• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking to improve TV audio setup

phrwn

My TV audio system has evolved into a bit of a mess and I'm wondering if I can improve both aesthetics and sound. But I don't know what I'm doing and looking things up is more than typically overwhelming because of all the different parts.

Here's what I've got now:
  • Old Panasonic plasma screen (which I'm keeping until it dies), AppleTV, Panasonic Blu-ray
  • Marantz NR1510 AVR
  • 2 x Paradigm Monitor S7 tower speakers
  • 1 x ELAC Uni-fi CCU5 center speaker - added to aid dialog which is lost in the mix with a basic stereo setup
  • 1 x Jamo SUB 800 subwoofer (probably woefully inadequate, but I switched out a big Monoprice sub in a house move to save space)
I have had it set up with rear channels as well, but running cables and having speakers and stands isn't working in the current space.

Looking at this goddamn Frankenstein's monster of a mess I'm wondering what would happen if I just replaced the towers, centre, and AV with two Genelec G Ones and one F One sub. Is that totally stupid? My first thought is losing the center channel will be a problem with the dialog again, so then I think just add three G Ones, but then I need to keep the AVR because the F One sub can only connect to two speakers. And then I wonder if G Ones (or higher) can adequately replace the towers. And then I start getting brain fatigue and here I am.

I don't need high volume, but would like to keep audio quality decent enough for sending music to the system via Airplay.

Any clues appreciated.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any clues appreciated.
On that particular lower-powered, non-bridged Marantz, you can probably use the speaker outputs as line drivers as per this Genelec adapter:
Speaker to XLR Genelec.jpg

The way you can verify that the amplifiers aren't bridged is to measure resistance from one speaker-minus connection to another. If they're all basically wired together, it's a pretty safe bet that you are good to go.

Top Bottom