• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking to purchase my "end game" amplifier.

aschen

End game? Bryston. They will repair it for you for free as you approach 80. With any luck you'll make it to 100 and it will still be functional or they will still service it for you for a reasonable price.

Many of the ASR budget favorites will have been bought, sold, out of business, or no longer supporting their 30 year old products. Not really an insult you pay for this luxury in the high end products.

stubaggs

Forum Donor
Greetings. I've been lurking for a bit on this great site and would like some advice.

I've been a fan of the "British hi-fi" stuff for about 20 years now. I've had good luck buying used Naim and Rega gear and getting it to sound well in typically smallish spaces.

As I approach my 60's, I'd have the ability to create a larger, dedicated listening space. I currently have 2 smaller systems in a bedroom and office.
System 1 is built around a Rega Brio R integrated amp, and system 2 is founded on a Naim NAC 72/NAP 140/HiCap separate set up.

My initial plan was to trade in the Brio for a higher end Rega integrated (Aethos...gently used) and power some Kef LS50s with a sub. (I'm also contemplating getting larger floorstanders after getting the new space set up. Sources will include a BlueSound Node streamer and Rega Planar 6 turntable. I've no interest in multi-channel and am looking for a 2 channel system that can slam loud rock and also play quiet jazz and acoustic music at lower levels.

Then I stumbled upon this site and find that you all are pulling the rug out from under my plans. I don't wish to throw money away on names (or Naims) but am willing to spend some $$ on a system that I can ride out my last couple of decades on the planet with.

I like the idea of using a modern integrated amp that is essentially two mono blocks in the same box with a well thought out pre-amp...hence my gravitation towards the Rega Aethos.

What say all of you?
Depending on your budget, for the amplifier Bryston may be an option. They have an integrated, excellent build quality and hence ability to be an 'end game' component (as implied by 20 year warranty).

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a review of Genelec's here you should read it since the amps are built in there is no iseue. I am considering them for my end game system.

I second this suggestion. The high end Genelecs are $10K and include the amplification. Either go with a digital source or pre-amp.

paddycrow

Forum Donor
End Game is a movie. With amplifiers, you pay a lot of money for incremental improvement. The law of diminishing return definitely applies.

I enjoy my Classe Delta Mono amps, but they are a budget buster.

Top Bottom