room will make your task much easier compared to flexible DSP subwoofer, even "customer type". Dynaudio 9S is an example of small sealed box with hi-pass within decent budget (cheaper than Neumann).

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The KRK10 was an interesting purchase for sure.
It actually goes down to 30 Hz, has a nice auto standby function (resume takes from 3 to 5 seconds), and with a $10 footswitch I am able to bypass it.

For movies, volume on 3/10 shakes my room. Setting it on 7/10 would probably make EVERYTHING vibrate in my studio.

I never owned a sub so I'm not sure if this is normal, but I perceive a small delay between the moment I feel I should hear the bass and the actual bass output, I'd say a third of a second. Not sure if room acoustics are to blame here though.
Does the KRK has a digital (DSP) crossover? But even then a delay of more than 300 ms is insane. I'd rather think the sub triggers a room resonance which builds up slowly.

Top Bottom