• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking into a step up transformer for my Koetsu Black, trying to lower noise floor

OP
drewdawg999

drewdawg999

Would like to update that after sorting out some alignment issues with my cartridge, everything is fine now. Dirty Work plays without problems thank you very much. Tried out all my problem records and they all played fine. Really digging Brubeck's Time Out right now, old Columbia pressing sounds fantastic, the Gyro definitely passing the piano torture test. This table is in its prime, backup P3 got moved to another room, can't compete with a Michell Koetsu setup.

AaronJ

I also have a SUT made by Ned Clayton with Cinemag 3440AH's, and I asked him to also install a bypass switch. I use 1:9 with my Denon DL-103.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
How about a nice pair of Sony HAT-10 transformers?
Yes they are perfect for the job, I have got got the rebranded Ortofon T-5. I did not have a noise problem with my RIAA/set up, but the measured noise floor went down with these SUT.

But Moving the RIAA away from nearby internal transfformers has a very large impact and should be tried first. I found 25db difference in noise floor between the worst and best location…

The SUT are the tiny white boxes on the two cables going in to the left.Here is the noise level at 36 db gain + 26 from the SUT, in reality the gain is 61db here.
IMG_1873.jpeg

These babies are linear too.
Post in thread 'Fun with vinyl measurements'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...un-with-vinyl-measurements.20278/post-1644372

Post in thread 'Fun with vinyl measurements'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...un-with-vinyl-measurements.20278/post-1641539

EDIT PS: As the original posters RIAA has a minimum gain of 40db, a SUT at 26 may be too much, and the noise may still be high if the RIAA is not quiet enough..

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
24-26db is a bit classic with 0.3-0.4(koetsu)-0.5mv..
but on low output levels it will generally be classically more than 30..32db or more...
;-)

OP
drewdawg999

drewdawg999

EDIT PS: As the original posters RIAA has a minimum gain of 40db, a SUT at 26 may be too much, and the noise may still be high if the RIAA is not quiet enough..
Well my current SUT has adjustable gain, and I like 20:1 as opposed to 10:1 and what's in between. It seems high at 66dB total gain, 8mV going into my phono pre, but the volume on my Pre90 is usually at -12.0dB for vinyl, which seems good to me. Can't hear any distortion, I think my phono pre overloads at 20mV. I'd say my SUT mission was a success as things are dead quiet, only limited by surface noise as it should be. Enjoying MC delicacy without any hiss, yet so much fine detail and dynamic power. Brings the happy happy and I love it.

Top Bottom