• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for XLR to RCA adapter with pin 3 floating. Where to find one?

EB1000

Hi

I want to split balanced XLR output to balanced power amp and a single ended subwoofer. ALL XLR to RCA available on Amazon or anywhere else have pin 3 (cold) attached to pin 1 (gnd), which short circuit the cold output. I really don't understand the logic in such configuration, which is only good for RCA to XLR, not the other way around. Anyone knows such adapter?

Thanks

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably can get cables that are xlr to rca, and snip the shorting connection.

D

Deleted member 2944

Hi

I want to split balanced XLR output to balanced power amp and a single ended subwoofer. ALL XLR to RCA available on Amazon or anywhere else have pin 3 (cold) attached to pin 1 (gnd), which short circuit the cold output. I really don't understand the logic in such configuration, which is only good for RCA to XLR, not the other way around. Anyone knows such adapter?

Thanks
Most equipment has a high enough output impedance on Pin 3 that shorting will not cause any issue. And indeed you would require that short circuit on some equipment to make the conversion operate correctly.......ie, transformer output.

But regardless, (as the fellas have mentioned) it's usually pretty easy to perform surgery on an adaptor/cable to snip the Pin 1/3 short.

Dave.

OP
EB1000

EB1000

Most equipment has a high enough output impedance on Pin 3 that shorting will not cause any issue. And indeed you would require that short circuit on some equipment to make the conversion operate correctly.......ie, transformer output.

But regardless, (as the fellas have mentioned) it's usually pretty easy to perform surgery on an adaptor/cable to snip the Pin 1/3 short.

Dave.

The output is shared (split) with the power amp input, which is balanced. If pin 3 is shorted to ground, it will reduce the voltage on the amp input by half, since both sub and amp share the same ground. I still don't understand why all XLR to RCA cables are configured this why...

Thanks

Veri

Master Contributor
The output is shared (split) with the power amp input, which is balanced. If pin 3 is shorted to ground, it will reduce the voltage on the amp input by half, since both sub and amp share the same ground. I still don't understand why all XLR to RCA cables are configured this why...
Even when not shorted and kept floating, you still have half the voltage of the XLR signal, RCA simply does not have both a negative and positive pin. Options are short half, or not connect half. No way to connect both + and -

OP
EB1000

EB1000

Even when not shorted and kept floating, you still have half the voltage of the XLR signal, RCA simply does not have both a negative and positive pin. Options are short half or not connect half, no way to connect both + and -

I was talking about the power amp, which accept true balanced 4V. I have a balanced XLR output which will be split between the power amp as balanced and the subwoofer (via 2X4HD) which is SE. Is the cable to the 2X4HD shorts pin 3 with 1, it will do the same for the balanced power amp input as well, making the signal SE @ 2V, and god knows how will the preamp react the it's cold output shorted to ground...

D

Deleted member 2944

Thanks
Yeah, I know how it works.

Further.....some professional equipment has a scheme on the balanced outputs that will sense a pin 1/3 short and adjust the voltage gain upward on the Pin 2 output to compensate.
In that case, you would get your lost 6db back.

I think it is proper for manufacturers to configure XLR-to-RCA cables in this way. If they didn't, some users would find the interface not working at all.

Dave.

D

Deleted member 2944

I'd be happy if the wiring was clearly indicated.
It's just assumed people know this. (And they do in the professional world.)
The Pin 1/3 short is standard practice and commercial cables have been wired this way for many decades.

The Rane note identifies both configurations that an XLR --> RCA might require.
https://www.ranecommercial.com/kb_article.php?article=2107

And this topic has already been touched on in numerous threads here at the ASR.

Dave.

wgb113

Have BJC make them?

mansr

Major Contributor
It's just assumed people know this. (And they do in the professional world.)
The Pin 1/3 short is standard practice and commercial cables have been wired this way for many decades.

The Rane note identifies both configurations that an XLR --> RCA might require.
https://www.ranecommercial.com/kb_article.php?article=2107

And this topic has already been touched on in numerous threads here at the ASR.

Dave.
Since at least two wirings are plausible, how does a professional "just know" which one a particular specimen has?

D

Deleted member 2944

If they purchase a cable they know how it will be wired......'with' the Pin 1/3 short.
They would then modify it for their particular application, if needed, because they know their equipment.
They're professionals, not audiophiles, so they don't need their hand held every step of the way.

Dave.

mansr

Major Contributor
If they purchase a cable they know how it will be wired......'with' the Pin 1/3 short.
They would then modify it for their particular application, if needed, because they know their equipment.
They're professionals, not audiophiles, so they don't need their hand held every step of the way.

Dave.
Audio is a truly remarkable field. In my line of work, reading the spec sheet to determine whether a product meets your needs is considered normal.

Bob Lee

Will the subwoofer share a ground with the power amp, including the safety ground (the ground prong on the power plug)?

Is it a two-channel amp? Two inputs into the subwoofer?

Top Bottom