• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking to buy a new amplifier like the Arcam rHead but more powerful

junki

I hope this community with its vast awareness of different amplifiers out in the ether can help me with this.

I've been using Arcam rHead for many years, and I love it. It doesn't have the lowest noise floor (or highest SINAD), but the noise floor it has is absolutely inaudible, and what it does well is excel in the audible vectors of amplifiers: minimal distortion through its gain range and a wonderful resistor-ladder volume control that maintains nigh-perfect channel matching across the volume position.

I'm looking for an amplifier that:
  1. Has a volume control that is not a potentiometer that ensures excellent channel matching and minimizes unit variation
  2. That can output a lot of power (that can comfortably drive a HE6se V2 for example)
  3. Doesn't need to be chart topping for SINAD, just needs to be inaudible, which is basically most production amplifiers on the market. Just including this here because this community tends to value different levels of absolutely inaudible noise floors.
  4. Ideally around $500 or less.
Is there such a thing? There seem to be a lot of great amplifiers, but they all use potentiometers.

Thanks so much.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope this community with its vast awareness of different amplifiers out in the ether can help me with this.

I've been using Arcam rHead for many years, and I love it. It doesn't have the lowest noise floor (or highest SINAD), but the noise floor it has is absolutely inaudible, and what it does well is excel in the audible vectors of amplifiers: minimal distortion through its gain range and a wonderful resistor-ladder volume control that maintains nigh-perfect channel matching across the volume position.

I'm looking for an amplifier that:
  1. Has a volume control that is not a potentiometer that ensures excellent channel matching and minimizes unit variation
  2. That can output a lot of power (that can comfortably drive a HE6se V2 for example)
  3. Doesn't need to be chart topping for SINAD, just needs to be inaudible, which is basically most production amplifiers on the market. Just including this here because this community tends to value different levels of absolutely inaudible noise floors.
  4. Ideally around $500 or less.
Is there such a thing? There seem to be a lot of great amplifiers, but they all use potentiometers.

Thanks so much.
The new /soon to be released topping A90d (the original A90 has a pot). The D has a resistor ladder volume I believe.

OP
junki

junki

The new /soon to be released topping A90d (the original A90 has a pot). The D has a resistor ladder volume I believe.
Is there a place online with more information about this product? A quick Google didn't turn anything up besides a bunch of A90 content.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found some information. Exciting. I wish it was available now.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a place online with more information about this product? A quick Google didn't turn anything up besides a bunch of A90 content.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found some information. Exciting. I wish it was available now.
I was just about to say, it's either in a separate thread on here or recent posts on the A90 review thread here or both.

mr k barnett

HI all ! - I also love my Arcam rHead headphone amp, and I'm heartbroken that it's discontinued, -- I too would like to ask ( at June 2023 ) what amps are now available and recommended as replacements, - ideally with the same or better "internals", design, and high quality output.

( IF I have to import one to here - the UK, I expect I would need an amp which again operates at 12V DC, with a detachable power chord, and that I would need a correct power chord with "step-down device" -- transformer ? -- for the UK's 240V AC).

Thanks for any replies.

Top Bottom