• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking to upgrade Hales Revelation 5.1 system (Genelec?)

clintolsen

System
Hales Revelation Three (left/right)
Revelation Center
Revelation One (surround)

I purchased these speakers ca. 1999 and they've been great. After 20+ years of service, I thought I'd consider a possible upgrade. I regret never investing in a sub even though the Threes can easily go down to 30Hz. I am fine with going with smaller speakers especially since I'll get a sub this time.

Since I liked Hales' overall design philosophy, I've looked at his Theory Audio Design and Pro Audio Technology systems. After some auditioning, I'm not convinced Theory is a value upgrade for what I have now. Some of the Pro speakers sound good but they are either extremely large or very expensive (or both) in part because you must use their amplifiers (bi-amped or tri-amped) with software-controlled DSP crossovers in order to get the best results.

The dealer I've been working with also suggested Genelec. I've never considered active speakers before, but their principles are similar to Theory/Pro (software configurable, class D amps). I'm wondering whether these near/mid-field monitors will work really well as a general audio & home theater system like what I have now.

Although I still have to do a serious audition, I was contemplating:

L & R: 8351x2
C: 8341
LS & RS: 8331x2
SW: 7360x2

I do enjoy stereo listening, so I would like to steer more $$ toward the mains than the other speakers.

Does it seem like this would work? Would it represent a significant upgrade?

Top Bottom