• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking to choose a reliable/ easy to use desktop DAC.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
alot of HIFI peeps don't dable with audio interfaces because they assume it can't be as good as their HIFI DAC or don't know audio interfaces exist.
Exactly, that's why I mentioned my Yamaha MX49 Synth, Headphone out, Pre out, USB 2 channel 16bit/44.1KHz. Have no idea how it measures, but noisefree with my IEMs. But lacking a bit in power like the Scarlett and Behringer. My Behringer Xenix 1202USB mixer on the other hand have plenty of power. Probably wont measure that well compared to the dedicated DACs. To bulky to have on the desk.

FunkeXMix

Hmm mixers. Don't have experience with high end ones I guess. But the basic ones I have tried are impossible to get quality highs on. It's a muffled granny sound regardless of what you do with the knobs.

Last edited:

hrseldon

That's where your experience and mine differ. I had lot's of problem thru the years (old PC builder, OEM system) with both Asus and Creative.
If it works for you, I'm happy for you. I didn't make myself clear, if I'm connecting a DAC to my Windows 10 system I want the drivers to be included in the OS. Not some bloatware from Asus or Creative. We have enough trouble with USB as it is. That's also why I recommend using the Dolby or the DTS software that is accessible thru the windows store if you want surround sound. The Super X-fi is not the answer to everything. Test so far has shown that the effect is good in some cases and horrible in others. Seems to be a good amp/dac for stereo.

I'm with you on about third party drivers. They are the cause of most BSOD's. But the thing is native OS drivers support HD sounds to a degree , above that you still need drivers and this time drivers come from some small company who doesn't have enough funds for a mature driver. At least Creative is a big , experienced company who can support their products better(still not good enough maybe.).

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
But the thing is native OS drivers support HD sounds to a degree
You only need 44.1 kHz / 16bit and if you really, really want more go for 44.1 kHz / 24 bit (48 kHz for the surround formats), but that's my opinion.

Starcraft

Guys,

Hi there.

I just ordered a pair of headphones and if it goes well I intend to go for some more.

I need a dac and amp or a one device solution.

Already own a D30 in the living room stereo and it is great. Really great.

So what would you recommend? Needs to be small and have optica input for the xbox one x.

Top Bottom