• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking to make RCA interconnects - Single or dual signal cable? Also wanting to make a phono cable too!

MrOneEyedBoh

I was wondering for an average listener, what would be the best cable to use for RCA interconnects? Ive read a lot of stuff on them over the last few days and once I decide to settle on one type of cable, I come across something else that sways me towards another. I know that each forum/website has its preferences on manufactures, but cant seem to find much info on cable type. Should I use a standard single core wire like say Mogami W2964/LV-61S? Or maybe a dual wire and twist them for the signal, such as Canare L-2T2S/Mogami w2549.

I plan on using Amp's ACPL or Rean's NYS373 RCA connectors. I also plan on soldering the shield on both sides ( versus leaving one off ) since my runs will be no more than 4' MAX ( More like 2-3' ).

My last request would be : A recommendation which cable to use for such a short run and one that has some/good flexibility.

OP
MrOneEyedBoh

MrOneEyedBoh

Use single core. Yes, solder the shield on both sides.
Thanks. With that being said, should I just go with one that is popular on Performance Audio ( thats where I plan on buying ), or do you have a suggestion? Are they generally all flexible or is there a property I should be looking for on data sheets to show/prove that to me?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are they generally all flexible or is there a property I should be looking for on data sheets to show/prove that to me?
The more conductors inside the less compliant they usually are. Just purchase a quality single core with full shield and that should be somewhat flexible. There is no spec that denotes flexibility/compliancy. Sometimes they will say something in the description if it is soft and compliant. But that's rare.

Get oxygen free copper if it is available as that will be a pure copper conductor. Don't bother with copper clad aluminum if it is offered.

OP
MrOneEyedBoh

MrOneEyedBoh

The more conductors inside the less compliant they usually are. Just purchase a quality single core with full shield and that should be somewhat flexible. There is no spec that denotes flexibility/compliancy. Sometimes they will say something in the description if it is soft and compliant. But that's rare.

Get oxygen free copper if it is available as that will be a pure copper conductor. Don't bother with copper clad aluminum if it is offered.
Thanks. I was merely asking about jacket make up. I.E. PVC etc

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh..., and remember to get a proper diameter cable to fit inside the RCA connector.

OP
MrOneEyedBoh

MrOneEyedBoh

Oh..., and remember to get a proper diameter cable to fit inside the RCA connector.
Yes, the diameter of the possible cables are:
Canare LV-61S - .240" OD
Mogami W2964- .190" OD

Acceptable RCA plug ranges are:
Amp ACPL- Cable O.D. of 0.118" to 0.275"
Rean NYS373- Cable O.D. of 0.137" to .240"

Which looks like the Amp connector would put me more-so in the middle of the range better.

OP
MrOneEyedBoh

MrOneEyedBoh

The Canare L-2T2S/Mogami w2549 are both balanced interconnect cables, poorly suited for RCA interconnects.
Choose a Canare or Mogami coax cable for RCA interconnects.
Such as Canare LV-61s or Mogami W2964?

OP
MrOneEyedBoh

MrOneEyedBoh

@Doodski I have both Loctite 60/40 solder and Kester 63/37 - both same size diameter - any preference?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Doodski I have both Loctite 60/40 solder and Kester 63/37 - both same size diameter - any preference?
I like 63/37 because it hardens differently and makes things easier to handle when working with fine stuff.

"63 37 solder uses the eutectic tin-to-lead alloy ratio and because it offers a low-melting temperature with a sharp melting/solidification point, which results in robust and reliable joints that are highly resistant to whisker formation."

OP
MrOneEyedBoh

MrOneEyedBoh

I like 63/37 because it hardens differently and makes things easier to handle when working with fine stuff.

"because it offers a low-melting temperature with a sharp melting/solidification point, which results in robust and reliable joints that are highly resistant to whisker formation."
While I have your ear, Im thinking about making new RCA cables ( while Im at it ) for my old Technics sl-1500 turntable. Any suggestions on RCA ends and cable for that as well? I may make it a bit longer to facilitate locating it closer or further away from the pre.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
63/37 is eutectic which means it goes instantly between liquid & solid with no mushy state, and it has the lowest melting temperature. But 60/40 is "close enough".

Assuming the solder has flux core the type of flux might be more important. It should be made for electronics. Plumbing solder may have acid which can damage electronics.

Traditional rosin flux works well but it's hard to clean and it's ugly (but it doesn't have to be cleaned, except maybe in RF circuits). There is "no clean" flux that leaves a clear residue. And there is water soluble flux that can be cleaned in water. Water soluble is used in most PCB production and they use DI water but regular water works too as long as you dry it with hot air or compressed air. Some components can't be submerged in water but of course connectors are OK. Water soluble flux is corrosive so it has to be cleaned.

OP
MrOneEyedBoh

MrOneEyedBoh

63/37 is eutectic which means it goes instantly between liquid & solid with no mushy state, and it has the lowest melting temperature. But 60/40 is "close enough".

Assuming the solder has flux core the type of flux might be more important. It should be made for electronics. Plumbing solder may have acid which can damage electronics.

Traditional rosin flux works well but it's hard to clean and it's ugly (but it doesn't have to be cleaned, except maybe in RF circuits). There is "no clean" flux that leaves a clear residue. And there is water soluble flux that can be cleaned in water. Water soluble is used in most PCB production and they use DI water but regular water works too as long as you dry it with hot air or compressed air. Some components can't be submerged in water but of course connectors are OK. Water soluble flux is corrosive so it has to be cleaned.

both are electronics. Loctite I think calls their flux: Ersin and the Kester is Rosin. At least that is what the spools say

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
While I have your ear, Im thinking about making new RCA cables ( while Im at it ) for my old Technics sl-1500 turntable. Any suggestions on RCA ends and cable for that as well? I may make it a bit longer to facilitate locating it closer or further away from the pre.
If the cable you selected has a full shield then that should suffice. But I am going to ask a turntable guru to double confirm and make sure the application does not require any sort of capacitive cable or something special.

@Suffolkhifinut when making a phono RCA cable does it require any special cabling? is there a capacitive requirement or such? I'm pretty sure you are a phone guru if my memory serves me correct.

OP
MrOneEyedBoh

MrOneEyedBoh

@Doodski @Suffolkhifinut Thanks for the help. Im going to get either Canare LV-61S or Mogami W2964 to make my regular RCA interconnects for tuner to pre, BT streaming device to pre etc. So if I can use that - then great! If not, I can get something else from Performance Audio - Just looking at what to get.

Top Bottom