• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for upgrade over broken Oppo PM-3 Budget £300 to £500

niknaks

Had my Oppo PM-3 since about 2016 however sadly died this week and was unable to repair them. As I don't have any back up pairs, I'm really after getting a new set of headphones ASAP.

I am after something that is an upgrade over my Oppo PM-3 within my budget.

Budget:

£300 (GPB) to £500(GPB), may be able to go to £600(GPB) if the extra cost offers a big upgrade but would rather not if can be helped. If not really anything that is an improvement over the PM-3 in that price range then the cheapest one that is closest to it will do.

Source/AMP:

Will be used with PC/TV and a Sony NWZA-15 Walkman. I do plan to upgrade my Sony Walkman to a DAP later in the year but have yet to settle on one but will try and match a good one with whatever headphones I get.

I have no AMP, unsure if I really need one as I play my music lower than what is normal for most people and really not a fan of loudness.

How the gear will be used:

It will be mostly used indoors, however, will be used in public spaces such as shops and transport as well. I need the headphone to be close back and have low sound leakage if any. I don’t need it to be sound cancelling, however.

I will mostly be using them for watching movies/tv shows and general pc usage within the day. They will get used to playing music just not as much as the other tasks listed.

I do wear glasses but only when using the TV, so this won't be an overly common thing.

I will have them on for at least 6 hours if not longer in one sitting, so need something comfortable. I found the Oppo PM-3 comfortable but also had a pair of HD-25s which started to give me earache after long use.

Size doesn’t really matter much, will be using them outdoor but always have a bag with me they can go in when needed to.

Preferred tonal balance:

Really don’t have one outside not being overly bassy, as heavy bass gives me a headache.

Preferred music genres:

I mostly listen to classic music and rock before the 90’s so from stuff like Beatles to anything like Iron Maiden.

I avoid music like rave, rap, dance, techno and other similar genres.

But 80% of its use will be for watching movies or general pc usage

Other info:
Rather avoid anything with leather if possible.
I'd prefer wired headphones
Replaceable cable is a must.
I am based in the UK, so unable to order things from sites like Drop

Any help would be greatly appreciated and happy to give any more info if needed.

John0

You need to hear Austrian Audio Hi-X 60 (or, if you don’t need closed back, Hi-X 65). There are almost none around to demo, but some sellers will allow returns. John

Michou

Had my Oppo PM-3 since about 2016 however sadly died this week and was unable to repair them. As I don't have any back up pairs, I'm really after getting a new set of headphones ASAP.

I am after something that is an upgrade over my Oppo PM-3 within my budget.

Budget:

£300 (GPB) to £500(GPB), may be able to go to £600(GPB) if the extra cost offers a big upgrade but would rather not if can be helped. If not really anything that is an improvement over the PM-3 in that price range then the cheapest one that is closest to it will do.

Source/AMP:

Will be used with PC/TV and a Sony NWZA-15 Walkman. I do plan to upgrade my Sony Walkman to a DAP later in the year but have yet to settle on one but will try and match a good one with whatever headphones I get.

I have no AMP, unsure if I really need one as I play my music lower than what is normal for most people and really not a fan of loudness.

How the gear will be used:

It will be mostly used indoors, however, will be used in public spaces such as shops and transport as well. I need the headphone to be close back and have low sound leakage if any. I don’t need it to be sound cancelling, however.

I will mostly be using them for watching movies/tv shows and general pc usage within the day. They will get used to playing music just not as much as the other tasks listed.

I do wear glasses but only when using the TV, so this won't be an overly common thing.

I will have them on for at least 6 hours if not longer in one sitting, so need something comfortable. I found the Oppo PM-3 comfortable but also had a pair of HD-25s which started to give me earache after long use.

Size doesn’t really matter much, will be using them outdoor but always have a bag with me they can go in when needed to.

Preferred tonal balance:

Really don’t have one outside not being overly bassy, as heavy bass gives me a headache.

Preferred music genres:

I mostly listen to classic music and rock before the 90’s so from stuff like Beatles to anything like Iron Maiden.

I avoid music like rave, rap, dance, techno and other similar genres.

But 80% of its use will be for watching movies or general pc usage

Other info:
Rather avoid anything with leather if possible.
I'd prefer wired headphones
Replaceable cable is a must.
I am based in the UK, so unable to order things from sites like Drop

Any help would be greatly appreciated and happy to give any more info if needed.
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 MkII
Sennheiser HD560S (Open back)
Beyer Dynamics DT700 Pro X
Thinksound On2
Meze 99 Classics
Final Audio Sonorous III
Shure SRH1540
Sony MDR-Z7M2

Ashimaru

Edifier Stax Spirit S3. Planar magnetic, closed back, bass is not boosted, can use wired or wireless.

Construct

Dan Clark Audio ÆON RT.

I went from PM-3 to the ÆON RT and I've been very happy with the upgrade.

Peterinvan

Look for a bargain on the Focal Elegia.

Barry_Sound

Im not a big headphone listener but I tried Grado once and was impressed. I think you can get them on Amazon easily.

Top Bottom