• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking to bring some speakers from UK to canada.

Querkle

Hello, while in the UK i have aquired a pair of KRK V6S4 for £250, which is a very good price as they normally go upwards of £400 each.

i have tried to sell them but it seems second hand no one is willing to pay me even £400 for the pair, so i think it makes sense to bring them with me.

on the back they say 100-240v and they list 2 different fuses for different voltages, ive looked and i can order the fuses needed easily

im of the understanding that if i simply switch the fuse it should work, but the fuse cover sais "use only with 250v fuse", which is quite contradictory to the other labelling

posting here to make sure im not crazy and that a simple fuse switch should work.
IMG_1795.JPG

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you halve the voltage, you double the current, so it makes sense that the 110V fusing should be twice the 220V fusing.
The power supply is presumably a Switch-Mode supply that can work at anything from 100-240V, so you just need to have the appropriate fuse.

S.

OP
Q

Querkle

If you halve the voltage, you double the current, so it makes sense that the 110V fusing should be twice the 220V fusing.
The power supply is presumably a Switch-Mode supply that can work at anything from 100-240V, so you just need to have the appropriate fuse.

S.
thanks, thats exactly what i thought, however the bit saying use only with 250v fuse on the fuse itself is the only worrying bit, perhaps that entire socket needs to be replaced?

edit:

well if i am able to get them back to canada and they work on 120v i may send one to amir for testing :)

Sokel

Master Contributor

S.
I don't think that's the case here,if it was they wouldn't have marked the 240V box.
It maybe can work with both conditions AFTER an external or internal switch or connection is in place.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks, thats exactly what i thought, however the bit saying use only with 250v fuse on the fuse itself is the only worrying bit, perhaps that entire socket needs to be replaced?

edit:

well if i am able to get them back to canada and they work on 120v i may send one to amir for testing :)
No need to replace the socket. Most equipment these days uses 20mm fuses, which as far as I know are rated at 250V, although 1 1/4" fuses are more common in North America, but even those (I think!) are rated at 250V -at least, I've not come across any which weren't.

S.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think that's the case here,if it was they wouldn't have marked the 240V box.
It maybe can work with both conditions AFTER an external or internal switch or connection is in place.
It seems to me that the 240v box was marked because it's been fitted with a 3.15Amp fuse, not because it can't work over the full range.

S.

Sokel

Master Contributor
It seems to me that the 240v box was marked because it's been fitted with a 3.15Amp fuse, not because it can't work over the full range.

S.
I couldn't find this exact model but Rokit 5 manual says that there are completely different models for the various continental systems.
It's better to confirm it before plug it.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It says slow on the label, that's what the T in T3.15A indicates. A Fast blow fuse would be labelled as F3.15A
S.

OP
Q

Querkle

I couldn't find this exact model but Rokit 5 manual says that there are completely different models for the various continental systems.
It's better to confirm it before plug it.
id say KRK is likely to give an incompetant answer even about there own products.

S.
this was exactly what i was thinking and hoping, so i guess i will just have to try and find out, i guess if something else does need to be changed i can hopefully do that, but i cant imagine what it would be.

Sokel

Master Contributor
id say KRK is likely to give an incompetant answer even about there own products.

this was exactly what i was thinking and hoping, so i guess i will just have to try and find out, i guess if something else does need to be changed i can hopefully do that, but i cant imagine what it would be.
What's the voltage in Canada?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Almost all line fuses for consumer electronics are rated at 250VAC. I'm guessing it's because that is the maximum voltage found in any country and it would allow even an underrated fuse (amperage wise) to work anywhere.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Then it's a gamble plugging a 240V device in 120V voltage plug.
Ask KRK for that!
It uses an universal power supply and will work in a 240 and 120 volt power grid.
Some electronics have a little (usually) red switch that allows the user to switch between 120 and 240, but a lot of modern electronics are designed to be used in either voltage.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Some electronics have a little (usually) red switch that allows the user to switch between 120 and 240, but a lot of modern electronics are designed to be used in either voltage.
I know of them,mine uses PFC and is universal.
I was concerned by the fact that they are marked as 240V version but as long as people here are sure they are universal then it's fine by me.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I know of them,mine uses PFC and is universal.
I was concerned by the fact that they are marked as 240V version but as long as people here are sure they are universal then it's fine by me.
Yea, I understand your concern, but I believe the 240 marking is indicating the currently installed fuse size.

Top Bottom